a slow jogger too?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Really C25k was just all about endurance. Once your up to 3 - 4 miles, then you can do interval work and get your speed up.

Also you would be amazed at how slow I can run when I want to.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    running_zps5999ff1b.jpg

Yes. I completed w5d2 this morning. I feel like a olympic runner as im doing it but when i review my statistics I laugh. But I wont quit. I may be the slowest runner but at least im a runner :o)

Soooo true for me!!! I actually am responding to this post after "slow poking" my way through W4D3 :smile:
    I think I am going to repeat this "day" at least once before moving ahead to Week 5. I started C25K jogging @ 3.0, just increased a couple days ago to 3.2 and think I *might* be ready for 3.3. I only think this because I found myself speed-walking when I should've been jogging and have been trying to go up a notch (0.1) for the last 60 sec each day to push myself. I should also say that this is like my 4th attempt at C25K over the last 5 years. I know I have gotten "stuck" before on Weeks 5, 7 and 3 (??). I also did NOT know back then that it's perfectly FINE to repeat days or even weeks if you need to. Just because many people finish in 9 weeks does not mean everyone will.

Annnddd... I have come to accept the fact that if I only get this far (ever!) it's exponentially better than when I was literally sitting on the couch. Though still hoping to get to the point where I can run 1 mile without stopping (could not even do this in HS when on sports teams and required to! I always cheated the run and had to do walking intervals. And I was actually pretty thin back then.)

Good luck to all!
  • I am so slow! I tell myself that at least I am moving. I want to sign up for a 5k on October 26. Hoping that I can just do it without stopping-no time in mind.
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    This has been my motto during my C25K journey.

I+run.jpg

I have no shame that I run slow. At least I'm out there getting it done!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    This has been my motto during my C25K journey.

I+run.jpg

I have no shame that I run slow. At least I'm out there getting it done!

Absolutely love this!
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    I am a pathetically slow runner. I completed a 1/2 marathon one time and was passed by very old people as well as kids. I'm pretty sure a crawling infant could beat me as well. lol
  • I call what I do "wogging"!!! I have done eight 5K's and I will continue to do them - that's what's important - getting out there and doing it!!!! My first 5K a man in a wheelchair passed me and he was kind enough to help me with my form!!! Every time I want to quit wogging I think about this man's kindness and how HE is still out there...and I keep on wogging!!!!
  • :smile: :flowerforyou: :heart: I call what I do "wogging"!!! I have done eight 5K's and I will continue to do them - that's what's important - getting out there and doing it!!!! My first 5K a man in a wheelchair passed me and he was kind enough to help me with my form!!! Every time I want to quit wogging I think about this man's kindness and how HE is still out there...and I keep on wogging!!!!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    <<
    Raises her hands! I sooooooooo want to do the C25K, but living out in the country, my cell phone doesn't get service in areas where I would have to be jogging. Hoping to switch providers when my contract is finally up in January and hopefully can do it then. If not, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and shuffle around on my own. :happy:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I have no idea what I was averaging when I was still doing run/walk intervals. It wasn't fast.

When I got up to being able to run 5k without taking walk breaks, I was averaging 13 min miles. Not fast. This was June of 2012.

A little over a year later and I'm averaging 8:45 per mile for 5k. 10 min miles for a half marathon. Still not fast, but not that slow either.

So just keep at it and you will improve! Oh and the thing that made my 5k faster was not running faster, it was more miles - half marathon training.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    I so hear what you're saying. I walk faster than I can run. Seriously. As a super-speedy walker who is a very slow runner, I was given a piece of advice by a renowned trainer: "incline is speedwork in disguise". It seems to work for me. Maybe it will for you, too.
  • DSeay88
    DSeay88 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm so glad you posted this. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has to walk/jog... and slowly! I just started two weeks ago. I'm not doing the C25K. I just started walking/jogging on my own using Runkeeper. I've already seen some improvement, but I was also appalled at how difficult it was and still is. We just need to keep at it!
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for all the support. It is good to know I am not alone. Feel free to friend me.
    I completed my W4D1 and ran for a total 16 minutes. At my age 49 and overweight, my body amaxes me at what it can do.....in my case...s l o w l y.
  • _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    You know the difference between a 15 minute mile and a 8 minute mile? Nothing they're both a mile. It's all about forward momentum.
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    I started the C25k today. I thought I would DIE! I am slow, too. But I'm not giving up!:flowerforyou:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    You know the difference between a 15 minute mile and a 8 minute mile? Nothing they're both a mile. It's all about forward momentum.

LOVE this. Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • ShoeZilla
    ShoeZilla Posts: 21 Member
    I too trained using the C25K about 8 months ago. My husband an I run each weekend and participate in a 5k each month. We average 13-14 minute miles and both in our early 50's. I don't care if I ever get faster, I am now where I enjoy the run and even crave it. Some weekends we run farther so we are constantly challenging ourselves, but it's still slower and most and that's perfectly fine with us. Good luck to you and don't care about the speed.
  • barrygelston
    barrygelston Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, I have decided not to care. I figure that I am trying to get a good habit for the next 20 years, so I just enjoy a nice 3 mile walk everyday. I love my daily walk by myself. It is such a great time to clear my head out.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    <<
    Raises her hands! I sooooooooo want to do the C25K, but living out in the country, my cell phone doesn't get service in areas where I would have to be jogging. Hoping to switch providers when my contract is finally up in January and hopefully can do it then. If not, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and shuffle around on my own. :happy:

My program was a downloaded app but runs like music without a cell signal needed.
  • Dirtysmama31
    Dirtysmama31 Posts: 3 Member
    It took me 6 hrs 15 min to run my 1st marathon and I was embarrassed of how long it took me. A friend of mine said I don't know what is more impressive the fact that you ran a marathon or that you ran for 6 hrs 15 min. That really hit home for me! Slow or not you are still doing it and that is what counts :)