Creatine...to load or not to load and other questions

Options
I just ordered this for my son. What are the benefits of loading? I realize it will saturate his muscles faster, but is there a real benefit to that? Is it in anyway harmful to load? He does drink a lot of water.

What's the best way to take it? Is adding it to his post workout protein shake sufficient? Should he take it all at once, or half before and half after his workout?

Also, based on his weight the chart I saw said he should use 8-12 grams yet I read somewhere else just 5 grams. In case it makes any difference, I order Optimum Nutrition Pure Creatine Monohydrate.

Replies

• corsairpro
    Options
    EZ Mode: Just have him eat a clean protein rich diet and supplement with 5g / day. Meat (especially beef) will have naturally occurring creatine.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    EZ Mode: Just have him eat a clean protein rich diet and supplement with 5g / day. Meat (especially beef) will have naturally occurring creatine.

He does pretty much eat that way, although we eat a lot more chicken and fish. We only cook beef about once a week.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of debate out there about whether or not to load at the front of a creatine cycle and almost as much as to whether one even needs to cycle creatine. I have not done a load phase with creatine but it is obviously working because when I am NOT using it, I can see/feel the difference within a couple of days. I'm still not convinced on the whole cycling thing.

LOL, the Hodge Twins say you don't need to so I'll probably just go with that.