9-5 workers

Options
Hi 9-5ers

Just a question - when do you fit your workout in? since starting work 8:45am-5:15pm i have found it hard to get to the gym/classes more than twice a week.

So how do you get your workout in around your work? and what types of exercise do you do?

Thanks

Katie
xxx

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    I get up at 5am. I train with a trainer 3 days a week for a hour - high intensity interval training, running and boxing. On days I don't train with him I still get up at 5am. I do a core workout and then walk my dogs.

When I get in from work I then walk the dogs again every day. On saturdays and sundays I continue to walk the dogs twice a day. On saturdays I still do my core work out but sundays are a rest day. On saturday I may go swimming or for more walks as I now get itchy feet and can't sit still!

xxx
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Morning Katie,

I do my workouts in the evening after work (i finish at 5 but dont get to the gym till 20past...

... For example

Monday - Football 6pm -7pm
    Tuesday - Gym 5.30pm - 7pm (on a good day!)
    Wednesday - Day off
    Thursday - Gym 5.30pm - 6.30pm
    Friday - Gym 1.30pm - 3pm (i work half a day)

If i can be bothered ill go on the weekend but a hangover is never good workingout!

I usually have a banana or rice cakes around 3.30 ti give myself a little boost so that im not starving by the time i get to the gym!
    Hope this helps hun!
    xx
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm generally home for 5.30, eaten by 6, at gym at
    7.30 doing lighter work for the first half hour or so. Gym's open until 10 so I get a good couple of hours there.
  • sazziecee
    Options
    I am not a 9-5 worker but during the school holidays I permanently had my 2 sons here, who can't be trusted to behave when I am not watching them constantly, so from 7am-5pm (when hubby gets home) exercise was basically out, apart from if we went for a walk/bike ride

So I would go to Zumba classes or aerobic classes 2-3 evenings a week and use the Wii fit in the other evenings while watching TV, a 30 min free- jog or 2 x 30 min free-step (this is still pretty much my routine now, except there is an extra saturday morning class now, and I also squeeze in a monday morning class as I start work at 12pm)

Guess you just have to make it part of your routine, when I drive past my nearest Nuffield Heath Gym (with floor to ceiling open windows) it is always the most packed from 6-8pm. so it seems that most people do tend to go after work.

I also have friends who go for a daily 6am swim, or bike 4 miles to work etc.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from around 6.30-8pm (and my gym is 20 miles away)

on the days I'm not at the gym I'm just putting more effort into my usual routine :smile: for example, I do my sit ups every morning, when going to work I park half a mile away from the office and walk briskly, rather than taking the lift to my floor I go up the stairs

as for Saturday's, well that's car cleaning day :laugh: by cleaning I mean 3-4 hours of hoovering, washing, drying, sealing, waxing, shining... when I'm finished there's no way I'd even think about going to the gym!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Helloooo,

I work 9am to 5.30pm (:frown: ) and I am usually in work at 8.30am...omg long day! But I have no choice other than go to the gym after work, sure sometimes I just cannot be bothered but I try and force myself because as soon as I walk past the threshold of the gym I feel better and even if I just go for 30 mins it's better than nothing - and all I'd be doing at home is watching TV or making dinner or something :ohwell: it's hard but it has to be done!

On the weekends I like to do some outdoor activity, like hikinig or going for a bike ride which means we get to do something enjoyable and do a lot of exercise which means I don't have to feel bad about my Saturday evening glass of vino tinto!

:heart: Mimi xxx
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am out of the house by 7am and don't get back to my house until 5:30 then I must cook dinner I workout at the house doing P90x starting at 7 or 8pm. When i was going to the gym I went straight from work and knocked out a workout. I got much use out of my crockpot for dinner or my husband would cook dinner while I went to the gym so dinner was done and ready when I got home.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I work 8-4 and 9-5 in alternating shifts. I'm NOT a morning person so I do my workouts at night before I go to bed. I'm in the comfort of my own home and I don't have to worry or account for travel time.

I have a vast supply of workout DVDs so I change it up if I want to day to day.

Somtimes when I work 8-4 I meet my sister in law at her work at 6 so I have an hour to kill once I factor in transit time so I walk for that hour too.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I've arranged to get in to work at 8:30 so I can leave at 4:30 - that puts me ever so slightly ahead of the evening rush. I go home, change, and turn around and go straight to the gym - I don't give myself a chance to pause otherwise I would probably lose my resolve. I work out for 45 minutes to an hour then go home and let rice boil or whatever while I shower. It's a long day, but it's the only way it works for me and I'm always really glad I went when it's over! The added bonus is that it kills my appetite a bit and so I think I eat less at dinner because of it.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am a 9-5.30 worker and although it makes my day longer i go after work ...usually between 7-9 ...its the only way i can do it ..and then i go on the weekends! its very hard to keep motivated but as soon as i leave the gym i feel sooo much better!
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I work 8 - 4:45 and have two little ones at home. I work out after my 2 year old goes to bed around 8pm. I work out at home on the treadmill. It isn't ideal but it really is the only chance I have. My husband gets up in the mornings and works out so I can't do it then.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have actually found it pretty easy to get a workout in every day with a full time job. I work from 8am-5pm or so, and I just work out immediately after I get off work. On Tues. and Thurs I had been going to the small gym that my company has in our building for free. I spend about an hour there. The other days of the week I go home and do workout videos. I'm doing Chalean Extreme and Turbo Fire right now, so I just do one or two of those videos. On the weekend, I get up in the morning and work out first thing. It works really well and I very rarely skip a day. Although, I'll admit that I'm a single 23 year old living by myself... no kids, no hubby to cook for, etc. Throw all that into the mix and I can see where it gets tricky.
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I get up at 6 and work out for 45 minutes in the morning. Then I go running for an hour after work.
  • karenyg
    Options
    I go to the gym Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, after work & Sat morning. I have a schedule: Mon & Wed weights and running then on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday I do water aerobics. This seems to be working out for me.
  • bebby
    bebby Posts: 18
    Options
    I walk home from work almost every day. This gives me a great 40 minute work out.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am for 45 minutes on the elliptical 5 times a week and I leave the house around 6:45am for work.
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    I have been walking during my lunch breaks - now I am cycling to and from work (not everyday but couple of times a week. I find if its part of my working day I can do it. Evenings are for kids and homework, housework etc
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I travel 1.5 hours for work, so I am going from 6am till I get home @ 8pm everynight, but I make sure to make it to the gym. I put my clothes and shoes in the car before leaving the house at 7am and after I leave work at 4:30 go straight to the gym (no stopping, no passing GO!) ... It's hard sometimes to go.. especially since I have to pass my house to go, but I usually make it there by 5:45ish. I work out til 7:30 and home I go! I then let myself relax on the weekends as my treat for going all week!
  • miss_amy
    Options
    i work LONG days (8-5:30, sometimes longer with OT) Mon-Thurs... by the time i get home and eat dinner i'm exhausted and it's like 7pm.. but i still fight and work out most days (about 5 days a week). i say if you're a morning person, do it before work. if you're not, do it after. :)
  • summerjoy0621
    summerjoy0621 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30-5:30 but I am up and out of the house by 6:45 to drop kids off and my husband. During the summer me and my husband were working out every day after work which we work in Fort Worth so getting somewhere is a task in its self. By the time I pick him up it is 6:30pm by the time we get to the gym so we really only have 1 hour to work out before we need to get the kids home and ready for bed. Its even harder now that school is in. Its almost impossible to say the least. I am thinking about getting a Wii Fit to see if it helps. I will be looking to see what everyone says. Having children makes a big difference. :wink: