HRMs and Fitbit Flex

Options
I'm sure the topic's been posted a lot before, but I'd like to get some feedback tailored to my own needs.

I'm looking at buying a Fitbit Flex. And maybe a heart rate monitor. I guess my question is geared towards people that have one or the other, or both...which do you prefer? Which is more accurate? I'm on maintenance and am looking to see how many calories I should eat a day in order to remain healthy and get fit. I'm thinking I might buy both a HRM and the Flex. I like the Flex's overall functionality, but it doesn't really do so well with other activities such as biking (which I enjoy doing often) so I think I'd like a HRM for that. I'm looking at the Polar FT7. Anyone have that one, and if so, what do you think of it?

Opinions?

Replies

• NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was just searching the topic and came across your post. Would love to hear some responses as well before I make the the investment.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have the HRM, which I use for those times I want to know how hard I'm really working. I am planning to get the Fitbit Flex (I've had a fitbit before and loved challenging myself to move around more). I think there is merit to having both. Right tool for the right problem kinda thing.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have both an HRM and a a fitbit (One). If you are looking to maintain and gauge an idea of your TDEE then I would recommend fitbit.

If you wish to log exercises then I've found the fitbit database calorie estimations to fall fairly well in line with my HRM readings so I don't really use my HRM anymore.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    For logging cycling with the FitBit, I heard that wearing it on your shoe (or with the Flex, I guess your ankle) will record the exercise as steps. Only what I've heard but thought I'd pass it on. I have a FitBit One which I love.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Good question.

I have the Fitbit One, which is great. It has far better reviews overall than the Fitbit Flex, but each to their own I guess.

I also just purchased a Polar FT4 HRM, which I find even more useful than the Fitbit.

Don't get me wrong, the Fitbit is great for knowing ones overall TDEE, great for logging steps, showing very active minutes, and even monitoring your sleep. The only let down is the gross overestimation of calories burned. I discovered that the Fitbit gave me a generic calorie burned reading, as opposed to one that was based on my actual heart rate. The HRM knows your exact heart rate, and based on your height, weight and age, it can give you a very accurate readout of how many calories you have actually burned during your exercise.

So to summarise, if you want something to record steps, compete with others (globally) and for some - help keep motivated, then the Fitbit is probably your best bet. On the other hand, if you want something that's going to give you a far more accurate calorie burned reading, then you should go for some kind of HRM. I personally would suggest going for the Polar FT4, it comes with a chest strap and transmitter, so you get a very accurate reading.

Hope this helps!
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really liked my fitbits (Ultra and then One) for the most part. I've just recently switched to the Withings Pulse though and love the heart rate function. It doesn't have a constant monitor, but you can pull it out and check your heart rate periodically if you like and it's all within a single device. Love it.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It looks like we're asking the same question, I didn't see this before! I can't believe there's nothing that integrates both an accelerometer and HRM.