Refueling during a race

Options
daj150
daj150 Posts: 815 Member
I have a problem and need to some options. During long runs and long events, such as triathlons, I need to regain my energy during the race, and stuff like Gu makes me gag. I have tried stuff like G2 chews, but they take too long and dry me out so I get thirstier. Also, I need to stop to eat them...they are not very convenient mid-run or bike. I am not interested in sodium tablets either...I need something that I can take, maybe make it dissolve or easy to eat with a quick swig of water. Any recommendations? Thanks for any help.

Edit: Note: Stuff like bars don't really work either...I can't seem to chew and run...otherwise I would eat Quest bars.

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    google "metabolic efficiency"

or try a product called "generation ucan"
  • daj150
    Options
    google "metabolic efficiency"

or try a product called "generation ucan"

I appreciate the links, but the UCAN SuperStarch is for before and after, and searching metabolic efficiency has not really given me any good options for during-race energy replenishment other than reading stuff I already know. My before and after nutrition is fine...it's my fast metabolism and the fact that after a certain period of time, I need real fuel otherwise I will bonk.

I really need examples of what people are taking during races. For example, I get done a 1.5km swim, and usually around miles 18-22 of my bike leg in a triathlon, I start getting very hungry and Gatorade and water do nothing. As I noted, Gu and similar options make me get very nauseous, and I need something fast acting, and prefer not to take sodium pills.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I saw something at ****'s Sporting Goods in the race nutrition section and can't for the life of me remember what its called. But it's a tablet that you dissolve in water. It's supposed to be "like" GU just dissolvable. Sorry I can't be of more help with the name.
  • daj150
    Options
    There are a bunch of stores around me, I'll stop by and see if I find a tablet like that, thanks!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a fan of shot bloks on the bike and gels on the run. But, to break up the monotony, I also enjoy sport beans. Can you eat those? And I'm not sure how you'll take this, but there're these little peanut butter pretzel bites that I buy at Costco. I put a big handful in a baggie and throw that in my jersey pocket or my bento box, and snack on them every so often. They're crunchy, but not chewy, and they have some protein and fat. They're pretty salty, but I'm okay with that.

Have you considered something like CarbBoom? I'm not a big fan of getting calories and electrolytes in my liquids. I much prefer getting all my cals and e's through more solid forms, then water as my liquid. But that's just me. Everybody's different.

If this doesn't help, then I hope others have better answers for you. Good luck figuring it all out!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you getting a good high-calorie, high-carb, moderate protein, low-fat meal a couple hours before you start your race? That can make a big difference later.

Those pretzel-peanut-butter things Trijoe mentioned work for me on the bike. I use Combo's. You can get cheese ones as well. I put them in a sandwich baggie, not zipped shut, and keep them in the bento box on my top tube. Can just grab them a couple at a time. Commercial or homemade cheese crackers or peanut butter crackers also taste good to me. String cheese is good on-bike food. Take it out of the packages beforehand. You'll never get them open while biking. Again, sandwich baggies not zipped shut.

If you eat enough on the bike, you won't get as hungry on the run. Most people don't do well eating while running, so it really helps to get enough in one form or another on the bike.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I never cared for GU either, but I do well with the Vanilla Hammer Gel. I don't do the little individual packets. I buy it in bulk and put in a squeeze flask. I don't depend on this alone. I'm a big fan of peanut butter sandwiches. I make up a couple of sandwiches and cut them up into bite size pieces and munch on them while on the bike or when I take a break. I know many racers don't, but I have to. I know some people don't like it, but Gatorade is also helpful to me. I drink Gatorade and plain water throughout.

I also eat before the race, although I don't overload, I do eat a good breakfast. I tend to eat it pretty close to start, like about an hour. Others feel like they need more time. I feel that the closer I can handle it to start time, more available it will be to me about an hour into the race.
  • daj150
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions; building a good list of things to try. In regards to sandwiches and the pretzels, my body doesn't seem to really absorb them quick enough. I would have to take them at T1, when I am not even close to needing them. Definitely going to try out the other stuff though.

In regards to pre-race nutrition...I am getting what I need...not really low protein though...I usually have a 3-scoop whey shake, 1 pack of G2 chews, and an egg and bagel sandwich, or if no eggs, then at least a bagel. I'll snack on other stuff as well, but I typically need to have any food consumed and the bulk of my pre-race hydration in me about an hour before I start.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7

Has lots of information, particularly for you, dietary CHO, CHO loading strategies and timings, plus performance enhancing supplements section has strategies for CHO and sports drinks.

