Reccomendations for a Stability Running Shoe?

Options
emAZn
emAZn Posts: 413 Member
Going to get fitted for a new shoe for my half marathon training and was wondering if anyone could recommend a stability shoe they like. I used to run in the Asics GT-1000 and never had any problems but when those ran out (ha ha literally…) I was fitted with the GT-2000 and started having achilles/knee pain on my longer distance runs, usually around mile 6-8. I added the Dr. Scholls active women inserts and that seems to help a bit but still I feel like there is a better shoe out there for me.

I also notice my pain is a little more noticeable when I have a really good strong/faster pace run vs. a recovery/more relaxed run so maybe my foot-strike pattern is changing with my strong runs?

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Why don't you go with the recommendation that your running store gives you. I bet it would be better than that of a bunch of strangers on the internet who have never seen you run and don't know the first thing about shoes.
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just got fitted at a running store because I was having a lot of knee pain and they put me in a Brooks Dyad 7, and it has made a huge difference for me. But I have a neutral gait, so I'm not sure if they would work for you. But I've heard a lot of good things about Brooks running shoes in general, so if you can find out at the running store what would be best for you in terms of what kind of style you would need, I would definitely recommend Brooks. I will be checking them out again when I need to replace these. My daughter has a totally different foot type than mine (very narrow and hard to fit), and they put her in a Brooks Adrenaline, and she's also loving them.

I'm not getting the pain I was getting before and my pace has even increased a bit.
  • emAZn
    Options
    I will definatley listen to what the running store sales person reccomends but I was just wondering if anyone had a shoe that worked for them they wanted to reccomend that I could keep my eye out for... Last time I was fitted and I'm not entirely confident in one sales person's reccomendation vs. the internet so I'm keeping my mind and options open.
  • igoleft6
    igoleft6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of Brooks Ariels, they have great stability. I'm an overpronator and used to get shin splints and knee pain and my running store recommended them and I'm on my fifth pair!
  • rdallen
    rdallen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had achilles issues with a neutral shoe. Switched to the Brooks Adrenaline GTS12 and the achilles issues are pretty much gone. I have also heard not to increase mileage or pace more than 10% per week. I was increasing more than that distance, and wearing the wrong shoes. Every now and then I'll still get some achilles stiffness, but not the level of soreness I was experiencing. I am a mild to moderate overpronator when I run, so the support shoes have made a world of difference.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will definatley listen to what the running store sales person reccomends but I was just wondering if anyone had a shoe that worked for them they wanted to reccomend that I could keep my eye out for... Last time I was fitted and I'm not entirely confident in one sales person's reccomendation vs. the internet so I'm keeping my mind and options open.

Then I would go to a different store to be fitted. We can all tell you what shoes work for each of us, but it's not going to help you find one that works for you.

Try on several pairs that the store recommends and go from there. Ask if they have a love it or return it policy.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When I first began running I had really bad IT pain. In order to avoid issues I visited an orthopedist who recommended I get personal orthotics. That got rid of my issues. However, during one of the 1/2 marathon expo's i was talking to a running store shoe guy who said that if i had been using the ASICS Kayano's rather than the Nimbus's I wouldn't have needed the orthotics.

SO...while I have yet to spend the $ on them...check out the Kayano's since they are a stability shoe.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i'm a walker not a runner, but i would think these would translate. my overall fave has been anything by RYKA. they don't make a stability walking shoe any more, but they do have a great running shoe. my next faves are new balance (currently wearing a 840V2) or brooks. the brooks were definilty the longest lasting.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I liked my Brooks Trance, but never did serious running in them. I switched to the Brooks Pure cadence because I liked the look. (I know....) But, they've worked good for me. I do get some foot and knee pain after a few miles, though. But, I don't think that's necessarily the shoes. I've never been running store fitted, but a friend of mine who's been working with shoes forever, got me in my first pair of Brooks. I want to go to a running store, but I hate paying full price for shoes (I am a scale scourer), and I'm worried they'll recommend something I don't like.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Then I would go to a different store to be fitted. We can all tell you what shoes work for each of us, but it's not going to help you find one that works for you.

Try on several pairs that the store recommends and go from there. Ask if they have a love it or return it policy.

Yep. Learn how to deal with sales people. The ones who work in running stores, in my experience, work there out of passion (and possibly for the discount) so they are generally trying to be helpful. Tell them your budget, and do not be afraid to leave without a purchase if none of the shoes they show you feel right on your feet. The shoe should feel good at the store, they should let you test it out on their treadmill, and there is a range of shoes that you can try so you don't have to spend $200. (Although you will spend more than $100, most likely.)
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I wear the Nike Zoom structure and have been very happy with them. They redesigned them for this years model and I had to go down a 1/2 size, other than that they seem to be working well for me. They used to be called Triax Structure.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline for years. Love them, they don't change and have been basically injury free since (including training for 3 marathons and several half marathons). I add the Down Unders insole and for me its a perfect combo.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I over pronate and the shoes I like are Saucony Hurricanes and Asics Gel Kayano 19 right now. They have both given me really good support and I can always tell when I need new shoes becasue my knee will start to bother me when they get worn down. Good Luck finding a good fit!
  • emAZn
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for those while I'm testing today :)