Help! Vegetarian who cannot meet her protein goal

Options
I do not eat meat, but I do eat eggs. We have a small backyard flock so usually have a surplus of healthy eggs. I eat almonds, greek yogurt and cheese sticks but I'm always WAY under my protein goal. Any ideas for me to boost that up?

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a great vegetarian source of protein. If you're considerably under on your protein grams on a regular basis, it might not be a bad idea to try a protein powder. A scoop of whey protein powder shaken up with some milk or water is quick and easy but also tastes pretty good.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I mix my nonfat greek yogurt with cottage cheese.

Soy milk
    Beans
    Natural (no sugar added) peanut butter
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a protein shake. I just started using Vega and really like it.
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been a little wary about protein shakes. I don't know much about them but I'm concerned about all the ingredients I see in some of them. Any good vegan protein powder/shake suggestions?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and I struggle too! So I'm interested in any suggestions.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Just a quick whey protein drink. You can go fancy or simple. I just get Designer whey, not too expensive, a great boost and tastes great, I simply whisk it up in water in my glass, adding a touch of stevia, for additional sweetness. It really helps me meet my protein goals!
  • thinbitch63
    thinbitch63 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can mix non fat pwdered milk in anything and boost your boost your protein, it works really well in yougurt,smoothies and protein shakes!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you think you need?
    Why?
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, Egg whites, mushrooms, milk .... all are great sources of protein. Also Beans (As in chickpeas, red/kidney etc) are great to add into salads for additional protein.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    just get one of the available flavors of Gold Standard Whey from Optimum Nutrition. you can buy smaller sizes to make sure you like the flavor before committing to a larger purchase.

ON is one of the most respected brands and a single scoop will add 24g of protein to your intake. if you mix it with a cup of milk (if you allow yourself that), that'll contribute another 8g (typically).
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes...I use Muscletech Whey Isolate....it has 30 grams of protein and 9 carbs and it tastes great. I like to put it in my blender with ice and make a chocolate shake :)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Quorn products
    Nuts

I don't eat much meat anymore, as my girl is vegetarian, and she cooks really nice veggie food, so I seek protein from the foods mentioned above.

I do eat fish though, lots of fish.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I've been a little wary about protein shakes. I don't know much about them but I'm concerned about all the ingredients I see in some of them. Any good vegan protein powder/shake suggestions?

You can get soy protein isolate (bob's red mill) and add it to things you make like smoothies or pancakes. By itself in water its hard to take.

more eggs
    Beans, beans, beans
    lentils
    Quinoa
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

1 cup Fage Greek 2% yogurt
    1 cup 2% Horizon organic milk
    2 tbs almond butter

black lentils - 9 grams protein - sauteed with onions, peppers, tomatoes and finish off with 1/2 cup cheese..
    chickpeas
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Top Non-Animal Protein Sources :

Tempeh : 1 cup = 41g
    Seitan : 3 oz = 31g
    Soybeans : 1 cup = 21g
    Lentils : 1 cup = 18g
    Black beans : 1 cup = 15g
    Kidney beans : 1 cup = 13g
    Veggie Burger : 1 patty = 13g
    Chickpeas : 1 cup = 12g
    Baked beans : 1 cup = 12g
    Firm tofu : 4 oz = 11g
    Quinoa : 1 cup = 9g
    Peanut butter : 2 tbsp = 8g
  • nattyblu
    Options
    Hmm, It seems like you do eat a lot of protein! Greek yogurt is loaded with protein..just one cup has about 20 grams of protein in it. Also you are smart...eggs have very high protein. In addition to what you are eating you could try adding in some Soy milk. My boyfriend and I are vegetarian and we struggle too to get enough protein. You should also eat tofu...good source of protein! If you will eat fish, that is very good for you! I am vegetarian with the exception of eating fish and eggs. Hope this helps.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    I here you. I'm a vegetarian too and struggled with getting protein when I first cut out meat. I do Whey protein in shakes to get the extra protein, Quinoa salads or dishes, I try for a bean salad at least 2-3 times a week to make sure the requirement is met. Umm lets see, sometimes I do tofu if I'm in the mood. Oh yea and love egg white dishes, like sandwiches, salads, or omelets.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi-vegetarian (I occasionally eat seafood) and I'm usually over my protein goal.

I eat:
    tempeh
    Calnaturale Svelte shakes (they're all natural and sweetened with Stevia -- I don't do artificial sweeteners)
    no-salt added cottage cheese (Friendship brand)
    full fat plain Greek yogurt (it's way more filling than non-fat and worth the extra calories)
    nutritional yeast flakes (also very high in vitamin B12)
    protein shakes/smoothies made with Designer Whey protein powder
    black bean soup
    hummus
    eggs
    low sugar, naturally sweetened protein bars
    Kashi Go Lean Original cereal for breakfast (high protein, low sugar)
    eggs
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    You can get soy protein isolate (bob's red mill) and add it to things you make like smoothies or pancakes. By itself in water its hard to take.

Be careful of soy protein isolate, it's been linked to breast cancer -- not *all* soy, mind you, but specifically soy protein isolate.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I really like Vega supplements protein powders