If you can't chew then drinks seem the obvious solution, but I have friends that use jelly babies or beans.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ucan is often used during training or competition. Some people use it mildly dilute with whey protein and a little bit of coconut oil in it. With metabolic efficiency you reduce the amount of sugar burned during exercise thereby limiting the amount of calories you need to intake.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been eating almonds and dried prunes while out on the bike and run. The prunes have been giving me a quick boost of energy when I need it. My body seems to tolerate them well. I haven't tried Honey Stingers, but I've heard good things about them in terms of how quickly they dissolve and how easy they are to ingest.
  • audraws12
    audraws12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. Normal gels like GU are too concentrated make me sick because I can't take in enough water while running to digest them. They are fine while on the bike though since I can intact more water to dilute them enough. I've personally found Maxifuel Viper Gels and they have gotten me through multiple 1/2 and Full Marathons, and numerous Tri's including 2 Ironman. They are still "gels" but they are larger in size due to the fact that they contain more water in them already. The lemon lime is delicious and tastes like a popsicle. I hope this info helps you. Happy Training!

http://www.maxishop.com/maxifuel/performance/viper-active-gel
  • audraws12
    audraws12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Prunes would have way too much fiber in them for me to eat during a run :)
  • daj150
    Options
    Maxifuel is no go. Per the product description "Stimulating 100mg high strength caffeine to elevator your body and mind fast. Wake-up, zone-in and explode into action." Caffeine doesn't work for me. I would be better off taking a 5-hour energy. Too much caffeine just gives me a stomach ache and has no other effect...as I mentioned before, my metabolism is a bit different. The Ucann stuff doesn't give me enough natural ingredients, so once again, my system won't process them quickly.

In reviewing responses, doing additional research, and reading lots of reviews, I think I need something that has the effect of 5-hour Energy but also gets me the calories and electrolytes I need quickly. Some of the options mentioned might fit the bill...have to get to the store to check this stuff out.
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the little honey packets that you can get from 7-Eleven or a place of the sort... Follow the packet with some water and I'm good to go!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would have to take them at T1, when I am not even close to needing them.

That's when the fueling should start, give your system a chance to absorb the carbs and make the energy available.

What's more important though is what you're eating in the couple of days leading up to the race. Unless you're doing a HI or longer I don't think you need to go nuts carb loading but you shouldn't be at a deficit and an emphasis on carbs will help ensure that you've got enough glycogen to see you through.

I make my own "gel" out of honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water (just to dilute it slightly) and it seems to work as well for me as any of the commercial gels at a fraction of the cost (and I get to feel smug about not littering the race course with empty gel packets)
  • daj150
    Options
    I would have to take them at T1, when I am not even close to needing them.

That's when the fueling should start, give your system a chance to absorb the carbs and make the energy available.

What's more important though is what you're eating in the couple of days leading up to the race. Unless you're doing a HI or longer I don't think you need to go nuts carb loading but you shouldn't be at a deficit and an emphasis on carbs will help ensure that you've got enough glycogen to see you through.

I make my own "gel" out of honey, molasses, a pinch of salt and a bit of water (just to dilute it slightly) and it seems to work as well for me as any of the commercial gels at a fraction of the cost (and I get to feel smug about not littering the race course with empty gel packets)

What I should have said is, I can't take anything during T1 because during races or workouts, I can't force something down way before I need it. I don't expect to wait until I need it, because then it's technically too late. My prior days to race are the same as any other training week...so I am never worrying about that. And I am starting to train for HI, marathons and more, so I definitely have to worry about this. I love your homemade option. Can't wait to try that out!
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Power Bar gels? They are a much thinner consistency than GU and are what I use.

A trick for the bike that I always use...if you do find a gel you like - um, easier to tell you to google "taping energy gels to a bike" than to try and put it in words. ;)
  • daj150
    Options
    Yeah, they don't really work for me...don't make me gag...but don't really help.
  • darcyrees
    darcyrees Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also second UCAN. I did a +200 mile bike race in the fall. I kept water in one bottle and UCAN in the other. And yes, I also ate real food (pj sandwich, turkey sandwich, peeled red potatoes, jerky, oranges, watermelon, pretzels, animal crackers, mojo trail mix bar). UCAN is easy to digest, doesn't cause a sugar spike, and helps your body burn fat as fuel. I used the UCAN that contains protein because I was doing over a 12 hour race (three mountain passes) and needed the protein for my muscles. Hopefully, you found something for your race, but if you haven't you may want to give UCAN a try.