Military Personnel...

Options
Calling all people who are in the military, know someone in the military or thinking of going in the military. I've recently been thinking of going into the military (in a year) mostly to pay off school loans and get some schooling paid for. I'm seeking opinions, advice, anything really in regards to military life.

Thanks...

Replies

• doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    First question: What branch? What applies to the Army (where I spent 6 years) may not apply to the Navy for example. All branches have their own lingo, their own traditions.

In general, I enjoyed being in the military. There is a LOT of mickey-mouse initially (especially in boot camp), but once you get past that it's a lot better. I was in from 1985 to 1991, and did one tour over in the Persian Gulf.

Do not go into the military with the idea that you will never see combat. These days, you probably WILL.

Don't believe ANYTHING your recruiter says. Recruiters are the used-car salesmen of the military, and many of them will lie through their teeth to get you to sign up. Make them put it in writing.

Read EVERYTHING on your enlistment contract BEFORE you sign it.

Start getting in shape before you sign up. Overweight recruits tend to become the butt of the platoon - ever see "Full Metal Jacket"?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you're joining just to pay for school, don't do it.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Why wait a year instead of joining now?

What type of job are you considering?

Do you have any medical issues? How is your criminal record? Any drug history?

How old are you?

It is getting harder and hard to get into the service, at least I know it is for the Army. The standards are getting tighter as more people want in, but don't meet the basic requirements.

I am prior service (US Army Active, Army National Guard and Army Reserve) and married to an Army Recruiter. I also have worked as an Admin for USAREC.

The military is a great life, if you do what you need to when you need to. No goofing off at work, can follow (and sometimes give) orders, can deal with moving around a lot and other things the military life brings.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm a USAFA grad and spent 7.5 on active duty in the USAF. You are a grad student and 26 so you would be a couple of years behind in terms of commissioned officers by age--not a big deal. OCS will be challenging if you are still needing to take off some weight so that would be a big challenge. Main thing is as has already been pointed out, this is not just some job, it's the military. That entails a different lifestyle than you are used to and you need to ensure that kind of rigorous life is for you. They will make you earn the perks.
  • Ashiieepuff
    Options
    I second the notion that if you're only joining to pay for school, it's probably not a good idea. Don't adopt a whole new lifestyle for X amount of years just to get yourself out of a school debt!

I leave for Army Basic Training at the end of October. I'm 21, and it took me nearly 4 years to make this decision. Don't rush into anything, make sure you're 100% certain!
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ::I posted this to the OP in a message, but then I though about it, and it needs to be posted?::

Here is my background with the military...I was born on a base (Air Force) my older brother was born on a base. I have lived all over the united states and Europe. It was a blast...but on the other hand I can't remember most of the names of people I went to school with because there were so many moves, 5 high schools in 4 years, 3 countries...my parents (both Air Force) divorced when we were young and actually married other active duty Air Force personnel, so all 4 of my parents (they have all been married for over 30 years now) were all career 20+ years Air Force. My brother did about 10 years in the Navy and still regrets getting out.

But no, I would NOT change the way I grew up, ran the moors in Scotland, eaten real pizza in Italy, been to more castles and 500-1000 year old cathedrals than I care to, went to Holland on class trips, measured glaciers in the Swiss Alps in Girl Scouts, I have seen the military battle fields spanning 1000 years, I have been to Normandy, real bull fights in Spain, traveled all over the US.

That knowledge and experiences I would never change for anything.

But there was also the bases getting locked down, the school buses bombed, the flight lines getting blown up, seeing kids going home because their parents were killed on some mission or terrorist attack. (and don't think they haven't been going on for the last 100+ years) even back in the early 80's I think (I was just little), they bombed the main gate at Rhein Main, Frankfurt Germany, it was Al Queida (sp) back then and they locked the base down for 2 weeks (and we lived on the economy, so my brother and I had to stay with our base host family for 2+ weeks)...You are too young to remember the Iran Hostages, but I remember when they came home, mom snuck my brother and I on the flight light and watched Reagan get off the plane to great them when the first landed on NATO soil. I also remember seeing my dad cry for the first time EVER when the first rescue mission for the hostages was downed in a sandstorm. So there is good and bad...but these experiences make us who we are today.

But, we also moved ALOT, but my brother and I didn't know any better since it was all we had known. You just did it? And yes, I have 3 full shot records, not sure what they ever stuck us all with either? I know there was a couple of times before my parents came home, they made us go in and get shots for whatever they were exposed to before they let them come home? So yes, I have been inoculated against anthrax, black plague, most airborne biochemical crap, and who knows what else?

But I do have to say that the DOD (Department of Defense) Schools (if you ever have children) are the way to go for education. The teachers actually want to be there, they are better funded, and you bet your *kitten* they don't put up with ANYTHING as the public schools do now. An MP/SP in the halls is a great deterrent for any gang, drugs, etc. activity. It does still happen, but not like in larger public schools.

You are young, the military OWNS you, your husband (if you don't have one already), your children, everything. You do what they want and when they want. If your husband or kid screws up, bet your CO knows before you do and it is your *kitten* standing in front of that desk in a cold sweat in the morning. And I have seen 15+ veterans get shipped back state side because of something their spouse or kids did (and they lost rank) and pretty much permanently black balled from promotions.

If your credit score sucks, if you are late on your bills, it affects your security rating (which you NEED) to advance. If you get married and have base housing if your grass is too long, it affects your job, if your yard is unkept, if you have parties all the time, if you get drunk and sleep around, it affects your job and promotions. They OWN you...lock, stock, and barrel.

If you can accept that, and will probably see some sort of combat given the worlds arena politically, and if you want to join because you want to be part of a team and retire in 20 years with a decent pension (unless congress screws that up too) then I say go for it.

If you just want to go in for a couple of years to get some school loans paid down, then I wouldn't do it since you will probably hate it, which will show, and that affects promotions and the like. Just my opinion as a military brat.

If you really want to serve your country and attempt to make a difference in the worlds arena and are looking at a 20+ year career (and as a grad student you already show perseverance) then get into shape (because they will eat you alive) research your branch of military and make a conscious decision. It will affect everything in your life from the day you first step on a base forever more.

It is a profound personal decision, and don't listen to the damn recruiter, because they are salesmen. Listen to your heart and soul, because this is a decision that will change you forever. And it can be the most rewarding camaraderie military family that never ends.

I do hoped this help, sorry if a bit rambling