• evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mm4ss2leVl1s6b3sdo1_500.jpg

L2KmHlX.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fine starter gym, especially if you're mainly interested in cardio. Makes more sense to join a gym at $10 a month than to buy a treadmill or elliptical for home.

I was a member for about a year and a half, until I realized that I wanted to focus more on free weights than machines, and that I hated indoor cardio. So I bought weights for home and do all my running outside.
  • glheureux56
    Options
    Thats where I go. Cheaper than a treadmill. Ours have a friendly staff
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness wasn't for me, didn't felt like I got anything out of it when I worked plus any place that has fitness in it's name that has bagel morning and pizza party night not a place for me

Sounds like the place for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to try it out because its really cheap and I can afford $10 a month while saving for my vacation. But I looked them up online and the reviews are the worst I've ever read. Ever. Anyone have personal experience with them? Is it worth it or not?
    There isn't one here. People post a lot about it on these boards, though, and whether it's good or bad seems to depend entirely on the location.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It works for me at the moment.

I kick *kitten* there on a regular basis.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fine starter gym, especially if you're mainly interested in cardio. Makes more sense to join a gym at $10 a month than to buy a treadmill or elliptical for home.

I was a member for about a year and a half, until I realized that I wanted to focus more on free weights than machines, and that I hated indoor cardio. So I bought weights for home and do all my running outside.
    Ugh. Even when I belonged to a gym, if I couldn't do my cardio outside (weather), I LOVED having my elliptical at home. I have it in my bedroom in front of a television, so I can watch DVDs, Netflix, whatever in the comfort and self-controlled climate of my own home. I ONLY use gym cardio equipment if I'm with a friend so we can talk and distract each other.

If all you want is cardio and you can afford it, I personally would do it outside when possible and buy home equipment for when not (of course, only once you've established a routine and know you'll use it).
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I'm a Gold's Gym kinda girl, but thankfully can workout at home.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    the one I went to, to apply for a membership, didn't have a squat rack. only a smith machine, I walked out quicker than I walked in
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Oh, but they do have free pizza on Saturdays...

ROFL, that really helps their members reach their goals. :noway:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is WONDERFUL! Open 24/7, and lots of equipment. Friendly staff, and they do have trainers to help you - look for the schedule at the front desk.

Uh...

...just so we're all clear here...

...there is more than one PF location in the world.

I suspect this review may not be relevant to all of them...and seem to be at odds with the reviews OP read.

I'd put a lot more weight on specific reviews of the location in question over general reviews of the franchise itself. At $10/month w/ no contract though, if it's convenient to you, then it's at least worth looking into further.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    People are quick to post negative reviews, but people who love something often don't take the time to say so. Go look at the location near you and see what the equipment is like. Even if it is mostly cardio equipment, it could be worth it if you live in a place where it is impractical to exercise outside. For ten bucks a month, you can't expect many perks. Nevertheless, the facility should be clean, well organized, and the equipment should be functional. It might be perfectly sufficient for what you want to accomplish, Don't forget - some of the best exercises can be done with body weight - squats, lunges, dips, planks, push-ups, etc.
  • kdangiolillo
    Options
    I tried PF to begin with and it's exactly that, a beginner gym. One that isn't too serious about training their people and serves junk food to their participants. No gym that is serious is going to give you pizza, bagels and candy after your workout. They'll be giving you protein to nourish your muscles that you just worked out. My stay at PF lasted 2 1/2 months and I went to Anytime Fitness where I have found it to be very much an active and non-intimidating gym.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    It has it's pros and cons. It's hard to beat $10 a month. The one I go to has plenty of treadmills, elliptical, exercise bikes, etc... They have plenty of dumbells, barbells, and exercise machines.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    hell no. Even if you find one of the 2% if then that have barrels, they ban Deadlifts, ohp, etc.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    I don't like it because of no free weights. But if you're looking for weight machines and lots of equipment for cardio you can't beat the price considering around here gyms are about $40 a month.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    hell no. Even if you find one of the 2% if then that have barrels, they ban Deadlifts, ohp, etc.

i deadlift and ohp at my PF no problem

they have a squat rack and plenty of dumbbells

like i said it works for me at the moment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because of no free weights. But if you're looking for weight machines and lots of equipment for cardio you can't beat the price considering around here gyms are about $40 a month.
    The one I used had free weights. Not a ton, but they definitely had free weights.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Oh, but they do have free pizza on Saturdays...

ROFL, that really helps their members reach their goals. :noway:

What's wrong with pizza???
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is WONDERFUL! Open 24/7, and lots of equipment. Friendly staff, and they do have trainers to help you - look for the schedule at the front desk.

Nice try, Planet Fitness PR rep