Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cut

Options

Replies

• walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm very grateful for this post.

What I'm not clear on is why stepping up slowly to maintenance after reaching your goal avoids this pitfall. Won't you gain the weight back when your glycogen stores get back to normal, regardless of how slowly that happens?

It's great to know ahead of time to expect about a 5 lb weight gain upon starting maintenance.

Also great to have an explanation of why I lost so much that first week. Also why I gained so fast after a couple of high calorie days.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I get to maintenance
  • SG_Diary
    SG_Diary Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great post x
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining this so well, will direct everyone freaking out about sudden weight gain to this thread!
  • cmmanning33
    cmmanning33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!

I always used a 5 pound range for weight for this very reason. My range is 130 - 135, as long as I stay somewhere in there all of my clothes fit well and I think I look good :)

And if you can keep it in this range (and adjust when necessary if you are trending upwards) it makes maintenance a whole lot easier.

Of course i didn't follow this rule when I broke my ankle and started eating like an idiot...hence why I'm NOT in maintenance right now LOL.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What a great post!

I wish everyone would read this and know that water weight is the king of the scale and water weight does not matter!

I can gain 8lbs in a day if I eat enough but that doesn't mean I ate 30,000+ calories, just that my body has stored lots of glycogen which is good and water with it.

On the flip-side I can lose 8lbs over two days too!!!
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Tagged for future re-read and bump!
  • wcg6084
    wcg6084 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great info! Thanks for sharing!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ok it makes sense! Very helpful! My issue is that since I started eating healthy and tracking calories, I haven't lost anything and have actually gained! I have no idea what is going on with body! I do workout. I get into circuit training a couple months ago and I love it! But again no weight loss. My TDEE is 1886 and I have my activity set at lightly active. I am 5'11, 166lbs, but this week that went to 168!
    [/quote]

I had a problem losing weight when I did circuit training also! Not sure why, it was great exercie!
  • rosemary98
    rosemary98 Posts: 632
    Options
    Great thread. a friend pointed it out to me. any idea how much you need to cut back your goal weight based on height and weight to deal with the water weight/glycogen stores?
  • tannas25
    tannas25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm very grateful for this post.

What I'm not clear on is why stepping up slowly to maintenance after reaching your goal avoids this pitfall. Won't you gain the weight back when your glycogen stores get back to normal, regardless of how slowly that happens?

It's great to know ahead of time to expect about a 5 lb weight gain upon starting maintenance.

Also great to have an explanation of why I lost so much that first week. Also why I gained so fast after a couple of high calorie days.

It's not always 5 lbs - it could be maybe 3-8 or so from everything I've read (the higher number being probably for men who have a much higher LBM than, say, a small woman). But I don't think stepping up slowly changes anything except for the way you perceive it.

If you step up slowly from a cut, you're still cutting until the point where your caloric intake actually reaches your maintenance level, so basically you're still probably burning more fat than you're storing while you're increasing calories. If you move from, say, a 500 calorie (daily) cut to maintenance over 1 or two weeks i.e. 1500 calories/day to cut then you get to the weight you like and add 250/day for a week and then add another 250/day for another week, you'll probably see that gain since glycogen could be, say 4 lbs added over 2 weeks but fat loss continues at 1/2 a pound per week for the first week increasing calories. So after those 2 weeks you've got a net gain of 3.5 lbs. If you step up even slower - at say 100 calories/day per week, the first week you'd have a 400 calorie/day deficit, the next week 300 calories/day deficit, the next week 200 calories/day deficit, the next week 100 calories/day deficit. By the time you get to your actual maintenance calories, you've created another 7000 calorie deficit over those 5 weeks for another 2 lbs of fat loss. So then maybe you only see a net 2 lb gain. If you add even slower - say 50 calories/day for a week at a time, you extend that deficit over an even longer period of time so in essence you actually ARE cutting to below goal weight before bumping calories up. Same difference as cutting right down to 3-5 lbs below your goal and increasing to maintenance all at once. It's just a mind game.

You have to get to the place where you can accept that the way your body looks and feels at the bottom of a cut is not the same as it will feel while maintaining. Most of us can feel that depleted, dehydrated cut feeling and enjoy it, which is why it's such a mind game when you puff back up with water... but that's the body's natural state. Homeostasis only happens in that state.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Great thread. a friend pointed it out to me. any idea how much you need to cut back your goal weight based on height and weight to deal with the water weight/glycogen stores?

I don't think it has anything to do with height. My uneducated guess is it's directly related to the quantity of muscle tissue and the amount of carbs you normally/naturally take in. If your diet is higher in carbs you will be more likely to retain more water on an ongoing basis than if your diet is lower in carbs.

I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs at about 23% body fat and I can store about 5-6 lbs of water weight. A previous (male) poster just a few up (I think Russell-someone) said he can retain about 8 lbs. But if your weight is down about 130 lbs, you are probably closer to the 3-4 lbs range.

I am absolutely NOT recommending that anyone cut to 5 lbs below their goal - especially those aiming for the bare bones bottom of their healthy weight range or well below. This post really is intended for those with a healthy sense of their goal weight. Someone in another version of this thread accused me of telling anorexic people to cut even lower. That's not my purpose here.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump - to read again
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!!! Glad to see this. I'm one of those people who was lucky to weekly average 1200 calories a day. I was losing slower than I should have been, and after reading threads here decided to up my calories to my bmr and have been having 1500/day for the past few days. This morning the scale was up two pounds.

Thanks to this I'll refrain from freaking out and keep trying the upped calories for the rest of the week before deciding if I need to cut back again.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Bump. SO helpful.
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cheers :smile:
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump