peanut butter

Options
So i'm always looking for healthy snacks that have a decent amount of protein that won't destroy my calorie quota for the day. I love peanut butter and I buy the natural kind that you have to stir up.

only problem, is that it's super high in calories. If i cut up and apple and put a couple of spoons of peanut butter on it (a normal serving size), i'm taking the equivalent of a full meal's worth of calories out. Is that okay? I keep hearing peanut butter is super healthy and has 'good calories' (whatever that means)

should i just try to avoid it completely?

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Same prob here... I do use PB2 sometimes (powdered, defatted??, peanuts that you reconstitute with water), or Whipped Jif, OR just switched to Almond Butter (all natural) that isn't quite as tasty as PB.
    I also switched to eating it if I had extra calories at the end of the day that needed to be eaten :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    So i'm always looking for healthy snacks that have a decent amount of protein that won't destroy my calorie quota for the day. I love peanut butter and I buy the natural kind that you have to stir up.

only problem, is that it's super high in calories. If i cut up and apple and put a couple of spoons of peanut butter on it (a normal serving size), i'm taking the equivalent of a full meal's worth of calories out. Is that okay? I keep hearing peanut butter is super healthy and has 'good calories' (whatever that means)

No, you should not avoid it and there is no reason to cut out enjoyable items. (unless there is a medical reason for doing so) Yes, peanut butter is higher in calories, but provides a protein punch. If a couple spoons of peanut butter are equivalent to a full meal for you, I am curious what you total calorie goal is for the day?
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I lurv peanut butter! For my breakfast I'll mix a serving of PB2 with a tablespoon of real PB - stir it all together to get the tasty deliciousness of PB without ALL the calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

No, you should not avoid it and there is no reason to cut out enjoyable items. (unless there is a medical reason for doing so) Yes, peanut butter is higher in calories, but provides a protein punch. If a couple spoons of peanut butter are equivalent to a full meal for you, I am curious what you total calorie goal is for the day?
    ^ Agreed.

As a man you should not be eating less than 1700-1800 calories, so unless you are eating a huge apple with 3 TBP of Peanut butter, you are probably exaggerating a little.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to cut it out if you:
    1. like it.
    2. can make it fit in your calories for the day?

There's nothing inherently wrong with peanut butter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day.

Do whatever you want.

If you aren't vegetarian, it is not relativerly high in protein, but it will keep your full and tastes super yummy.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'd never cut out peanut butter and go through a smaller jar every week
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I still include PB in my diet and it hasn't harmed me (I love the stuff and could never give it up). PB is a good protein option, I just try to use a serving size instead of globs of it, as well, I don't eat it everyday.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • erickirb
    Options
    Bacon

Mmmm, Bacon
  • marthahorn
    Options
    instead of an apple, eat it with carrots, celery, or other crunchy veggies. just as good, fewer calories, if that's your goal.
  • CreepingBriar
    CreepingBriar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am gonna second the recommendation of powdered PB. I forget what brand I use since I don't have a jar in the pantry right now, and I don't know how different the calories are, but I get it out of the health food aisle at Kroger and it is delicious. Like others say, PB is more calories, but it is also a healthy snack, so unless your going over you're calorie limit with it keep on nommin'.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Bacon and peanut butter make the world go round!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter on apples. I'd try eating just half an apple but then there's that other half that gets all brown and sad unless I put it in the juicer and then put it in the fridge, forget about it, and toss it out with a clear conscience.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    Bacon

Don't forget chocolate.....:smile:
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Oooohhh, I like you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    Options
    Bacon

Chocolate covered bacon with peanut butter spread on it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My favorite peanut butter brand is Peanut Butter & Co.

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/

You can find it at Whole Foods and online (or at their sandwich shop in NYC).

Here's the info:

Peanut Butter & Co.'s line of all-natural peanut butter contains no hydrogenated oils, no cholesterol, no trans-fats and, no high fructose corn syrup. Our flavors are gluten-free, vegan (except for The Bee's Knees which is vegetarian), and certified kosher. Lastly, but just as importantly, we only use USA-grown peanuts in our peanut butter.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter on apples. I'd try eating just half an apple but then there's that other half that gets all brown and sad unless I put it in the juicer and then put it in the fridge, forget about it, and toss it out with a clear conscience.

Just sprinkle a little lemon juice on the apple slices. That will make them perfect for transport and prevent the oxidation (brown). Enjoy!
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    Bacon

Chocolate covered bacon with peanut butter spread on it.

hF05B84B5