Any 5"7-5"8 ladies losing on 1500 calories a day?

Options
Hi everyone,

Just curious for those of you 5"7 to 5"8 ladies, have you lost weight doing 1500 calories per day? I know everyone is different. I am trying to up my calories to 1500 to see if it makes my energy go up a bit - 1200 just feels way too low for me. I like to workout 4-5 times a week doing cardio and strength.

And by 1500 calories I mean eating back your exercise calories as well.

The only reason I am questioning to up my calories is I have had great sucess eating 1200 calories, it just leaves me feeling pretty darn hungry at the end of the day.

Just looking for some advice here!

Another question - when you are eating your 1500 calories, do you have, lets say, 3 500 calories meals, or smaller meals with lots of snacks, etc?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    5'7" here

Are you asking if we're netting 1500 or grossing?

Netting 1500 would be 1500+ exercise calories.

Grossing is eating 1500 calories regardless of exercise.

I net at least 1390 calories a day, sometimes grossing as much as 1900 depending on exercise.
  • jaygirl8628
    Options
    I mean netting 1500 cals! Thank you
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    5'9" and I can lose netting 1600. I would say give 1500 a chance, although you may want to work up to it.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I could also lose netting 1500 a day, but my deficit would be 390 instead of 500, so a little slower than 1lb per week. It would take longer, but it might also be healthier, I've been toying with the idea.
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I always eat at least 1500 a day, but I don't always net 1500 a day. Some days are more, some are less, you know how it goes. But I've consistently been losing at least a pound (sometimes two) a week. I would say give it a go for a few weeks and if you're not losing or even gaining, go down to 1400 or 1350. I agree, sometimes 1200 is just not enough!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I am. 1500 a day and i usually eat them back,
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and I eat around 1500 gross. I"m happy with the weight loss so far and I'm not often hungry at the end of the day.

I exercise 6 - 7 days a week (walking and running mostly), about 200 - 300 cal per session. I don't eat back my calories, just go for total of around 1500.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.75" and can lose a half pound a week by netting 2000 calories a day.
  • nads1012
    nads1012 Posts: 55
    Options

Another question - when you are eating your 1500 calories, do you have, lets say, 3 500 calories meals, or smaller meals with lots of snacks, etc?

Try 5x 300cals. Maybe have a protein shake as one of the meals.
    I managed that only for a week, but I wasn't adding cals on exercise days.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm 5ft8. I'm also doing keto, so that may be helping. My calories per meal vary, but mostly I go by this rule(for me). The majority of my calories are for breakfast, then the median for lunch and then I have a pretty light dinner. It works well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 7 weigh 173 I net 1360 calories to loose 1lb a week...3 meals a day...

I exercise 5-6x a week usually burning 250 per session and usually eat them back sometimes not sometimes I go over..but I have been steadily loosing about 1lb a week since July 15...
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 60 years old, and have maintained at 123 +/- a few pounds since losing 58 pounds in 2011. Net 1500 calories is where I set my calorie budget when I find myself at the high end of my maintenance range. I lose slowly, but so far reliably, on that many calories.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 135 and maintain around 2000 cal on workout days. I def think 1200 is too low for someone our height, and eventually it would have hindered your progress b/c you would not be giving your body enough fuel to sustain the changes you're making through exercise! Give it a month and see what happens!
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    5'7" (27 years old) and I have a net goal of 1550 calories/day (1lb/week) and I've been losing steadily on that for a few months now :) It's where I'm most comfortable eating wise and exercise, though I have the occasional binge days, lol! I net between 1300 and 1510. Moving to 1.5 lbs/week has become a bit unsustainable for me, but losing only .5/week is really hard too because I've gotten used to eating less XD.

And to answer the other question, I have 3 meals at roughly 400-500 calories each and then have snacks with the exercise calories :)

ETA: I've lost 40lbs so far since March and the majority of that time was in the 1lb/week goal, so I'd say it's working well for me :)
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    I also think 1200 is way too low for someone who is 5'7 or 5'8.

I am 5'7 and eat around 1500-1600 per day (sometimes more, sometimes less) total, even on exercise days. I have lost 7 pounds in 30 days! However, I know your body gets used to things sometimes so I think increasing your calories to about 1500 is a good idea, and maybe change up your workout routine too. It will make your body think and "remember" to burn fat again.

Also I eat throughout the day - breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack (sometimes). Never hungry! Feel great. It works.

Also, not sure what the composition of your calories is, but you can't out-exercise a bad diet... So make sure your calories are from good food - lean meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, good stuff for your body. Of course have a treat every once in awhile. :) But your body will run much better on healthy food.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7 (35yr old) and netting 1450-1500 a day (sometimes I hit more than that with special foods/treats). 1200 - 1300 is way too low for me. I have been losing 1/2 to 1 lbs. per week, and I had some plateaus in the beginning; I think it had to do with my portions before buying a food scale.

I have a lower calorie breakfast (200-250 cals), 500 cals lunch, 500+cals dinner and 100-150cals snacks.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1200 and less net, and I got really run down after six weeks, so I upped my calories to around 1500 net. So far I'm less cranky and run down but I won't be able to tell you the weight loss verdict until tomorrow (weigh-in day). I work out about 5 times a week and usually burn 500-600 calories a session.

Edit: I'm 5'7" by the way.
  • beastmodekittyx
    beastmodekittyx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    'supp, I lost a bunch of weight eating about 1300 cals a day ( plus exercising) I still loose on 1500 but not as much.
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    5'7" here eating around 2000 calories a day with no workouts. That is for a half pound lose a week but have been losing more.
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am; I'm set to net 1540 a day, and I eat most of my exercise calories back (if I'm hungry enough I'll eat them all, but if not I'll make sure I net over 1200 at the very least), and I've steadily lost around a pound a week. I'm 5'7.5".