Am I being rude?

Options
Hi

So today is my brother's birthday and he wants to go have French Onion Soup since its his birthday but I really do not feel like having anything on the menu. Everything seems like 2,000 calories on up. I don't mind going and paying for his meal. Since its his birthday, but he knows I am on a diet. I feel like giving him the money for the meal and trying to make him go with his friends. I looked up the menu so I know how much it is. Yet, his friends are flaky and not really there for him when they should be.

What should I do?

Replies

• Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Go
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMMM French Onion soup. If it's covered in provolone and has a big crouton on top I'll go with him.
  • SoonToBeShreddedBrah
    Options
    Just go lol, it's only 1 day.... not gonna ruin your body.
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    I know how to make it better then any restaurant, plus I already made him homemade waffles not using any box.
  • gonnasee33
    gonnasee33 Posts: 163
    Options
    this falls in the same category I was in a couple weeks ago when my daughter made a huge batch of cupcakes.. You want to be nice but on the other hand you want to keep within your fitness goals.. I say go to the Bday party .. Have something on the healthier side OR if fhat really isnt an option just keep that in mind and put a bit more time into the next workout .. family is MUCH more important and besides we all need a "cheat" day every now and again.. Keeps us from plateauing out ..
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yeah one day to cheat a little would be fine but I cheated yesterday a lot with him. Thinking his friends would take him out today and for dinner. But he told me 2 hours ago he really wants to go with me to this French place.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I want a treat without way over-doing it:

Get what sounds good to you on the menu (or get the lightest option if you can pull up the menu on your phone). Ask for a box immediately. Box up half and enjoy half then.

Problem solved. You're there for your brother, you get a treat, you don't over-do it AND you have another meal for lunch or dinner later in the week. Win Win.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you have to go its your bro, im sure u can find a healthier option!
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're being rude.

It's your presence at his birthday that he wants, not you throwing money at it and running because you haven't accepted that life goes on even when you're on a diet.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Your "diet" is never going to be sustainable if you don't allow yourself to take part in life events like birthdays, holidays, celebrations, etc. This is your family you're talking about here. Take your brother out for his birthday, order something off the menu (or order something like plain grilled chicken) and enjoy yourself for one night. Your brother won't remember what you did or didn't eat, but he definitely won't forget that you weren't there.
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi

So today is my brother's birthday and he wants to go have French Onion Soup since its his birthday but I really do not feel like having anything on the menu. Everything seems like 2,000 calories on up. I don't mind going and paying for his meal. Since its his birthday, but he knows I am on a diet. I feel like giving him the money for the meal and trying to make him go with his friends. I looked up the menu so I know how much it is. Yet, his friends are flaky and not really there for him when they should be.

What should I do?

go...order something...& don't eat the entire & give the rest to starving homeless person. haha.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    1 day will not effect your body, it's also not possible to gain fat through one day of bad eating. Stop living life like a robot, you are a human being and setting yourself up for an eating disorder and a life of irritating people around you.
  • davidoflouisiana
    Options
    go and order a salad
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Your "diet" is never going to be sustainable if you don't allow yourself to take part in life events like birthdays, holidays, celebrations, etc. This is your family you're talking about here. Take your brother out for his birthday, order something off the menu (or order something like plain grilled chicken) and enjoy yourself for one night. Your brother won't remember what you did or didn't eat, but he definitely won't forget that you weren't there.

^^^Ditto
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Man, I want to go to a restaurant that only has 2000 calorie dishes on the menu. That must be AMAZING.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    go and order a salad
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You dont have to est the cheese and tell them to leav the bread or croutons out,thats what I do,or you can just order a chicken salad and still be with your brther for his birthday,Wish him Happy Birthday from me:smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    where there is soup there IS a frickin garden salad..go
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If he's going to Panera, GO! Damn, I love their french onion soup! Dip that bread and slosh it all around in the cheesy soup... cheese strings hanging from your mouth... mmmmmm.

C'mon. It's a special occasion.