From 2 consecutive pushups to 15 in 2 months? possible?

Options
Can one go from doing 2 consecutive *non-modified* pushups to 15 in 2 months? What I mean is, is that possible or should I give myself more time? My chest is pretty weak but I train hard and would love to accomplish this within 2 months. Thanks!

Replies

• cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, It's possible. I went from 0 to 20 in about two months. I would do 3 - 4 sets of 20 push-ups starting with as many full push-ups as I could do and then drop to modified push-ups for the rest of the set. I found I could slowly do more and more full push-ups before I had to drop to modified push-ups.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    It's definitely possible. However, everyone is different and achieves goals at different times. The only way to truly find out is to keep training and in 2 months you may surprise yourself by how far you've come!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you weigh but that's well within the achievable range
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did..... First day after turning 33 I did my first, second and third and up to fifteen 'proper'' push up.
    Two months ago I could only dream. It's the best birthday present I gave myself. So go for it!! I did a lot of strength training (using the Trax system or whatever it is called) and a lot of planks.

Good luck with your efforts.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    VERY possible. Just get on a regular schedule of doing some sets several times a week. I like what someone suggested of doing as many normal ones within a set, then drop to modified for the rest.

I started with 5 sets of 5 for awhile, then went to 3 sets of 10 as a routine. You'll build up faster than you think.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I find push-ups build up really fast. I went from 3-7 in no time, then added a little slower, then got lazy and was back down to 7, pre-pregnancy.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did. I started with modified pushups (hands on a chair, none of that knee business, doing it on your knees doesn't engage your core and will make for a difficult transition). Once i could easily do 15 on the chair, I moved to the floor and could do more than 2, more like 7 well, and I added from there. But I was doing this in combination with other types of pushups, seated dips, let me ups, and some other upper body bodyweight stuff.