Starting strength training & maintaining?

Options
Hey guys, just wondering is there many of you in the same boat as me i'm maintaining now as I have reached my goal weight but trying to work on my body comp and have finally started to do some strength training.
Looking for advice what are other people's experiences with this?..is it likely i will put on some weight or will it just be newbie gains from the resistence training...

Replies

• coffeepuff
    coffeepuff Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining about 5 weeks and strength training for ~3 weeks. I gained 3-4 pounds when I started, I think because I ate the same way I would after a strength workout as I would after a long run, which is just not feasible. I only do a 20 minute strength workout, so it's just not comparible calorie-wise to an hour run.

I tried to watch my calories, I added a short cardio element to my lifting days (jump roping), and I dropped back down to maintenance weight. I'm happy with my (slowly) developing muscles. :) If you don't have one, I'd definitely recommend a scale that includes fat and muscle %s. It made me feel better about lifting when the scale wasn't moving anywhere but I could see my muscle % increasing and fat % decreasing. :D
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. But during 2 years of steadily losing and reaching (beyond) my goal, I was never far from strength and resistance training. In fact, lots of bodyweight training (pilates and TRX, intensive, and HIIT), and less on cardio. Now I am upper my weight training and slightly upping cardio (different kinds, more within circuits) just for fun. I am not tracking much yet, but I think I should expect some weight gain because I build muscles pretty well. I stil watch my calories but set it higher, as without that I cannot sculpt and tone! Good luck with your new routine!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you're actually eating at maintenance (which requires some trial and error) the only gain you should see on the scale is from inflammation from sore muscles.

But really, it's best to ignore the scale and focus on how clothes fit and photos. Last fall, when I was really kicking *kitten* with lifting, I had to keep upping my calories. I wasn't really losing pounds, but I was starting to get a little too low in body fat for my own personal liking.

If the number goes up on the scale, but your pants start falling down, you're not going to be upset about it. :wink:
  • lornathommo
    Options
    With strength training I only notice an increase in the scale if I weigh within the next 24hours - other than that no difference. I've decreased my cardio a little and upped my strength training. 60min gym sessions have gone from a 600cal burn to about 350. But I'm under goal weight and feeling fab. Strength training burns calories for hours AFTER exercise too (apparently) so it's got to be a good thing. Leg press, leg curl, chest press and low row are apparently 4 of the best calorie burning weight based exercises to do :)
    Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, on the off chance that someone is reading this who is still trying to lose fat, please do not wait to start strength training until you reach your goal weight. It is much easier to lose fat than it is to build muscle. We do strength training in part to hold on to our lean body mass, i.e., bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles--all of these get heavier with strength training. And heavier is not a bad thing.

To answer your question, I have been maintaining my weight since about March (I think--at least that's when I stopped caring about it much), and in that time I have increased my intake quite a bit to my current maintenance level of 2400 kcal/day. Strength training requires eating for recovery. If you do it right, it requires a loooot of eating.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Well, on the off chance that someone is reading this who is still trying to lose fat, please do not wait to start strength training until you reach your goal weight. It is much easier to lose fat than it is to build muscle. We do strength training in part to hold on to our lean body mass, i.e., bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles--all of these get heavier with strength training. And heavier is not a bad thing.

To answer your question, I have been maintaining my weight since about March (I think--at least that's when I stopped caring about it much), and in that time I have increased my intake quite a bit to my current maintenance level of 2400 kcal/day. Strength training requires eating for recovery. If you do it right, it requires a loooot of eating.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm still 30-35lbs from maintenance but I keep waiting for an excuse to start weight training, and I don't want to wait until I'm at goal. Unsure of exactly where to start though, especially when eating at a deficit and doing lots of cardio. I wonder what the best exercises are to maintain what muscle I have, squats with weights, lunges and dead lifts, I suppose?
  • bumblebums
    Options

Thanks for the reminder, I'm still 30-35lbs from maintenance but I keep waiting for an excuse to start weight training, and I don't want to wait until I'm at goal. Unsure of exactly where to start though, especially when eating at a deficit and doing lots of cardio. I wonder what the best exercises are to maintain what muscle I have, squats with weights, lunges and dead lifts, I suppose?

That's a really good time to get serious about weight training, since you are presumably not extremely obese at this point--and therefore in more danger of losing muscle rather than fat from dieting.

Compound lifts with free weights are the best use of your time at the gym--the ones you mention are all excellent. For upper body lifts, the overhead press and bench press and chin-ups are my favorite; dumbbell rows are also great. Some people use resistance bands instead of/in addition to weights.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just wondering is there many of you in the same boat as me i'm maintaining now as I have reached my goal weight but trying to work on my body comp and have finally started to do some strength training.
    Looking for advice what are other people's experiences with this?..is it likely i will put on some weight or will it just be newbie gains from the resistence training...

You should gain weight on a strength training program. How much and what type depends on your age, gender, intensity, diet and supplement program.

Select a good program that fits your goals and have at it for a few months. Calculate your TDEE and Macro requirements and watch for fat gains in case calcs are off.
    Many roads to get there and no one route is correct.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Something not making sense here. I think it's the "goal weight" concept. Lift weights, improve your body composition and aesthetics. When you look your best you will weight what you weigh.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

That's a really good time to get serious about weight training, since you are presumably not extremely obese at this point--and therefore in more danger of losing muscle rather than fat from dieting.

Compound lifts with free weights are the best use of your time at the gym--the ones you mention are all excellent. For upper body lifts, the overhead press and bench press and chin-ups are my favorite; dumbbell rows are also great. Some people use resistance bands instead of/in addition to weights.
    Thanks! I think I've just been over-complicating it.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I went into maintenance in December and began strength training in February. My weight has remained stable throughout, but I've seen some great changes in my composition.
  • lornathommo
    Options
    Something not making sense here. I think it's the "goal weight" concept. Lift weights, improve your body composition and aesthetics. When you look your best you will weight what you weigh.

Exactly! Who cares about a 7lb gain when you drop a dress size, tone up and feel great :)
  • bumblebums
    Options

Yep. Women tend to fixate on weight and constantly compare themselves against charts and celebrities (who are probably lying about their weight anyway). It is normal for serious lifters to start looking better as they get heavier, and women are no exception. Unless someone has to pick you up and carry you (as in, you are a dancer or a jockey), your weight does not matter.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and offer your advice, very helpful. :)I am trying to move away from the mindset of the scale, while it was good to have goal weight while I was loosing now I am more focused on body comp so need to work towards this and not be fearful of a slight gain. As long as im eating right and training right should be fine.

Also wish I had started strength training sooner, this website has really taught me the benefits of it looking at others progress and everything, already looking forward to my session again...just need to get some weights for home now so I can do it myself during the week.