Insanty or T25 for weight loss?

Options
Hi:) I am starting week 4 of T25 and so far have lost a few inches. No pounds; the scale goes up sometimes, then goes right back, but no decrease in poundage. I have heard wonderful things about Insanity==lots of success stories. I don't believe the results I see in the infomercials, though; I see lots of good light usage and most of the befores look fine; the afters seem altered, but I digress......Without hearing from beachbody coaches, I would love to hear your success stories regarding these two programs. If I've not lost pounds from T25 coming up on week 4, should I quit and do insanity instead? Being hypothyroid, it makes it uber difficult to lose weight in a normal amount of time. I track all of my foods on here and have made alot of improvements. Just feeling discouraged and wondering if I am wasting my time. Thank you for your time and for your feedback:)

Replies

• KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did 1 month of Insanity (but not the 2nd) and I just wrapped up the first phase of T25. For me, I didn't lose weight on Insanity, but I did lose 6 pounds on T25 Alpha. It's not so much about the workout, but about burning more calories than you eat. When I did Insanity I wasn't tracking my calories. Now I am, and the scale is moving consistently.

If you're not losing weight, then I would recalculate your TDEE (if you use that method) or buckle down on tracking calories, or make sure you know how many calories you are burning. Both programs are effective (in my experience), but the food is just as important.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If I was to put my money down on what program I think is better for fitness, weight loss, and inches loss..........I'd put it down on T25. Don't get me wrong, Insanity is great and also brutal.

When I get done with Insanity, I feel pretty beat up, but when I finish T25, I feel completely run over, beat up, mugged, stabbed, shot, and spit on............I feel a great sense of getting **** done with T25.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If I was to put my money down on what program I think is better for fitness, weight loss, and inches loss..........I'd put it down on T25. Don't get me wrong, Insanity is great and also brutal.

When I get done with Insanity, I feel pretty beat up, but when I finish T25, I feel completely run over, beat up, mugged, stabbed, shot, and spit on............I feel a great sense of getting **** done with T25.
    Jeremyw1977; I feel the same way; I modify a little to give myself a break, but pretty much stick with it and cannot wait till it's over. I am told that Beta is where 'the magic happens'; hoping this is true. I started week 4, Alpha today and would like some new moves. Thanks so much for your input:)
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    I did 1 month of Insanity (but not the 2nd) and I just wrapped up the first phase of T25. For me, I didn't lose weight on Insanity, but I did lose 6 pounds on T25 Alpha. It's not so much about the workout, but about burning more calories than you eat. When I did Insanity I wasn't tracking my calories. Now I am, and the scale is moving consistently.

If you're not losing weight, then I would recalculate your TDEE (if you use that method) or buckle down on tracking calories, or make sure you know how many calories you are burning. Both programs are effective (in my experience), but the food is just as important.
    Thanks, KAS0917:) I have trouble dropping weight, but have been losing inches; will have to go over my diet again, just in case. I do go over sugar sometimes, but it's from fruit and I add honey to my tea. Hoping that's not the case for not losing. And maybe I need to get back to spin class---haven't been able to get to the gym for a few weeks as the kids are home. I have been making sure to work out each day at home. I will get back to the gym when the kids go back to school; then, in addition to my T25, I will do spin a few times a week. Now I wonder......when t25 is done, what then? Maybe gamma? I would hate to start it all over again, LOL!!! But.....I love the idea of having a program mapped out for me. Regarding calories, I do burn more than I eat; each day I am under my calories. Maybe my body is just taking its time to respond.
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 3 of T25 and noticing the same thing, inches coming off but not pounds (I've lost 2). I can tell a difference in my body though, how my clothes fit and everything. I have more energy throug the day. And I'm loving that a 25 min workout kicks my butt. I have started Insanity a few times but have found it very hard to stick to and usually give up by the second week. It kills my calves and shins. I feel like I actually work harder on T25 and my body doesn't feel like it's being abused while I'm doing it. I vote to stick with T25, you've made it this far. From other's I've talked to they see a bigger drop during Beta. Good luck to you!
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 30 of Insanity and I've lost 3.5 inches off my waist and an inch from my hips. I've lost 12 pounds and now the scale isn't moving. I did take a day 1 pic and a day 27 pic and there are major changes! I've got them in my pics and you can truly see a difference. I can't wait to see day 63 results!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration of losing inches which is good, but not having the scale move as well. However, still great and at least you are getting results in some shape or form. If you didn't have any results at all then I would say change, but I would suggest sticking it out, seeing as though there are some changes be it inch wise only, so complete it and then you can do something different if you want to.

