Just ran 15K

Options
Axe34
Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
I started the Couch to 5K program two months ago today. I ran my first 5K last Friday, my first 10K this past Monday and my first 15K today.

I still find it hard to believe. It was just two months ago that running for two minutes straight almost killed me. I've found out once you hit 5K, any longer runs are 10 per cent physical, 90 per cent mental.

I've also been able to run injury-free *knocks on wood*

I attribute that to listening to my body and a quick-step, mid-sole form -- I lift my feet the absolute minimum I need to make a quick stride. Much easier on my knees and back then slamming down on my heels which is how I used to run. No wonder my knees and shins were always messed up.

I've also been really regimented about my pace. I start slow -- around 7:20/km -- and pick it up in the last half -- usually around 5:45. I've run an inverse split in every single run over 1K. I think that will serve me well when I start racing. I've read that most runners have trouble running an inverse split, but I find it very natural. Start slow, build speed and give 'er in the last K.

It was entirely appropriate AWOL's Sail was playing when I hit this section of today's run....that's a 7K stretch with a huge hill waaaaaaaaaay in the background.

"This is how an angel dies/
I blame it on my own sick pride"

Next stop, half marathon!

999186_10153152746905174_867647358_n.jpg

Replies

• Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well done on your 15k.
  • humanismu
    humanismu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing!
  • dzstephy
    dzstephy Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I hope to be like you.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow - that's some amazing progress! Well done!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - I'm glad I've read this, as I've gone from 2km to 7km in less than three weeks and couldn't quite believe it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    BALLIN'!
  • hannahjames295
    hannahjames295 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!! Well done you, and thanks for the inspiration, am starting c25k tomorrow after work
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Thats a huge accomplishment :)
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Well done! :heart: running NSVs!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K program two months ago today. I ran my first 5K last Friday, my first 10K this past Monday and my first 15K today.

I still find it hard to believe. It was just two months ago that running for two minutes straight almost killed me. I've found out once you hit 5K, any longer runs are 10 per cent physical, 90 per cent mental.

I've also been able to run injury-free *knocks on wood*

I attribute that to listening to my body and a quick-step, mid-sole form -- I lift my feet the absolute minimum I need to make a quick stride. Much easier on my knees and back then slamming down on my heels which is how I used to run. No wonder my knees and shins were always messed up.

I've also been really regimented about my pace. I start slow -- around 7:20/km -- and pick it up in the last half -- usually around 5:45. I've run an inverse split in every single run over 1K. I think that will serve me well when I start racing. I've read that most runners have trouble running an inverse split, but I find it very natural. Start slow, build speed and give 'er in the last K.

It was entirely appropriate AWOL's Sail was playing when I hit this section of today's run....that's a 7K stretch with a huge hill waaaaaaaaaay in the background.

"This is how an angel dies/
    I blame it on my own sick pride"

Next stop, half marathon!

999186_10153152746905174_867647358_n.jpg

Congrats! You're doing awesome, keep it up!

I completely agree with your comment about runs longer than 5k are more mental than anything else.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Well, it's official. I've got two months to train for my first race -- Base Borden half marathon on Sun., Oct. 20. Just registered.

As George Costanza would say, "You want to get nuts?!? Alright, let's get nuts!!!"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!