what to do when you have a sweet tooth :-/

Options

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds vanilla cone = 150 calories, you can usually fit thst in.

No. The menu says 150 cals, yes, but have you seen the serving size advertised, which is 150 cals, compared to what a typical McDonald's doles out for one serving?

I'm a big fan of the chocolate dipped cone, but it's not as low cal as the menu says.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Snickers ice cream bars are my current thing.

...I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind for a response though.
  • ambernicoleperez
    ambernicoleperez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to things when I'm craving something sweet are the Dole Banana Dippers.. you get 4 in a pack and they are dark chocolate covered frozen banana pieces for 100 calories. Soo yummy! I also always have a box of the chocolate caramel pretzel fiber one bars on hand. (90 calories) There is a frozen yogurt place down the street from me (and popping up everywhere now) and if you watch your serving size you can have a treat for 100 calories or so that tastes JUST like ice cream. The skinny cow ice creams are great and there are some "real fruit" popsicles that are pretty low cal too. I have some in my freezer right now that are only 60 calories a pop. (havent tried them yet though!) Hope these help.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have good quality dark chocolate on hand most of the time. A square or two of that sets me right.

I do this. I buy fancy dark chocolate bars, and I eat one row of squares a night. It's about 80 calories, depending on the brand. I eat them slowly, and savor them. It's easier for me to turn down treats at work, etc., b/c I know I've got my chocolate coming.

Also, dark chocolate is a bit of an acquired taste - stick it out for a while, and your palate will change. Now milk chocolate or gooey cakes taste like... Too much. Fine as a very rare event, but not what I want on a regular occasion.
    ^ this
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    hey everyone.

i am eating really healthily of recent, my only downfall is sweet things. i love candy, chocolate, cakes, all of that. has anyone got tips on how they beat their cravings/ habit?

I read in a book today people who are trying to control a sweet tooth should brush their teeth when an inconvenient craving hits. The toothpaste makes sugary foods taste bitter. (Imagine drinking orange juice right after brushing your teeth.)
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Ihave the same issue, so I got my partner to help me. Everytime we buy chocolate or anything else 'bad' he hides it in the spare room somewhere so it is out of sight and I basicly forget about it, then when we feel like eating it he will hand me what I am allowed to have (I tel him how many calories I got left for the day andhe gives me the amount of chocolate that fits that) So that would be my tip, if you can let someone else in the house control when and how much you get.

Though I must admit I do sometimes go mental at him if he doesnt give enough and I become a b**** until he gives me more. So the next day he forces me onto the crosstrainer to work it off haha. It works for us, hope you find something that works for you!

You are so very lucky to have someone like that in your life. Cherish and appreciate them to the fullest. What an incredible gift. :)
  • bbunni
    bbunni Posts: 1
    Options
    Pudding and jello take care of my sweet cravings (whether chocolate or fruity) and they're usually under 100 calories. I've heard popsicles are good for that too!
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates, just like candy.
  • trianglesfocus
    trianglesfocus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi trianglesfocu, I have a sweet tooth the size of a refrigerator. Sweets have always been a terrible obstacle for me. The difficulty for me is that I cannot eat "a bite of cake" or a couple of Hershey's Kisses. Once the candy or frosting is in my mouth, I am like an alcoholic. I have no skills to take a few bites and then walk away. When I go to the mall, I am distracted by the smells and sights of all the desserts they offer. When I take that first bite and then the second bite and continue on to my second serving, I feel like I black out. Then the remorse and guilt set in. Because desserts and sweet treats are such a challenge for me, I literally have to refuse them. I have to turn my head when I go to an event that serves sweets. I wish I could give you a magical tip that would help you, however, I have to pretend that the sweets are the enemy and look at them with disdain and contempt. I cannot even put one bite in my mouth.

I can can relate to this totally. Once I have one bite, thats it. I have to have the whole packet or cake. I think that this may be the route for me. thanks everyone.
  • trianglesfocus
    Options
    have it pulled.

lol
  • trianglesfocus
    Options
    I have good quality dark chocolate on hand most of the time. A square or two of that sets me right.

I do this. I buy fancy dark chocolate bars, and I eat one row of squares a night. It's about 80 calories, depending on the brand. I eat them slowly, and savor them. It's easier for me to turn down treats at work, etc., b/c I know I've got my chocolate coming.

Also, dark chocolate is a bit of an acquired taste - stick it out for a while, and your palate will change. Now milk chocolate or gooey cakes taste like... Too much. Fine as a very rare event, but not what I want on a regular occasion.

this sounds great but personally i dont think i would trust myself with the whole bar sitting there!!
  • trianglesfocus
    Options
    make your own home made ice cream using greek yogurt, cocoa powder, and almond milk...srs

this sounds good.....
  • trianglesfocus
    Options
    Whenever I get a sweet tooth, I usually eat some sweet fruit -- pears or mangoes, usually. But if my sweet tooth is particularly bad, I'll try to find a "healthier alternative" frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, etc. Play around, and see what happens!

And there's also, of course, moderation. If you restrict yourself too much, your body will crash; and if you get your hands on sweets, you'll go into overdrive.

thank you for the advice!!! :-)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories to incorporate whatever it is into your caloric intake for the day and enjoy it.....
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    hey everyone.

i am eating really healthily of recent, my only downfall is sweet things. i love candy, chocolate, cakes, all of that. has anyone got tips on how they beat their cravings/ habit?

So did I. Found out my love of the sweet stuff was due to an underlying medical issue. I changed my diet due to that issue to LCHF & was able to find relief. I've heard of others who, having cut their carb intake, also found that sugary cravings decreased or went away completely.

I honestly don't know what would've happened if I didn't medically have to limit sweet things & after 3 months of eating this way, I *do* miss donuts, cake, cookies, brownies etc. however, eating this way I've found it easy to stay away from them.:drinker:
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I like novelty ice creams - I get my ice cream fix in a prepackaged portion, so I don't have to worry about scooping so much out. Right now I have frozen snickers ice cream. One bar is 180 calories of deliciousness.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, although I am specifically training for a competition now which doesn't allow the sweets. Moderation, I do not keep sweets in the house and once I weened myself off them the cravings are not as bad. I have a Chocolate protein powder that I can eat almost like pudding which is helpful Beverly International UMP. Making things th ehelp beat cravings, mix natural peanut butter with my oatmeal, the peanut butter with the oats and chocolate protein powder is like a no bake cookie. I also use coffee or sugar free gum
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi trianglesfocu, I have a sweet tooth the size of a refrigerator. Sweets have always been a terrible obstacle for me. The difficulty for me is that I cannot eat "a bite of cake" or a couple of Hershey's Kisses. Once the candy or frosting is in my mouth, I am like an alcoholic. I have no skills to take a few bites and then walk away. When I go to the mall, I am distracted by the smells and sights of all the desserts they offer. When I take that first bite and then the second bite and continue on to my second serving, I feel like I black out. Then the remorse and guilt set in. Because desserts and sweet treats are such a challenge for me, I literally have to refuse them. I have to turn my head when I go to an event that serves sweets. I wish I could give you a magical tip that would help you, however, I have to pretend that the sweets are the enemy and look at them with disdain and contempt. I cannot even put one bite in my mouth.

I'm EXACTLY the same way. Yes, it must be like being an alcoholic. My biggest problem is the sweets and junk food in my workplace. Years ago, I quit smoking, and went through the same tortured cravings for the first few weeks.

I have fruit, usually an apple, that satisfies my need for something sweet.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet most days, usually an iced cappuccino or some other sweet coffee drink. About once a week, I have something more decadent, and occasionally, I go all out and really indulge. It's good for my sanity.