Good luck!!!
  • MissBenes
    Options

Thanks, KAS0917:) I have trouble dropping weight, but have been losing inches; will have to go over my diet again, just in case. I do go over sugar sometimes, but it's from fruit and I add honey to my tea. Hoping that's not the case for not losing. And maybe I need to get back to spin class---haven't been able to get to the gym for a few weeks as the kids are home. I have been making sure to work out each day at home. I will get back to the gym when the kids go back to school; then, in addition to my T25, I will do spin a few times a week. Now I wonder......when t25 is done, what then? Maybe gamma? I would hate to start it all over again, LOL!!! But.....I love the idea of having a program mapped out for me. Regarding calories, I do burn more than I eat; each day I am under my calories. Maybe my body is just taking its time to respond.

If you ask me, it's better to lose inches than weight. Then you know the workout has effect. Anyway, take into account that, as you exercise, you lose fat, but you also build muscles - so that might be the reason why the scale isn't moving. As I said, put your trust in the way your clothes fit and what you see in the mirror. Weight is such a relative thing.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Jeremyw1977; I feel the same way; I modify a little to give myself a break, but pretty much stick with it and cannot wait till it's over. I am told that Beta is where 'the magic happens'; hoping this is true. I started week 4, Alpha today and would like some new moves. Thanks so much for your input:)

Yes, Beta is where the magic happens, but Gamma is where the true pain begins..........assuming you got the additional Gamma workouts.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options

Yes, Beta is where the magic happens, but Gamma is where the true pain begins..........assuming you got the additional Gamma workouts.
    Hi:) Didn't get the Gamma workouts yet, but will definitely do so.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Don't be discouraged if the scale isn't going down. If you are losing inches and your weight is staying the same you are building muscle while burning fat.

You should really get your body fat % tested. Seeing numbers will help be a motivation. Basing your progress only on your body weight is missing half the picture. You can lose weight without even exercising if that is your only goal. Programs like t25 and insanity will completely change your body composition, its not just about weight loss. These programs will leave you toned, build muscle, and burn fat. Your weight on a scale doesn't take any of this into consideration.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    Don't be discouraged if the scale isn't going down. If you are losing inches and your weight is staying the same you are building muscle while burning fat.

You should really get your body fat % tested. Seeing numbers will help be a motivation. Basing your progress only on your body weight is missing half the picture. You can lose weight without even exercising if that is your only goal. Programs like t25 and insanity will completely change your body composition, its not just about weight loss. These programs will leave you toned, build muscle, and burn fat. Your weight on a scale doesn't take any of this into consideration.
    Thanks, Bobbystrongar:) How do I get my body fat % tested? Would my physician do this, or do I go elsewhere?
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm down 15 lbs and am on week 6 of Focus T25. Diet is CRUCIAL though, so you have to be sure you eat a high protein diet (I do 40/30/30 P/F/C).

Insanity was also good, but it is much harder to stick with because it's literally INSANE, IMO.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    I'm down 15 lbs and am on week 6 of Focus T25. Diet is CRUCIAL though, so you have to be sure you eat a high protein diet (I do 40/30/30 P/F/C).

Insanity was also good, but it is much harder to stick with because it's literally INSANE, IMO.
    Yes; learning every day that diet is the thing. I just have to figure out how much protein I should have, etc.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Inches lost and no weight would point towards muscle gain. I've heard people favour T25
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Yes; learning every day that diet is the thing. I just have to figure out how much protein I should have, etc.

I would aim for no less than 30% of your daily calories from protein. If the weight isn't coming off, up it to 35-40%.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. The most crucial component to weight (fat) loss is diet. Exercise improves your fitness and makes you look awesome...but the fat burn is really all about your diet.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did insanity---one day--Then I decided I'd go with T25. I did it 3 weeks consistently and saw body changes but not scale changes. I've taken a break from my indoor workouts and have just been running for the past two weeks...I've lost a little. I've also upped my protein intake. I've had some "life" kinda get in the way the last couple of weeks too though---trips to the hospital for family and my own birthday celebration and starting a new job...I'm at 45/25/30 C/F/P right now...Getting the protein up is important!!!!!
    I'm planning to go back to week 4 of T25 next week.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just started my 3rd week of Insanity and no weight loss, but inches around my waist, hips and arms. I am 8 weeks post-baby and almost into the pant size I was in before my pregnancy, maybe 3 more weeks and I will be there. My cardio is better and my upper body strength is getting there. I have to keep telling myself muscle weighs more than fat, so if I am loosing inches and gaining weight, my overall health is better. I am stronger and faster than before and love Insanity.
  • judywhi
    judywhi Posts: 18
    Options
    What is T25