My first powerlifting meet (Photos!)

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl! What an inspiration you are.....and a BAMF to boot :bigsmile:

Also love the pic with the MFP family!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    How inspiring!!! You go girl!! Thanks for sharing your story!!! :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is Taso pregnant again, so soon? ;)

Maybe he's aiming for triplets this time?
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    USAPL lets you continue to have sanctioned lifts after you bomb? Most feds will let you keep lifting but your lifts are not eligible for records. (unless you happen to enter the bench only and deadlift only classes). .

Congrats on your 1st meet, take those squat errors and use them as a building block for next time! It's frustrating when a little technical error causes you to miss a perfect lift!
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    USAPL lets you continue to have sanctioned lifts after you bomb? Most feds will let you keep lifting but your lifts are not eligible for records. (unless you happen to enter the bench only and deadlift only classes). .

Congrats on your 1st meet, take those squat errors and use them as a building block for next time! It's frustrating when a little technical error causes you to miss a perfect lift!

Thank you! My first squat was good (not a state record, but white lights all around) and that's all you need. It's only if you miss all three that you're in trouble.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go! Congratulations on your wins!
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    As someone also starting out with a home gym with stuff bought on Craigslist, I found this wonderfully inspiring. I will likely never compete, but the thought that I could if I wanted to is kinda neat. (if they have an old-timers division.... lol!)

Thank you for sharing, and congrats!!

There is definitely a geezer division, called masters. It's usually grouped in10 year jumps- 40-49, 50-59, etc, You compete against everyone in your age group, and they use a formula to figure out who wins.

I have never lifted in a commercial gym, and I used to compete all the time. I had a meet judged 475 bench, 560 squat and 585 deadlift that I trained for in my basement gym. I always did the masters division, back then I was in the 40-49 group.

So..... go for it! It's a LOT of fun.
  • danimalkeys
    Options

Thank you! My first squat was good (not a state record, but white lights all around) and that's all you need. It's only if you miss all three that you're in trouble.

Ah, OK, I missed where you hit your opener. Congrats!!
  • MT30_backbone
    Options
    That's amazing! Great job! :)
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As someone also starting out with a home gym with stuff bought on Craigslist, I found this wonderfully inspiring. I will likely never compete, but the thought that I could if I wanted to is kinda neat. (if they have an old-timers division.... lol!)

Thank you for sharing, and congrats!!

There is definitely a geezer division, called masters. It's usually grouped in10 year jumps- 40-49, 50-59, etc, You compete against everyone in your age group, and they use a formula to figure out who wins.

I have never lifted in a commercial gym, and I used to compete all the time. I had a meet judged 475 bench, 560 squat and 585 deadlift that I trained for in my basement gym. I always did the masters division, back then I was in the 40-49 group.

So..... go for it! It's a LOT of fun.

I'm so glad you responded to this! I had seen this and then couldn't find it again. I love that they call it Masters. So distinguished! And WOW those are some impressive stats!
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    great blog and wtg ur amazing and you worked hard for that!! lookign fwd to more of ur blogs!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! Thank you for sharing! You rock.
  • HeavyPetter
    HeavyPetter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're not reading through the hundreds of posts on here, but just in case you got some spare time and happen to come across mine - just wanted to say congrats and you look fantastic!
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You ROCK Girl!!!!
  • tammi_t
    tammi_t Posts: 20
    Options
    You're my SHE-RO!! Go girl! :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Whoa just caught this thread and it's on page 7 already! Freaking awesome job on your first meet! I love the pro-tips you listed above in parenthesis. I have to confess now, the morning of, I was totally on the fence about going, and the thought of sitting around in my PJ's drinking coffee was more appealing, but I'm so glad we went. Maybe at the next one I'll be lifting too!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Amazing job and a great inspiration. Beautiful.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. Well done!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    This is without a doubt the most awesome thing I've read today!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!