Ellipticals!

Options
2»

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've actually owned two, the first one became the stereotypical clothes hanger, so much so it ended up in the garden to put the laundry on, left outside for a couple of winders, probably used once or twice, utter waste of money.

But recently, I have decided I actually am going to get fit and burn cals in order to hit my targets since starting back on mfp, and have been dedicated to using my new one, usually 15-30 mins per day. No, it's not interesting, but hell you whack some tunes on or stick a programme on the telly and the time flies past, it's a great way to keep the hr elevated at a steady pace to burn calories, and is comparitively low impact (though for some reason my left toes go numb when I use mine, no idea why though it must be my technique or posture.)

I say go for it!
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If running is hurting your joints have you checked your shoes?

You may need a new pair or different style. That may be all it takes to get the joint pain to go away.

Or a slower pace, or different surface to run on.

How old are your shoes?

If you like running, I say stick with that, but figure out what's hurting your joints.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole E35 and love it. Expensive, but it was one of the few home machines rated for my beginning weight. It's gotten use from at least 1 person daily for more than 1.5 years and is still sturdy, quiet and smooth.
  • lesteidel
    Options
    Especially since other than shoes, running is free :)
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If running is hurting your joints have you checked your shoes?

You may need a new pair or different style. That may be all it takes to get the joint pain to go away.

Or a slower pace, or different surface to run on.

How old are your shoes?

If you like running, I say stick with that, but figure out what's hurting your joints.

I've changed shoes, and surfaces. I just bought a new pair of shoes, and it cut it down a lot, which was nice, but I still have to worry about the children, buses, and random dogs. SO maybe a treadmill?
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The below illustrates how it keeps the pressure off the knees. Note the impeccable form and full range of motion being exhibited.

FUdqy.gif
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    The below illustrates how it keeps the pressure off the knees. Note the impeccable form and full range of motion being exhibited.

FUdqy.gif

haha that's fantastic, I must start doing that.
  • lesteidel
    Options
    I personally get bored with ellipticals quickly.

I like running.

I like treadmills, none of the worries of outside and controlled temps, but it can get a bit boring

Maybe next time you are in a city with a real running shoe shop, it might be worth it to get evaluated and make sure you have the right shoes for the way you run. Not all running shoes are equal.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a Pacemaster treadmill and a Sole E35 elliptical and I have been using both M-F religiously. The treadmill hurts my knees and joints if I use it too much so to I use both the elliptical and treadmill to kinda offset each other. The treadmill is in the basement out of the way. I have a very large bedroom and my husband was nice enough to put the elliptical in there and set a laptop up so I can stream all my tv shows. Honestly I love it and it reminds me of what I need to do everyday.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    I personally get bored with ellipticals quickly.

I like running.

I like treadmills, none of the worries of outside and controlled temps, but it can get a bit boring

Maybe next time you are in a city with a real running shoe shop, it might be worth it to get evaluated and make sure you have the right shoes for the way you run. Not all running shoes are equal.

I just bought some nike air plus ones. So I don't think it's the shoes. I love running, so treadmill is a very close second, And yeah I get bored easily with running outside, because there is only the same stuff over and over again, same with treadmill, but I know I need to do it, so I turn my brain off and go elsewhere. Which has caused many trips and falls.
    I have a Pacemaster treadmill and a Sole E35 elliptical and I have been using both M-F religiously. The treadmill hurts my knees and joints if I use it too much so to I use both the elliptical and treadmill to kinda offset each other. The treadmill is in the basement out of the way. I have a very large bedroom and my husband was nice enough to put the elliptical in there and set a laptop up so I can stream all my tv shows. Honestly I love it and it reminds me of what I need to do everyday.

Yeah my ...whatever i get... is going to go in the living room temporarily, then in the room we are gonna use to sleep in.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at ****s Sporting Goods. A Livestrong 8.0. I LOVE it!! Best thing I ever did and dont miss the gym at all!!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ha ha funny it thinks the name of the sporting goods store is inappropriate!
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    Ha ha funny it thinks the name of the sporting goods store is inappropriate!

Ha that is funny, I think I'm gonna save up a bit more money and buy a good one that will last a while.

Although I am currently hating running outside
  • carmichaels99
    Options
    I went to a good exercise equipment store to find one that fit all my needs and wants. That way someone who is knowledgeable can make recommendations based on that. I bought mine 6.5 years ago and still use it on a regular basis. I have periods of time where I am bored with it, but I switch up my activities and its a great go-to when I can't do anything else.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at ****s Sporting Goods. A Livestrong 8.0. I LOVE it!! Best thing I ever did and dont miss the gym at all!!

That's the one I have. Great value considering the features and quality.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Insane .. no one can 'outgrow' an elliptical!! There
    are days that are too hot or too cold. Climate might
    not be best outside for many things but an elliptical
    is a steady standby!! OP don't give up on the elliptical.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options

That's the one I have. Great value considering the features and quality.

I don't know if there are any of those stores around here, I may have to look it up, and see.
    I went to a good exercise equipment store to find one that fit all my needs and wants. That way someone who is knowledgeable can make recommendations based on that. I bought mine 6.5 years ago and still use it on a regular basis. I have periods of time where I am bored with it, but I switch up my activities and its a great go-to when I can't do anything else.

That's actually a really good idea!
    Insane .. no one can 'outgrow' an elliptical!! There
    are days that are too hot or too cold. Climate might
    not be best outside for many things but an elliptical
    is a steady standby!! OP don't give up on the elliptical.

^.^ I most likely will. (stick with it not give up I mean.)