Help - alternatives to salty condiments wanted!

Options
Hey everyone - so I've recently started tracking my sugar and sodium intake on mfp and realised that I seem to have an unhealthy relationship with salty condiments, mainly the ones I use to flavour my steamed vegies which I've been eating regularly thinking I was so good. I had no idea that a teaspoon of soy or fish or sambal oeleck sauce here and there would have such an affect on my sodium levels, but it's only afternoon and I already gone over my rdi! This can't be good for my weight-loss/healthy eating regime!

Anyone have any good ideas for low-cal condiments which are also lower in salt? I guess the more natural the better right so it doesn't necessarily have to be something out of a bought jar, but I find plain steamed vegetables a little too boring!

All suggestions appreciated!
:happy:

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    if you look in the seasoning isle at the grocery store, i believe there are numerous varieties that are either very low in sodium or completely sodium free all together. i'm talking about stuff like mrs. dash and that sort of stuff. i think they make ones specifically for different types of foods.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash is salt free and I like alot of the flavors!
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A little bit of garlic will brighten the flavor. Celery seeds are nice too. I like to put a twig of thyme in with the veggies while they steam, but I like strong earthy flavors.

There are low sodium soy sauce choices available, but sometimes a pinch of just plain salt will go a long way. I mean a real pinch. Shake it into you palm, pinch it, and dash it. Put what's left back in the shaker. If possible, get a salt pig, a shallow dish for holding salt in the open. Shakers make it too easy to put too much salt on.
  • chica510
    chica510 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    use garlic and a little olive oil to saute all vegetables. Add basil to saute green beans. try using fresh lemon juice too.:smile:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I use garlic or garlic powder to season veggies....also there's hot sauce if you like spicy...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Two words.... Lemon Pepper!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    oooh I love ground cumin too! I forgot about that one earlier! :happy:
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    You might want to try using nutritional yeast. I love it sprinkled on my roast vegetables (and lots of other things), so I think it would be great for steamed veggies. It has an earthy-nutty-cheesy flavor. It manages to taste a little salty to me, without having any sodium. A quarter cup (I rarely use more than a tablespoon or two) has 45 calories, .5g fat, 0mg sodium, 5g carbs, 3g fiber, 6g protein. Its also really high in Thiamin and B-12, which is a big plus.

Another good trick for veggies is fresh lime juice. I remember seeing a cooking show where they said to use a little fresh lime juice on your veggies in place of salt. I was a bit skeptical, but it was really good.
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love lemon pepper and I have "nu-salt" for when I really just want salt. I also use garlic powder quite a bit.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would give up salt and switch to Mrs. Dash. They have so many flavors, that you put those on first, then sprinkle the tiniest bit of salt...you wont even miss the salt....
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great - thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I will have to look for Mrs Dash (not sure they stock it in Australia).

Great ideas!! It might be my imagination, but I feel like a look a bit puffier when I have too much salt...is there any truth in that?
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Maybe. Salt consumption foster water retention...