What do you eat before an early-morning workout?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It depends. I'm not a big early morning breakfast guy, but my favorite go-to when I do eat it, is 2 eggs, a cup of egg whites, some cheese, a couple slices of bacon, some tortillas, coffee, some cantaloupe, and milk.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    nothing i IF till noon so i just rely on my fat storages
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Before a long run, at least an hour before, I'll try to have an english muffin with some jelly or honey. easy carbs, but not a ton. I HATE food sloshing around when I run.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oats and whey
  • lmerino
    lmerino Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually eat a Clif Mojo bar. It's a low-glycemic bar and gives me the energy I need to get me through my 6 AM workouts.

Here are some other good ideas:
    http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/981973/pre-workout-foods-to-burn-fat
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that NEEDS breakfast first thing out of bed (practically), so I've never been able to get the 'fasted while working out' thing to work for me (I feel weak and light-headed). I do want to keep trying though, it'd make things a bit easier.

Usually it's just a piece of fruit and some lemon water. I make sure to eat it immediately after waking, so that it's digested enough by the time I'm ready to hit the pavement.

If I'm feeling crazy, I'll add some raw almond butter to my banana/apple as well.
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    Oatmeal with cinnamon and Splenda
    Protein shake with water
    Vitamins + pre-workout
  • laceymcmath
    Options
    I don't eat anything before morning workouts... and if you're just 23, and working out regularly, you might not be eating enough to start with.

ETA: at only 9lbs to go, update your profile here to lose .5/lb per week.

=/ Sorry about that. I guess I need to update... I haven't followed MFP's suggestions (which is something like 1200 calories) almost since the beginning, so I didn't even know what my profile said I was trying to lose per week.

Thank you to all who gave suggestions... it's nice to see the variety. I DO have to eat something before I work out. I am hypoglycemic and if I don't give my body anything before I start moving a lot, I get quite sick. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't work out on an empty stomach... after the first few people posted, I was starting to feel like a weirdo. :noway:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have nothing 99% of the time... or a banana.

Same
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with fruit, a handful of something green (spinach,kale, etc) some flax seed and almond milk or coconut milk, depending on fruits used. It gives me the energy and carbs to get going, and the smoothies don't make me feel weighed down when working out. After the workout, I will get my protein in, either eggs or protein powder.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i usually do a piece of toast w/some peanut butter. Or I'll do 1/4 cup of oatmeal before a early morning workout
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are sort of the worst replies ever. *lol* I guess it all depends on what sort of exercise you're doing, but OP was asking for suggestions, I think. :)

Up until about 5 years ago, I too, probably would have said "nothing" but these days I find if I try to do any exercise without at least something in my stomach, it won't go well. I get all shaky and dizzy. Not good if I'm riding a bike or on a treadmill. Hence, my suggestion: banana and/or Atkins bar.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Food!

All kidding aside, I'm the same way. If I have a banana I'll eat that, a slice of bread and some peanut butter. Usually something small, but good.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I need to have something before I run. I have half a piece of fruit (pear/banana/apple), a spoonful of raw honey and a big glass of water. When I get back I'll finish the fruit and drink coffee while I'm making breakfast.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie - rice/quinoa protein powder, flax seed, chia seeds, hemp hearts (1 TBSP each) with unsweetened almond milk and some frozen peaches or mango (allergic to berries).

I saw Jillian Michels on TV a couple of weeks ago saying that you should never exercise on an empty stomach. Not that she's always right.....but I have also heard this from other "experts". She said the whole thing about not eating before working out in the AM is old-school, they know now that it's not good for you.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I run fasted, or at least 95% fasted -- I drink 1/3 of a protein shake with a cup of coffee.

I find that if I run fasted in the morning, I have more even energy and don't get a crash. If I have a few carbs prior to running, I tend to run out of gas.

When I lift weights mid-day, I need to fuel with a balance of protein, fats and carbs. I don't think I could lift weights fasted.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Mainly coffee or something light, such as a lean shake or maybe a granola bar. Eating before a workout gives me an awful case indigestion and the hiccups (Wish I was lying about that..)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    a cup or 2 of coffee is all. I eat after I do my cardio in the morning. For lifting, which I do after work, I don't like to eat anything 2-3 hours before, otherwise, the meal sits at the back of my throat thru the entire session.
  • gblack771
    Options
    You can go two ways with it. Consider either something non-greasy with some protein such as a cheese stick to help curb the sick feeling or to actually give you a small boost eat half a muffin. I am very aware eating only half a muffin is pretty much impossible, but eating a whole muffin before a cardio workout makes me feel bloated.
  • SunnySideofLove
    Options
    Sperm....does sperm count? My protein choice before 6am, just sayin.:bigsmile: