Pilates v. yoga

Options
I have a cranky lower back that, though fine now, I am interested in strenthening. Has anyone had succes with either Pilates or yoga in doing this?

Thanks!

Replies

• hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for your back. Especially if you can get into a reformer class. There are a lot of spine exercises, and back work exercises that we do in reformer, which seem to really help with injury. My instructor always says a flexible spine is a young spine! I have had nothing but great experiences with Pilates.

Yoga is great as well, and there are many different kinds. That would probably help too, especially with stretching and flexibility.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both (I log them all as yoga since the burn is about the same for me) and think they are equally important for back strength.

Pilates helps with the core more, (at least the stuff I do) which in turn helps support and strengthen the back.

I also do Hatha Yoga (more of a stress relief stretching yoga than a pretzel lifting a mac truck) and it has improved the flexibility in my back greatly, but that being said, I have a hard time with sun salutations due to the transition from downward dog to cobra in one fluid movement...and I can do them individually, but just not after each other, if that makes sense? Too much for my lower back and causes me twinges, so I found a different morning greeting routine that works for me..