Healthy foods/snack ideas for those with a sweet tooth?

Hi everyone! I'm brand spanking new to MFP, this is my first day. I have a pretty wicked sweet tooth and I'm looking for healthy foods/snacks that may help satisfy my sweet tooth. I am in the process of cutting out as much processed junk as I can so I'm trying to come up with some ideas that are REAL food too. Any ideas, links, recipes, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Replies

• JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Nothing!?
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Weight Watchers Divine Triple Chocolate Bars have saved my diet! I have a MAJOR sweet tooth also!!! They're awesome! I didn't think they'd be THAT good when I bought them... Sometimes I eat 2 a day... lol I'm out right now until I make it 2 the grocery store or I'd look at the box & tell u the exact amount of calories but I think they have around 120 or so... Not bad 4 something so Yummy! ;-)
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    SunMaid dried fruit bits are pretty good. If chocolate is your thing, I love ZonePerfect Chocolate Greek Yogurt protein bars. 190 calories but packed with protein so you feel full when you've eaten one. Just about any kind of in season fruit (pears, peaches, melons, plums, pineapple) all have natural sugars. Pair some fresh fruit with frozen vanilla yogurt instead of ice cream. Make smoothies (lots of recipes online-try pinterest).

I too have a massive sweet tooth, however, I noticed a big change in how much "junk" food I craved about 2 weeks after starting MFP and exercising. I eliminated a lot of unhealthy foods from my diet and quite a bit of carb rich foods. Suddenly, I wasn't craving snacks all the time. Even though I wasn't eating very many calories, I didn't walk around starving all the time. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience to help keep your sweet tooth tamed :o)
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Do a search on Muffin in a Mug or MIM. There are every kind you can imagine. and seriously easy to make.

little peanut butter on apple
    low-glycemic fruit
    yogurt (watch the sugars)
    celery with cream cheese
    small handful of nuts
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Organic apples and carrots. Both of those are full of natural sugar and usually satisfy my sugar craving. Honestly though, at the end of the day if I have done well on calories I have a piece of dark chocolate to reward myself for a job well done. Studies show that small amounts of dark chocolate every day are good for the heart and the brain.
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Thank you everyone for the ideas! I really appreciate it very much :bigsmile:
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    I swear by Fudgecicles and sugar free chocolate pudding cups! I must feed my internal chocolate beast or things get ugly and these are low cal, low/no fat and satisfy me. Find what works best for you and make sure you keep it in the house!
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    My favorite is to dip apple slices in Oikos low fat vanilla greek yogurt. But we also make a homemade trail mix with nuts, raisins, banana chips and a small amount of dark chocolate covered coconut almond bites from Costco to help satisfy my partners sweet tooth.
  • Prunes work really well for me
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    SunMaid dried fruit bits are pretty good. If chocolate is your thing, I love ZonePerfect Chocolate Greek Yogurt protein bars. 190 calories but packed with protein so you feel full when you've eaten one. Just about any kind of in season fruit (pears, peaches, melons, plums, pineapple) all have natural sugars. Pair some fresh fruit with frozen vanilla yogurt instead of ice cream. Make smoothies (lots of recipes online-try pinterest).

I too have a massive sweet tooth, however, I noticed a big change in how much "junk" food I craved about 2 weeks after starting MFP and exercising. I eliminated a lot of unhealthy foods from my diet and quite a bit of carb rich foods. Suddenly, I wasn't craving snacks all the time. Even though I wasn't eating very many calories, I didn't walk around starving all the time. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience to help keep your sweet tooth tamed :o)
    this is so true. and there is the added fact that when you count calories, you want to make sure that your calories count. my go to snack is fresh fruit, whole grain rice cakes with (natural, no added sugar/fat) peanut butter or cheese, apples with peanut butter, sandwhich on whole grain bread etc
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Nonni's biscotti 90 cals
    Carmel corn or apple cinnamon mini rice cakes
    Pumpkin cinnamon tea
    fudgesicle
    kettle corn
    Fiber one bars
    Trader joes pumpkin butter
    Mcdonals ice cream cones 150 cals
    Skinny cow ice cream bars
    Special k crisp bar
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    I've been craving sweets a lot less now that I've cut way back on sugar. I tried to completely eliminate all added sugar for 2 weeks and it's made a huge difference.

One of my favourite sweet snacks (without too much sugar) is a Quaker's Crispy Minis Caramel Chocolate Chip rice cake topped with 1-2 tsp of peanut butter. It's got a little sweetness, a satisfying crunchy texture, plus the delicious creaminess of the peanut butter. Yum!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    I just found a new treat. Merangue cookies. I can eat 13 of them for 120 calories. Has a bit of protein too.

Fudge cicles are great

Fresh fruit (in season)

Fruit smoothie

Skinny Cow's Caramel Macchiatto ice cream cup was tasty too!
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    I have a super sweet tooth too. I normally need a chocolate around 4.30pm on a working day. My personal trainer suggested having yogurt that has no artificial sugar (so onken or Tesco full fat greek yogurt) to take the craving away and it seems to work for me!! I was suprised!!
  • jobieandrews
    jobieandrews Posts: 1 Member
    Skinny Topcorn is great - comes in loads of flavours. can buy on Amazon by the 12 pack box!
  • suzmedder
    suzmedder Posts: 49 Member
    Hiya, fellow sweet tooth here, if you are in the UK try www.graze.com, not sure if they deliver outside of the Uk too, low calories snacks both sweet and savoury to suit your wants and needs.

I get one a week and keep them in my draw at work......for a free box type in code G51MDRJ - anyone else reading this feel free to use that code too!!

Happy Snacking :)

Suz
  • lottieo
    lottieo Posts: 2 Member
    Aero Mousse - 94 - 98 calories each !!!!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Mashed banana on some rye bread toast sprinkle some cinnamon = banana bread fix
    Peel, core apples, stew in sprite zero, add some sweetener of your choice, sprinkle some cinnamon (and maybe some nutmeg) on it and eat it with toast = apple pie-ish
    Lowfat/fatfree yogurt, sweetener (or sugar), unsweetened cocoa powder = chocolate pudding!
    unsweetend cocoa powder + sugar + bit of water (bring to a boil) = chocolate sauce (drizzle on some bananas with lowfat plain yogurt) YUUUUUUUMMMM!!!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    I love skinny topcorn, especially the Salt and Sweet flavour. It's really filling and only 115 cals a bag.

Single finger twirls are a lifesaver for me, as are 2 finger kit kats.

Oh, and Ben and Jerry's chocolate brownie frozen yoghurt....very nice indeed!!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    I just found a new treat. Merangue cookies. I can eat 13 of them for 120 calories. Has a bit of protein too.

Fudge cicles are great

Fresh fruit (in season)

Fruit smoothie

Skinny Cow's Caramel Macchiatto ice cream cup was tasty too!

Merangue is very very sweet and not too bad in calories compared to some thing. I like a merangue nest, spoon in some vanilla yoghurt then spoon some mixed fruit on the top. I've also been known to put a drizzle of melted dark chocolate over the top :) Very yummy for a nice dessert.

I have also just fallen in love with Yoo Moo frozen yoghurts.