Looking Stylish While in Transition?

Options
Hi. I hope someone, or many of you, out there can lend me insight.

I'm just shy of 200 pounds overweight. I'm in my early 30s and returning to school to finish my undergrad. When I started gaining weight, I started hiding in big shirts and sweatshirts, and jeans. Coupled with being pretty modest and conservative, I haven't developed the confidence yet to wear fabulous blouses or whatever. I also became somewhat socially awkward because I so keenly feel unattractive, especially now that my face is relentlessly broken out and so on.

It's probably going to seem pretty silly for someone my age but -- please would someone teach me about being stylish at this size? Picture examples like those mashups of purse, shirt, pants, blouse, etc are great. I wear glasses and have really long hair, but I'm willing to cut and use contacts if that'll help. Maybe my glasses help hide my face or something, I don't know. Um... I'm an Ann Taylor type, if that helps, but some might say that's too stodgy or something. I don't wear makeup because I don't know how to use it. I bought a ton of Laura Mercier once when I was feeling empowered, but never used it. I've been trying to shop at Avenue but all their stuff is too loud or exposing or something for me.

I guess I just feel lost. Thanks.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say...most men (like me) really like long hair....don't cut it...unless you want to.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    To start,

-Like this on facebook so you would get the stream of their photos and just get your eye trained to look at color combinations and styles, regardless whether you can wear them right now.

https://www.facebook.com/EuropeanFashionstyles?hc_location=stream

-Subscribe to bloomingdales, saks fifth avenue so you will receive their emails, again so you will train your eyes on styles and clothes combinations

-Check for make up application lessons on youtube,
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SignatureSeries/videos

-Buy inexpensive makeup from the drugstore and experiment yourself
    -After you feel comfortable and have a basic understanding of how make up is applied, hire someone from craigslist to teach you how to apply the makeup and what colors would suit you best (get one of those freelancers advertising for wedding makeups); then go to Sephora and make an appointment with an expert-this is a 50 min where they show you colors and brief lesson and offer suggestions and you just have to make a minimum purchase of $50 which can be a gift card, or any products you want.

-You can find great plus size clothes at Macy's, or tjmaxx's, marshall's (different locations have different level of clothing based on neighborhood so you have to visit them all in your city to find which ones they carry your style. )

What's your height? Are you also looking for professional clothes? What's your closest major metropolitan city?
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you should try to use your Laura Mercier makeup. It's an excellent brand and it's sad to see it go to waste. Youtube has all kinds of makeup turtorials for all kinds of concerns, like how to conceal acne, how to emphasize or de emphasize features. But if it's too overwhelming you could start by wearing lip stick and a little mascara. That alone can go a long way, and you don't really need to have makeup skills to do this.

I would also go to a hair salon with friendly stylists. A lot of stylists have good advice, not only on hair, but on beauty too. While they do your hair, a lot of them like to talk and love to give advice on how to look better. My favorite tricks a hair stylist told me was to rinse my hair with seltzer water to get rid of frizz, and also that applying lemon juice helps fade red marks from old or current acne.

There are pleanty of plus size clothes these days at many department stores. Don't spend too much money on clothes because they won't fit as you lose weight. Look for things that are on sale that flatter your body. No matter what it is, it's possible to make anything stylish if it's true to who you are and if it flatters your body. Take advantage of peak times to go shopping where they have good sales, such as the holidays. These comming weeks are also a peak time to go because the fall is comming up and there are so many back to school deals. I've seen lots of deals in the circulars/ads. It's not only kids clothes they have sales on, it's a lot of adult stuff as well, because afterall, they're the ones that takes kids to the mall for back to school.

Acessories can enhance your outfits, and what's great about them is that anyone can pull them off, you don't need to have a particular body type. So, it's wise to invest in them. Since you're an Ann Taylor type, you should buy accessories from there because they have a lot of classic pieces. Only splurge on good quality, classic timeless acessories that you could see yourself wearing forever. Never spend too much money on silly trendy things that are just fads you won't be able to see your self wearing in the future.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In addition to the department stores mentioned above, Talbots has a good plus size store (up to size 24). I'd also check out cjbanks and the outlet stores. Some brands like Jones New York have good plus size sections. I also like the catalog www.simplybe.com which has european style plus size clothes. Even if these brands aren't in your budget, you can try clothes on and get a good sense of whether it is your style or not. Then look for cheaper alternatives in catalogs, online, and in department stores. Also, I've found that preseason sales are best because selection has not been picked over yet. If you shop somewhere more than once, you can also sign up for coupons for additional discounts.

Finally, don't dismiss Avenue completely. You can get good basics in Avenue, Lane Bryant. For example, I get all my black pants I wear to the office from Lane Bryant. But not much else.