Time of Month (Female Concerns) And Cravings

Options
I've had my cycle for three years now. It's changed suddenly since the last cycle in so many ways. For instance, I've never had cravings of any sort up to this cycle and my flow is different, in fact, heavier and lasts longer (SO sorry if TMI). So yeah, now I crave salty/sweet things apparently, so I gave in on the clean eating thing, and ate some Chinese leftovers just now...

I'm still under on my calories today, but man did I consume most of those calories (1715!) That's a lot- I'm pretty sure I never eat that much!!! :embarassed:

Does this happen to other women? Is it something to be concerned about? Is this just part of the process of your cycle settling? I will go to an OB soon (got the first available but it's in mid-October) but just wondering. Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It comes with the territory.

All of my gal friends and myself included, as teens didn't care about certain foods. We just felt like crap and wanted to get home from school as soon as possible. Now that we're older (ranging 22-29) we all crave foods like salty chips, dark chocolate and various other forms of crap during our "monthly sabbatical"

If you're seriously concerned i would see your doctor but as far as cravings go, it's standard. My fiance even hides dark chocolate in the house so when I'm crabby he disappears and comes back with chocolate to appease me (as though I would otherwise use my wonder woman powers to sacrifice him and chuck his body into a volcano)

Also changes in flow have been common for all of us- some getting shorter but more heavy/intense flows, to some evening out so that it's the same almost the whole time.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I noticed during my cycle I gain a few lbs... I don't really crave any type of food that I've noticed... Guess some of us just gain during our cycle...
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can royally mess things up, hormone wise.
    I think it has something to do with your body not quickly reducing the amount of estrogen it produces.
    I've had killer acne and a late period with evil cramps.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i actually allow myself a few hundred extra calories a day for the worst 2-3 days of my cycle. I acknowledge that I will have more cravings, and instead of trying to fight and ending up unhappy that I "failed" I build it into the system. 600-900 or so calories extra per month isn't going to effect the rate of my weight loss (it doesn't even put me over maintenance on those days most times), but the extra food i allow myself on those days makes it easier to stick to the plan. especially if some of those extra calories come from chocolate :laugh:
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hm I guess I can only expect these symptoms then. Thank you all for contributing to this post!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've had my cycle for three years now. It's changed suddenly since the last cycle in so many ways. For instance, I've never had cravings of any sort up to this cycle and my flow is different, in fact, heavier and lasts longer (SO sorry if TMI). So yeah, now I crave salty/sweet things apparently, so I gave in on the clean eating thing, and ate some Chinese leftovers just now...

I'm still under on my calories today, but man did I consume most of those calories (1715!) That's a lot- I'm pretty sure I never eat that much!!! :embarassed:

Does this happen to other women? Is it something to be concerned about? Is this just part of the process of your cycle settling? I will go to an OB soon (got the first available but it's in mid-October) but just wondering. Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou:

You're under your calories so I don't see the issue? And 1715 isn't actually a 'lot'.
  • TheColorClear
    Options
    I'm still a teenager right now, so maybe I haven't reached the craving stage yet. I've heard that's pretty normal though. Personally, I feel so awful at that time of the month that I don't want to do anything but lay and bed and sleep :/
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    the week before I'm due I get unreal sugar cravings, I found out I'm pre menopausal and my time of the months are very heavy and not regular at all
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Okay! Sugar and salt cravings, and cramps. I've been feeling a tightness in my upper abdomen (near my ribcage)- and maybe just maybe I'm feeling it because I lost inches there?! xD

Just kidding, not a good thing that it hurts, but I think my earlier area of pain (lower back) is being replaced by the upper abdomen (which doesn't even hurt that bad!) so I'm lucky for that. As for cravings, I was hungry two days ago, not really hungry yesterday and today, but we'll see how it all goes. Thanks everyone!