Which yogurt would you chose?

Options
If you have a choice between these two, which would you go for, and why? I have the extra calories to spare and usual high on carbs and low on protein. Second one has slightly more calories and protein, but less sodium and sugar

Option 1: 118 cals, 17 carbs, 4 fat, 5 protein, 50 sodium, 16 sugar
Option 2: 151 cals, 18 carbs, 6 fat, 8 protein, 2 sodium, 12 sugar

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat either of those. Neither are healthy. I'd get plain greek yogurt and add my own fruit. Then I'd have at least 2xs the protein and half the sugar.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There is no option for neither :wink:

At the moment it is one or the other, does it make a difference which one or are they both the same? Humor me, I'm trying to improve my nutrition knowledge and only end up more confused.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Neither. I eat plain greek 2% yogurt. It has the lowest carbs and no additives.
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    I'd do option one!
    Help it helps!
  • gg0502
    gg0502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% non fat Greek Yogurt only 100 calories but 18g of protein and only 7g sugars, I add fresh blueberries. Getting protein this way is helpful to me not great on eating protein daily.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you have a choice between these two, which would you go for, and why? I have the extra calories to spare and usual high on carbs and low on protein. Second one has slightly more calories and protein, but less sodium and sugar

if you need protein then the second, but i would generally agree with 'neither' and go for fat free greek yoghurt - loads of protein, no fat (obviously) and much lower carb
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd go for option 2 - higher fat & protein, lower sugar, if i had to.

but i'm with everyone else - greek yoghurt and add my own fruit :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Probably neither, but because I prefer my yogurts to have at least 12g of protein (I only eat greek yogurt, although I've been lazy lately and getting the flavored kinds).
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    OK, one of these is a plain low fat yogurt with a spoon (15g) of granola. I thought I'd try that since it is supposed to be the healthier option, I know granola does have a lot of carbs and sugar, but don't like the yogurt plain or with fruit, and I'm looking for a realistic snack that I know I WILL eat every day (not force myself and "forget":wink: )

So I was quite shocked to find out that when I checked the labels it turned out pretty much like my usual "unhealthy" one.

I'm very shocked at the 18g of protein mentioned by somebody above, will check all the labels when I get back to the shop next time! Didn't know there is such a massive difference between brands!!:noway:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OK, one of these is a plain low fat yogurt with a spoon (15g) of granola. I thought I'd try that since it is supposed to be the healthier option, I know granola does have a lot of carbs and sugar, but don't like the yogurt plain or with fruit, and I'm looking for a realistic snack that I know I WILL eat every day (not force myself and "forget":wink: )

So I was quite shocked to find out that when I checked the labels it turned out pretty much like my usual "unhealthy" one.

I'm very shocked at the 18g of protein mentioned by somebody above, will check all the labels when I get back to the shop next time! Didn't know there is such a massive difference between brands!!:noway:

Only Greek yogurt has a lot of protein, pretty much. I've found regular yogurt to be a bit of a waste of calories honestly.

Fromage frais / fromage blanc is another great option but can't be found in the US unfortunately!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

why does it have to be a yoghurt?

there are millions of things you can snack on if you're not a yoghurt person - cheese, nuts, carrot & hummus, ham, fruit, boiled eggs, glass of milk, if you're in the uk look at graze boxes...
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    Of course I do snack on other things as well, it's just I was asking specifically about yoghurts.

Did a quick check online in my local supermarket and the "Greek" yoghurt has pretty much the same nutritional info as the one I bought. Apparently they don't sell Sage where I am. Will have to do more research later, than you:smile:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Fage
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    apart from the 'neither' thing

I'd go for the one with the better flavour. why eat something that has less calories but doesn't taste as good when you have the calories to spare for the one you actually want? All depends on what you wanna eat right now...
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Get Greek yogurt. Even if you eat the flavored ones you come out ahead as far as healthier.
  • mandles82
    Options
    Personally I would go for option 2.

Unless number one tastes better :wink:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose between the 2 yogurts you listed, I'd take option 2. I usually just get plain Greek yogurt and add whatever I want to it. Sometimes I make a dip with garlic and lemon juice and eat that with veggies, and sometimes I add baking cocoa, honey, and vanilla for a sweet treat. Fage Total 2% and Stonyfield Farms Greek yogurt would be my two favorite brands.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The second simply because it has more protein and I need all I can get. But if you have the calories for either, pick the one with the flavor you prefer.

As for those saying neither are healthy, BAER.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Get Greek yogurt. Even if you eat the flavored ones you come out ahead as far as healthier.

My Key Lime Oikos Greek Yogurt:

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Explain to me, other than a few more grams of protein, what's better about that than what's listed.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

My Key Lime Oikos Greek Yogurt:

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Explain to me, other than a few more grams of protein, what's better about that than what's listed.

In this case nothing. but Oikos isn't real greek yogurt.. it's processed to be like Greek yogurt.
    Real Greek yogurt has like 3 ingredients.

ETA: Sorry, I mixed up Oikos with a different "greek yogurt" brand. I just looked it up. But once you add all the fruity things to the yogurt it doesn't stay healthy. Plain Greek yogurt + fresh fruit is a better option to keep protein high.