Bathing suits

Options
2»

Replies

• polarfuchs
    Options
    I have a tankini that covers up my belly and helps me feel more confident. And usually I forget about my body after half an hour because everyone has issues at the beach and I´m too busy having fun :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Wear one with a sexy back!

7241981204_9ed4c1a467_n.jpg
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    From your profile you are around 144lbs...so you are not looking to bad in the height to weight ratio?

IMHO there will be lots of other people that are larger/taller/smaller/thinner/fatter than you.

Just wear a bathing suit/shorts n T/tankini....just go and enjoy...it is going to be a day out of your life that you can never replace x
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I liked to wear swim dresses. I think some of them are really cute. Even now, I'm happy with my bod and wear 2 pieces, I sometimes throw on one. I just think they can be pretty. For perspective: I live at the ocean in the summer.

Some can be frumpy, but some are really cute:

7231000spe?$thumbnail-182x214$

R20047-664.jpg

0528_84487_mm.jpg?wid=179&qlt=90&op_sharpen=1

swim-dress-z312.jpg

With these, you don't even need a cover up if you want to take a walk on the beach. Get thee a floppy hat, and you're gorgeous.

Agree! I have a M Khor swim dress in size 4, that is and fits great. I need to get me more of those.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the swimdress posts above. There are some really cute ones! I got mine from Amazon for a great price.
    Maybe try on a few cover-up-type things at stores, too. Sounds like a fun trip ahead of you - find something you'll be comfortable playing in.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If your swimsuits are giving you "side boob", that's a clear indication that it's the wrong size. Get a professional fitting (Victoria's Secret does good fittings) and choose a good flattering cut. You'll be amazed at what a difference it can make.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say to find a suit that fits you and flatters your figure and forget the rest. You might be surprised to find that a well-fitting suit will make you look and FEEL better.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have always been terrified of the beach for the same reasons as you - and being rather busty I have the added difficulty of finding a swimsuit that fits, is supportive, and doesn't cost a year's salary!

However, this summer on holiday in Venice, we went to the Lido one day. I wore my ill fitting slazenger cozzie that is okay for doing lengths in the pool. I did feel a lot better having lost 2 stone! But it's not very flattering, this cozzie. Pigeon breasted isn't in it!

As I lay there, I looked around. Yes, there were the skinny girlies, firm flesh, and skimpy bikinis, looking fantastic. But then I'm not 18 anymore. So it's futile to compare myself to them.

But also, I looked around, and there was a woman with a belly that was bigger, wobblier, more stretch marked and hanging over further than mine, in a bikini, relaxing and enjoying herself. There was another woman who must have been in her 80s, all her flesh loose and wrinkled, wearing a neon yellow swimsuit with a slash down the middle all the way to her pelvic bone. She was relaxed and enjoying herself. There were hundreds of women much bigger than me wearing swimsuits, bikinis, tankinis, some were tanned and brown, some were shiny white. But they ALL looked relaxed and happy, enjoying the sun.

And I thought - I'm no different to any of these women. I have the same right to relax and enjoy the sun. They look fantastic because they're relaxed and happy, not because they're skinny (they're not) or because they have firm gravity defying bodies (they didn't). They are comfortable and happy and enjoying their day on the beach. So in future, that's what I'll be doing too.

So like everyone says, treat yourself to a cozzie that really fits, and go and be the beach goddess which you surely are! I'm saving up for one for my next holiday and I'm planning to get one that's bright, sexy and skimpy and no use at all for swimming. And a floaty sarong to tie round if I feel the need. :flowerforyou:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Get a new suit that is more flattering... Land's End has tankinis with bra style tops that will give you lift and help you prevent side boob while covering your tummy. They also have several lengths of swim skirts =)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, have a look at Gok Wan's guide to choosing the right cozzie for your body shape http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOMq0TiQfXQ
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you really don't feel comfortable in a swim suit, another option is swim shorts (or board shorts) and a sun protective swim shirt. It's all made for swimming, but it's an actual shirt and shorts. You can wear a bikini top under the swim shirt as a bra. It's not hot because the material gets wet and keeps you cool. It also protects you from sunburns on your shoulders, back and chest. Or you could wear the swim shorts with a tankini top (so it's like a tank top, but for swimming in and has a built in bra for support).

I am comfortable in a bikini, but sometimes when I am with the kids on a school trip, I want to be more covered up, so I wear the swim shorts, with a bikini top and a sun protective swimming shirt. You can order this stuff online or go to a surfing shop.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL for your wonderful comments and suggestions.

An aunt is going to lend me one of her full peice suits that is actually quite cute. So...No more worries!

I will, however, he investing in one of those vintage suits, because they are just precious and I need one.

:]
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Have you seen blogger Gabifrsh in her fatkini? I think she looks beautiful! Most importantly she looks confident.

High waisted suits are only good if you look like Taylor Swift. Wear a well-adjusted string bikini, with some sort of semi-see-through cover up.

Enjoy
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of swim dresses. I have a really cute one that's blue with white polka dots and a little bow in the front. It hides all the rolls and it doesn't look frumpy.