Shake Diet, Yes or No?

Options
I was just wondering other people's opinions/advice and or experience on this. Our room mate right now did a shake diet (1 meal 2 shakes with healthy snacks in between) for about a month on an off and worked out daily for at least one hour with a combination of cardio and strength training and he has been doing this for almost 9 months now and has lost about 80lbs. I've been doing water fasting and was wondering if this were a good way to go about giving my body extra nutrients, as I do take daily vitamins to help my body get what it needs while I am water fasting. Since doing this I have lost 20 lbs and the weight has been staying off. Was just wondering if this has helped any body out fairly well or does it just work for some body types and not for everyone type of deal. Thank you :)

Replies

• Rizjis
    Rizjis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No. there's no satiety to shake diets. Just eat filling low calorie foods like fruits and veggies to add bulk and keep calories low. Ive tried a couple different shake diets, and they last .... 4 days at most before I go nuts not eating food!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No. It is just a way of calorie restriction.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    As a reformed dieter of all sorts...I say no!! You will lose weight while on them, but then re gain the weight when your body is finally fed real nutrients and calories.
    I've dieted for over 20 years now, and have come to the conclusion that doing it the right way (balanced diet with exercise) wins out everytime.
    I recommend for you to do more research, become informed and I wish you a healthy weight loss.
    xo
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Shake diets don't teach you how to properly portion your meals, so when you do lose weight having the shakes and go back to eating real food again, you will most likely gain the weight back since you didn't go through the learning process of counting calories, determining how many calories your body needs, etc.

Shake diets are quick fixes that tend to not end well at all.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'd ask what a 'water fast' is, but I don't think I want to know...
  • lamimi1605
    Options
    Hello I'm currently using the shake diet and I love it I have loss a total of 27lbs. I wish I would have know about myfitnesspal when I started my journey about 3 months ago So it worked for me I say try it and see what results you get. Oh and I did Zumba 3 times a week.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering other people's opinions/advice and or experience on this. Our room mate right now did a shake diet (1 meal 2 shakes with healthy snacks in between) for about a month on an off and worked out daily for at least one hour with a combination of cardio and strength training and he has been doing this for almost 9 months now and has lost about 80lbs. I've been doing water fasting and was wondering if this were a good way to go about giving my body extra nutrients, as I do take daily vitamins to help my body get what it needs while I am water fasting. Since doing this I have lost 20 lbs and the weight has been staying off. Was just wondering if this has helped any body out fairly well or does it just work for some body types and not for everyone type of deal. Thank you :)

You've been living off of water and a daily vitamin? If so, sure, start adding shakes. It's food at least.
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd say no, if you're in any way interested in actually improving your health over just being slim and malnourished.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much decided that if it says "diet", I say "don't do it!". :tongue:

Most "diets", whether its a shake or whatever, are just temporary things, possibly a way to drop some pounds on the scale, but not sustainable, usually not cheap, and people who do lose end up burning out and gaining the weight back.

Better off using the free tools right here at MFP - enter your info correctly, eat your calories (goal means GOAL! :wink: ), exercise, drink water, get good rest. Be honest and accurate with your diary - it's a wonderful tool and a great way to see where you can make improvements and better choices while meeting your calorie goals, as well as getting good protein, carbs and fat - good nutrition!

Make the life changes that last, changes that you can stick with for life, and no have to worry about "falling off the wagon" or falling into the dreaded yo-yo dieting, putting your body through quick losses only to gain the weight back - frustrating and discouraging!

Looking at your diary for the past few days, you definitely need to eat more - a lot more. You're not doing yourself any favors eating so little.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You are starving yourself. You can't live off of 400-800 calories a day. You need to get help, professional help. You need to read up on proper nutrition. It's not worth it. It's not worth what will happen to you in the long run.
  • laurentourette94
    Options
    it is a good way to loose weight...but it is starvation...i did the sci mx diet for 2 month's and lost 3 stone with 2 shakes and a meal and was taking about 700 cals in,and taking with the sci mx fat burners which made me feel like total crap..coz i couldnt sleep and was very active but very weak...eventually i got bored..but it does work..only problem then is keeping it off wich is very difficult as it comes back on very quick x
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Both the shake diet, and your water diet are bad and nutrient deficient.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    NONONONONONNOOOOOOOO!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Both the shake diet, and your water diet are bad and nutrient deficient.
    This. Both terrible ideas that teach nothing and will end with gaining all the weight back (usually plus more) once normal eating resumes. Unhealthy, metabolic damage, muscle loss, heart damage, it's really an endless list as to why they're bad ideas.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Naaaah doesn't work for me. I would have the shake and half hour later a meal...= double trouble!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As a reformed dieter of all sorts...I say no!! You will lose weight while on them, but then re gain the weight when your body is finally fed real nutrients and calories.
    I've dieted for over 20 years now, and have come to the conclusion that doing it the right way (balanced diet with exercise) wins out everytime.
    I recommend for you to do more research, become informed and I wish you a healthy weight loss.
    xo

^^^^THIS
  • Poods71
    Options
    Shake diets don't teach you how to properly portion your meals, so when you do lose weight having the shakes and go back to eating real food again, you will most likely gain the weight back since you didn't go through the learning process of counting calories, determining how many calories your body needs, etc.

Shake diets are quick fixes that tend to not end well at all.

^^^^ AND THIS
  • Poods71
    Options
    NONONONONONNOOOOOOOO!

^^^ AND DEFINITELY THIS :)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    nononononononono

ETA: oops. didn't see someone else already do that.
    That's how you know it's bad.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    nononononononono

ETA: oops. didn't see someone else already do that.
    That's how you know it's bad.

I'm glad people feel as strongly as I do! You are setting yourself up for failure immediately! DON'T DO IT!

P.S. Diets don't work, change the way you eat permanently and for the better and exercise. It is that simple! Find some sports you enjoy doing and DO THEM LOADS! Or join a gym which is how I lost a large bulk of my weight!