Machines and calories

Options
I know this has been asked...but i was curious because I had the option of posting this on the elliptical today at the gym. I entered 116 lbs/26 yrs age for the ellipitical/stride machine and it said I did 300 calories/30 minutes. Does this seem outrageous or slightly accurate. I have no HRM. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The general opinion is that the figure is overestimated. I have the treadmill on a 6.0 incline at 5kph and after an hour it says I burn 625. If I was entering it on MFP, personally, I'd enter 425 (I deduct around 200) and then eat back half of them just to ensure I wasn't over eating.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    100cals every 10mins is a reasonable number. Just be consistent and don't worry to much on how accurate they are
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I prefer to trust the numbers on MFP to a machine at the gym. Your burn is also determined on height and gender, which the machines never ask for.

That being said, I feel that MFP over estimates my burn on the elliptical by 20%, so I only log 80% of my workout if I use the elliptical.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone thank you for the answer! It helps alot :)