Sleepy after jogs?

Options
Anyone else?

I do small jogging/walking intervals for a mile's distance, as I'm a beginner still. :) Slow but sure progress. Instead of doing C25K, what I'm doing is walking for a warm up while doing some dynamic stretches, jogging at the same starting point every day, and continuing to jog until I start mouth breathing. (Y'know, that point where you feel like you just can't do it?) I push slightly past the mouth-breathing point, just slightly, then go back to walking. It's really been working, as my distance I can jog has had some increases over the past month for sure.

I just don't know why I'm so sleepy after jogging. I make sure I've eaten a couple hours before any workout-- carbs and protein included. I make sure I'm hydrated. I try very hard to listen to my body and push it-- but not to a crazy point.

So, is the sleepiness normal for some people? Is it because I'm still relatively new to cardio?

I do know that my heart rate during the short jogs jumps up to the 150-170's, then lowers slowly as I walk, down to 113-130 for the rest of my exercise. This is probably one of those questions to bring up to le doc.

Replies

• JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What time of day are you jogging? Any chance that you're just tired anyway?

That said, I've been fighting off some AWFUL yawning fits during my stronglifts sessions.

Sometimes you're just tired. It happens.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have been running for about five years now and I have only ran for eight months of the year each year.
    I am very tired on the days I run. I nap for hours after a long weekend run. When I get to seven to ten km, I am extremely sleepy:)
    I have just decided that it is normal for me. On days when I run before I work, I am just aware of why I'm sleepy and don't worry about it:). It is kind of weird isn't it?

For the four months I don't run, I don't feel sleepy to that degree.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Also, when I run I don't push myself much at all. My 5 km time is the same today as it was five years ago:)
  • catbubbles
    Options
    If I do not get enough sleep, or if I am not eating enough healthy foods, YES I get very tired running. However, if I am eating enough, getting enough healthy foods in, and sleeping right I am fine. If I know I am going to be pushing myself further than usual, I eat a little something extra to help me push through. I also do not run if I haven't had a good nights sleep.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get sleepy after longer runs, too. I ran my first 8k race yesterday, and came home and took a long nap! I was pretty tired before I ran, though, because I was nervous and didn't sleep well the night before. I think it will get better as your body gets used to running regularly.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I did in the beginning, and I was pretty fit when I started. The same thing happened to me a few years back when I first started working out with pilates. I would conk out later. The sleepy thing with running passed fortunately. But truthfully, it was such a satisfying feeling.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not sleep right after I run, but the days I do run, I cannot stay up past my bedtime most of the time - we're talking, eyes closing of their own free will at 10:30PM - and need to sleep the full 8 hours or more that night or I'm a mess the next day. It's been like that for months and I don't often get the sleep I should, so I just take it as my body wanting to recover from a workout :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's largely a matter of adapting to the exercise.

I used to feel tired after a 5km run, now a 10km is an average mid-week run and I don't feel fatigued afterward. I must confess that I had a nap yesterday after a 75km (3hr) group bike ride...).
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I get tired after my workouts until I get something to eat, then I'm fine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I get sleepy from runs, but not tired.

If I were to lay down I'd fall asleep, but if I went to go say... dig some post holes, or shower up and lift, I'd be just fine.
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think that is totally normal as you get use to running. I just finished the 6th week of couch to 5k and there have been plenty of times where I could just crash right afterwards. I noticed a pattern though, the more I pushed myself or the longer I would run, the more tired I got. I have noticed that it gets easier, which is saying a lot for me as I'm still 60lbs. over weight. Yesterday we ran for 22 minutes straight and I actually felt energized by it, so I think it will ebb and flow for you while you are building up your endurance. Best of luck to you and maybe try drinking some fresh juice or green tea after your runs to give you a little boost :smile: