My first powerlifting meet (Photos!)

Options

Replies

• thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!! What amazing accomplishments! I love lifting, and you are inspiring :happy:
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce! Get it, girl! Congrats!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this today. You friggin' rock!!! Thanks for sharing your awesome experience!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    WonderfuL!!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    congratulations super hero you rock
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first powerlifting meet! I won my weight class, took first place in bench and first place in deadlift and set three new USAPL WA state records in the Women’s Open Raw 114lb division.

I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I want to share my experience in the hopes that it will help other know what to expect and maybe even inspire others to get out of the gym and onto the platform! So, here’s my story…with lots of pictures for those people who don’t like to read!

But first, since everyone always asks, here’s how I got into powerlifting. Last year, I was a little out of shape and thought I’d try something other than going nowhere on a treadmill. So I picked up the book, New Rules of Lifting for Women and I bought some used junk off of Craigslist and put it in my basement. I finished NROLFW feeling pretty fit and strong and wanted to try some more advanced lifting. But my basement ceiling is really low, so all that fancy Olympic lifting was out of the question. So I decided to be a powerlifter, since it worked with my ceilings.

With that important decision made, I made the next important decision—I got some lessons. Based on a great recommendation by Taso of MFP, I signed up for some one-on-one form checks at a powerlifting gym owned by Bull Stewart, who’s a local powerlifting legend. That was in February and I ended up working with the head trainer there, Nikolai, who put together a training program for me to do at home, with monthly check-in appointments.

Eight weeks ago, I started training for my first meet: the 17th Annual Bull Stewart Alki Beach Classic. I'm on the Bull Stewart Power/Strikerfit Team with Nikolai as my coach, of course. Originally, we planned to win the 123lb class. About 6 weeks in, I decided we needed to up the ante and set some state records instead! So I dropped 6 pounds in a very short amount of time. I don’t recommend this. In fact, no one ever recommends cutting for your first meet. But most people don’t have the chance to break records at their first meet either.

So by the morning of the meet, I was exhausted, depleted, dehydrated and downright depressed. I’d hardly slept the night before, since I was nervous and hungry. So very hungry. And here’s how it all went down….

7:00 AM – Arrived at the meet, filled out my lifter’s card and evidenced my USAPL membership. (*Tip – It saves time if you get your membership card online. It also helps to have all your lift attempts figured out beforehand and converted from lbs to kgs. Keep your first attempts really conservative—the jitters will get you, no matter how cool you think you are. I mean it. The bar is heavier on the platform than it is in the gym.)

7:30 AM – Weighed-in at about 114lbs with my clothes on. (*Tip – You can get completely naked if you need to. Women will be weighed by other women so it’s not awkward! I was in a hurry to get weighed in so I could start eating, so I weighed with the guys and was able to make weight without taking clothes off.)

7:31 AM – Drank pedialyte and stuffed my face with carbs. (*Tip – Don’t shop and pack your snacks while cutting, since everything will be some kind of salty sweet peanut buttery treat, which gets old fast. Do pack enough food to get through a whole day.)

7:40 AM – Felt borderline human, realized I needed to hand over my lifting card and get my gear inspected. (*Tip – Read the rules for your federation and know what gear is required (i.e. singlet and t-shirt) and what is allowed (e.g. tapered belts are not allowed by USAPL rules).

7:45 AM – Got gear inspected. Gear included: singlet, t-shirt, knee socks, squat shoes, chucks, wrist wraps, and belt. (*Tip – You don’t necessarily need all this stuff, I just like to shop a lot.)

7:50 AM – Continued to eat and drink in a feral-like manner. (*Tip – Don’t overdo it with food, or you will end up feeling bogged down and barfy.)

9:30 AM – Squats!

Here’s my warm-up. It was cold out, I was stiff and tired. But what an amazing place to squat!

9542992992_0c81a99694.jpg

My opening attempt was 125lbs. I nailed it no problem.

9542984468_4687455818.jpg

My second attempt was a state record at 145lbs. I nailed it no problem….and then I moved forward to rack before the command! You can see the frown on Nikolai’s face (he’s the guy spotting me). In fact, everyone looks pretty disappointed in me. Crap. Red Lights. No lift.

9542991618_bec743a8a8.jpg

I tried the 145 again for my third attempt and was sure I would get it. I guess I was so focused on listening for commands, that I squatted really fast and didn’t break parallel. Red lights again. No lift and no record for me.

9540202843_e9f98c1ef7.jpg

10:30 AM – Ate more carbs, drank coffee and more pedialyte. Got my head straight after tanking my squats. I realized I need to get warmed up (it was cold out on the beach), stay loose and keep my head clear and focused.

10:45 AM – Bench Press!

My opening attempt was about 77lbs for the state record. As I approached the platform, I could hear one of the judges asking if there was a mistake—who opens with a state record? I didn’t panic, since I had just warmed up with 85x3. I set the record like a walk in the park.

9542991014_72359c9517.jpg

My second attempt was 85lbs, breaking my own state record. Also easy.

9540202377_db36092b5e.jpg

My third attempt was 95lbs, again breaking my own state record. Also easy. Maybe too easy. But I had been rattled by missing my squats and was feeling bad from my cut, so it was the right choice to keep my lifts easy.

9542990356_9733dfbc31.jpg

Here’s a link to video of the same lift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_VHoq_MOzk

11:00 - Ate more carbs, drank coffee and more pedialyte. Basked in the glory of my state records.

11:30 – Deadlifts!

Here’s my game face as I get ready for my opening deadlift at 175lbs.

9542989136_fabf8b96ff.jpg

I got it no problem, despite having gotten a bit confused about the commands. I got down in position and waited for a “start” command. Finally asked if I could lift and was told YES—LIFT!!!

9542988754_0ca841082a.jpg

My second deadlift attempt was 185 for the state record. No problems.

9542988058_179ec6c31c.jpg

My third attempt was 205 to break my own record. Being the last lift of the day, I was almost out of gas. That was the heaviest 205lbs has ever felt! I struggled with that lift. The audience really helped me—they were cheering me on so hard! And there was one guy cheering (the shirtless guy in the front row…yes ladies, that guy) whose cheering was so loud and so strong it got me through that lift. I heard him loud and clear and I couldn’t let him down! So I got that bar up and back down again for another record!

9542987766_60d0e5c7b7.jpg

So my total was about 425, which was also a state record. I’m still feeling pretty bummed about tanking on my squats and I didn’t get a single PR out there. But I made 7 out of 9 lifts, 5 of which were state records, in my first meet. Here’s me at the awards ceremony (obviously not looking too bummed).

9540198973_54ee7723ce.jpg

And here I am with my trainer, Nikolai—I couldn’t have done it without his coaching, programming and support.

9542986014_45c47cdb95.jpg

And here’s me with some of my MFP buds, Taso and A_Vette!

9540198795_13efe1394e.jpg

And here I am being the almighty 114lb Powerlifting Champion of Alki Beach!!!
    9542985874_e29fe15ec3.jpg

And when I logged onto to Facebook, I found this photo waiting for me! My friend took the shot in my basement the week before. He said he also had another version ready that said “Just Couldn’t Do It,” but was glad he didn’t have to use that one!

9542985366_9f97f68b26.jpg

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and I can’t wait to do it again...in the 123lb class!! (This bish is HANGRY). I got the records and that was fun, but now I want to focus on lifting as heavy as I can, whether or not it breaks a record or wins an trophy! I want to sign up for every meet I can find and just get that experience on the platform. It is truly nerve-wracking to have so many eyes on you when you lift and to have to follow so many rules, commands, technicalities, and formalities! Unlike the gym, which has tested my physical strength, the meet really tested my mental and emotional strength...and, uh, my ability to follow directions.

So if you’ve been considering it, my advice to you is to just go out there and compete--and also, find someone willing to help you throughout the day, especially someone with meet experience and who can give you a lift off for bench! No matter how much you lift, how much you weigh, how old you are…it doesn’t matter! It’s all just for fun. And fame and glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely phenomenal!! :drinker:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow! That was so awesome! And your write-up totally made me feel like I was there! (I actually teared up a little!) You were incredible - the squat thing sounds like something that would VERY likely happen at your first meet, with nerves + not being used to the commands, all that kind of stuff. Don't let that take away ANY of your thunder!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
    Thanks for sharing!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Congrats Jessica! So proud of you!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hear hear! :D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Kickass!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    You are 100% bad@ss!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I love that pic your friend made for you also, BAd Azzz!!!! :wink:
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, this is fantastic.

Also, stop taking advice from Taso, he doesn't even lift.

He lifts babies, we know that for sure! :laugh: The cutest little babies ever!
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure you're my new hero. FR incoming! not only are you amazingly STRONG, you are this pint size adorable chuck taylor wearing tattoo sportin' super cute sock lady! love love love!!!! *internet high five*

OMG I :heart: you and I'm so glad we're friends now! :flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Great job!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This was so exciting to read! Congratulations on your records, that's fantastic!!! That pic your friend made is cool as s***!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    This is so exciting! Congrats, and thanks for the run down for others who might be interested!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!