Post your favorite 'healthy' meal

Options
Share your favorite healthy meal here!!

Replies

• daisygeep
    Options
    I like to make Asian lettuce wraps. I brown a small pkg of ground chicken or turkey with a can of water chestnuts I have drained and chopped up and some onion. Then I add some teriyaki sauce and lots of fresh grated ginger and garlic.

I use romaine leaves cause that is what I usually have on hand. I set out lots of fresh chopped/shredded veggies like carrots, radish, green onion. I also put out all the Asian condiments - peanut sauce, soy, siracha, duck sauce, etc. And lots of chopped fresh mint, basil, and cilantro. If you have little jars of Asian pickled veggies like ginger, hot peppers, daikon, etc. that is yummy to add too.

We get to build our own lettuce wraps with all of these things according to our taste and mix up your own dipping or drizzling sauce as spicy or mild as you want it.

I love this because I get mine spicy, the kids get theirs mild, and my hubs actually eats veggies!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like vegetable spaghetti. Chop various veggies such as green pepper, onions, jalepeno and kale and sautee in water. I like it with whole wheat pasta and some good spaghetti sauce.
  • leahbauer
    Options
    My favorite so far is 3 oz. grilled chicken breast and 1 cup melon over 3 cups of raw spinach with 2 tsp. olive oil and a tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of "favorites".

One of mine recently is a wrap made with a large tortilla spread with hummus. Add matchstick carrots, edamame, black beans (optional), and avocado (splashed with lemon juice). Then fill it up with baby spinach, wrap & eat. Good and surprisingly filling, but perfect for summer lunches or quick dinners.

I love making grilled cheese (no butter, just a quick spray of canola in the pan) sandwiches with some combination of the following - mushrooms, spinach, artichokes, onion, avocado (usually 2 of these ingredients) - and just a small amount of cheese, like 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or Swiss. I use homemade bread or the "good" 100% wheat bread for this and it makes a pretty hearty dinner.

A go-to for my fiance and I are the wild caught salmon fillets from Aldi, baked with a bit of sesame oil and pepper...we usually serve with couscous, broccoli, and fruit.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Current favorites-

serving of brown rice. While cooking I water 'sautee' mushrooms, diced onion, diced bell pepper and sliced carrots with spices. Mix in with rice along with a serving of peas (nuke these in the microwave).

half of a whole grain pita, stuffed with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sliced onion, sliced bell pepper, yellow pepper rings, sliced black olives, spinach and dressing of choice

Serving of old fashioned oats, made with water. Mix together with cinnamon, raisins, ground flax seed and either walnuts or almonds.

Whole wheat tortilla shell, with refried black beans, diced tomato, diced onion, sliced black olives and a splash of hot sauce

make a dip with refried black beans, diced tomato, diced onion, sliced black olives and hot sauce. Use crackers instead of chips (my current favorites are rice crackers)

favorite snack-handful of almonds with a square of 85% dark chocolate
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm loving breakfast at the moment! Oats flavoured with whey protein are amazing - you can have them either hot or cold as well (if you make the protein shake, pour it over the oats and leave it in the fridge overnight and then add berries and seeds the next morning - amazing).

Also love venison sausages from the butchers grilled and served on top of mixed sauteed/roasted vegetables. Yum!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love love love the turkey burger recipe I found!!!!!!! I get a pak of Walmarts Italian seasoned ground turkey and one red onion. And then I get a pk of the JOSEPHS flax and oat bran lavahj bread wraps, some of the regular guacamole. I chop the onion fine fine and mix it with the meat and make 6 burgers. I grill one in the oven, cut it in half. Take the wrap and use 2 tbs of the guac as your mayonnaise, some lettuce and tomatoe if you want, Cheese if you have the extra claories and then put your halfed burger in the wrap and enjoy!!!!!!!!!! Almost like the McDs wraps but a lot more heathy.
  • Mary_Ann_Miller
    Mary_Ann_Miller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken and brown rice -- Season a thin boneless, skinless chicken breast with cajun seasoning or a little salt and cayenne pepper. Chop up some green onions. Put in a skillet sprayed with Pam and cook turning frequently until cooked and brown. Add instant brown rice and enough water to cook the rice. Cover and simmer until rice is done. Delicious served with green beans or a salad.
  • Madele1ne
    Madele1ne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some things I love at the moment:

Capsicums (peppers) stuffed with a pre-cooked mixture of turkey mince, chopped vegies, cooked lentils and flavours (garlic, chilli, parsley, lemon etc) then baked until they soften.

Along the same lines, cook some turkey mince with vegies and spices, then add some cooked black quinoa. Good hot or cold and freezes well, very filling! Just check your teeth afterwards!

Finely shredded cabbage, spring onion, carrot and coriander. Mix in a small tin of drained tuna in flavored olive oil (Italian style is the best), it's still lowish in cals but the oil makes a delicious dressing. Add a squeeze of lemon and some cracked pepper. I normally eat this with some crackers, but chickpeas are good too.

I love white corn tortillas with salad, shredded chicken and salsa and a bit of plain yoghurt.

I like to poach chicken thigh fillets and eat them on their own (I'm weird) or you can use the chopped meat for sandwiches, mix into a salad, make noodle soup, etc. I put them into cold salted water, just enough to cover them, and cook gradually on low heat until the water just simmers. After 10 mins, turn off the heat and leave in the water for 30 mins, then put into a container and pour the cooking liquid over them, then refrigerate. You can add peppercorns or garlic to the water for a kick. They stay really juicy.

One more- I like to make kangaroo chili in the slow cooker. Horrified? yes we eat kangaroo -it's delicious and super low fat, and kangaroos don't damage the environment the way intensive meat farming does. I throw kanga mince, onion, tomato paste/purée, beans, a jar of jalapeños and spices into the slow cooker and eat the chili with yoghurt and coriander.
  • alicia_christina
    alicia_christina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    they all sound so good! especially the veggie spaghetti
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I could never pick just one, but here are few of my favorites.

Pork loin stewed with root vegetables.
    Shrimp stir fry
    Spaghetti w/ a tomato based veggie / ground turkey sauce
    Grilled salmon w/ spicy roasted brussel sprouts
    Cajun red beans and brown rice
    Bean and ground turkey chili
    Roast or grilled chicken w/ collard greens sauteed in olive oil & garlic
    Blackened catfish w/ sauteed sweet potato and onions
    Beef, lamb or venison stew
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with any of the following:

Roasted chuck roast, gravy, with roasted mixed vegetables.
    Any sort of sauteed fish.
    Bacon, spinach, and cheese omelette.
    Pepperoni and cream cheese (for snacks or lunch
    Two burger patties, medium, with cheese, sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, and jalapenos, with mayo, ketchup, and spicy mustard.
    Anything with bacon. Including other bacon.
  • vwkauffman
    vwkauffman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken meatballs (I use less than 1/2 the butter called for in the recipe, still delicious)
    Black bean salad
    Baked chicken "nuggets"