Too Fat for Fifteen

Options

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched this show because I think it's wrong, but I just wanted to say, that it's sick that the parents AND this "school" are exploiting these children in this way, all for 15mins of fame and a few bucks. It's obvious to me these parents do not care about their child's health and mental well being or they would have tried every way possible to get them out of the situation they are in without having to cause them mental anguish of having this televised to millions of people. How is that child going to feel when they are in their adult years and someone sees them and says that they saw them on a show called Too Fat for Fifteen?
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. These fat kids are freaks. And it is there parents fault. The only way to address the issue is to claim it as an issue and deal with it directly. No sugar coating or eggshell walking. A child should not be that fat at that age. An adult shouldn't be that fat. The 17 year old girl had a starting weight of over 500lbs! That means she weighs more than 70% of professional football players. Her parents have turned her into a freak by not taking care of her. If the term 'child abuse' hurts someones ittby bitty feewings than I will call it 'child NEGLECT.' These children did not get this way overnight and their parents watched them grow bigger and bigger and did not make a move to fix it. Scotty's mom took him to a freaking buffet! A BUFFET! And lets not forget she took the easy way out and got gastric by pass, and so did his father. So they are not even setting an example and working out with him to help him. It is abuse. If you have kids and you are not enforcing healthy eating habits you are abusing/neglecting your child's basic needs and shame on you!

"These fat kids are freaks." Do you have kids?
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    If my kids don't go to school I am held responsible, If my kids don't eat and are filthy I am held responsible, If my child is underweight the schools won't hesitate to counsel you or report you to child services.. now why if a child is beyond overweight the parents aren't responsible? Something is wrong with that picture.
    I totally agree with this, My kids all three had my high metabolism, like i said before i was 90lbs all through high school and dropped my pregnant weight in the hospital, I struggled to gain weight during my pregnancies. I don't know how many times i had to deal with dfs coming to my house when my kids were little because someone at school or elsewhere felt i wasn't feeding my kids. Once i took my youngest to the ER because he had a 105 temp that was climbing and the doctor said oh i have to check him for malnutrition, I was like whatever call his pediatrician. The doctor later came back with the results and said oh i'm sorry but we had to check, I told him then i would much rather have my kids under weight that over weight, but let me guess how many overweight kids come in here and you don't do a dang thing! Yeah there are more over weight kids and i feel they are the ones that should be under the microscope!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    These fat kids are freaks.

And I'm sure you, sir, are absolutely perfect.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If my kids don't go to school I am held responsible, If my kids don't eat and are filthy I am held responsible, If my child is underweight the schools won't hesitate to counsel you or report you to child services.. now why if a child is beyond overweight the parents aren't responsible? Something is wrong with that picture.

Yes, something definitely wrong with that picture.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    You are absolutely right. These fat kids are freaks. And it is there parents fault. The only way to address the issue is to claim it as an issue and deal with it directly. No sugar coating or eggshell walking. A child should not be that fat at that age. An adult shouldn't be that fat. The 17 year old girl had a starting weight of over 500lbs! That means she weighs more than 70% of professional football players. Her parents have turned her into a freak by not taking care of her. If the term 'child abuse' hurts someones ittby bitty feewings than I will call it 'child NEGLECT.' These children did not get this way overnight and their parents watched them grow bigger and bigger and did not make a move to fix it. Scotty's mom took him to a freaking buffet! A BUFFET! And lets not forget she took the easy way out and got gastric by pass, and so did his father. So they are not even setting an example and working out with him to help him. It is abuse. If you have kids and you are not enforcing healthy eating habits you are abusing/neglecting your child's basic needs and shame on you!

I do have kids. And yes these kids are freaks and IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT! It is the fault of the PARENTS! The parents sat and watched these kids grow into this massive freakish size and did nothing about it at all! NOTHING! These parents are cruel and neglectful of their children's state of health and it is criminal to not provide the guidance and PARENTING that is part of the job of raising children. My kids eat healthy because I dont have bad food in the house. Don't go complaining about my 5 year old will only eat (insert crappy food here)! The kid is 5 and the parent is the adult. Who is the boss?
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ... who can stick to 10 grams of fat per day....
    I did. For several months, actually. Really, it's not that hard to do. To this day I rarely hit the fat mark I have set now.

My father has been under 10 grams of fat a day for almost ten years.
  • exercisesucks
    Options

I am far from perfect. But my children are at a healthy weight, know what fruit and vegetables are and prefer healthy food, to junk food, because their parents actually parent them. We educate them on what the difference is between a protein and a carb. They know what saturated fat is and they...GASP...read the labels on the foods they eat. Nobody is perfect but my kids are not obese because I wont let them be.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I am far from perfect. But my children are at a healthy weight, know what fruit and vegetables are and prefer healthy food, to junk food, because their parents actually parent them. We educate them on what the difference is between a protein and a carb. They know what saturated fat is and they...GASP...read the labels on the foods they eat. Nobody is perfect but my kids are not obese because I wont let them be.

I like how your being upfront because i am an upfront person as well. Not many people can take the truth they want their hands held all the time and pats on the back for simple accomplishments. I as well will not allow my kids to be fat nor do they want to be fat. It's all about balance physical activity and eating right. My kids are beyond ripped muscle wise and have minimal fat percentage. It's disgusting to see such young kids being so overweight. It isn't healthy! Everyone knocks smokers all the time because of health issues. But being overweight causes many more health issues and they aren't being targeted.

Type 2 Diabetes is rampid and it's actually the Diabetes that is self inflicted through bad food choices and weight. Kids these days are getting diagnosised with Type 2 Diabetes at such young ages. There is no excuse for it. Parents need to step up to the plate and stop being so lazy.
    Gaining weight is pure laziness a small % comes from a health condition.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I do have kids. And yes these kids are freaks and IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT! It is the fault of the PARENTS! The parents sat and watched these kids grow into this massive freakish size and did nothing about it at all! NOTHING! These parents are cruel and neglectful of their children's state of health and it is criminal to not provide the guidance and PARENTING that is part of the job of raising children. My kids eat healthy because I dont have bad food in the house. Don't go complaining about my 5 year old will only eat (insert crappy food here)! The kid is 5 and the parent is the adult. Who is the boss?

So if your kids did just happen to have a weight problem, (I know you said they don't, and that's great, but suppose for a second they did) you'd be okay with some adult calling them freaks, and commenting on their "massive freakish size"?

I don't know, maybe it's just me...I was fat at 15, and if someone called me "massively freakish in size", it'd have killed me to hear that. "Like "I know I'm fat, I don't need someone pointing out I'm a 'fat freak'."

Insulting doesn't help, just like sugarcoating doesn't. Sensitivity helps. Helping helps.

People pointed out my whole life that I was fat...made all kinds of insulting comments like you made. Do you think that motivated me to go out and get fit? No, it made me hide from everyone and eat.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

An overweight person is now referred to on MFP as a freak? How very motivatving...:huh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Going to take a giant leap here, but have a feeling you were an overweight child yourself from the sounds of it....
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

I was just wondering if you had kids because you called them "freaks". Horrible way to speak of children no matter what the circumstance.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I was just wondering if you had kids because you called them "freaks". Horrible way to speak of children no matter what the circumstance.
    ditto:drinker:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I seriously hope that your kids do not touch junk food outside of the house and develope a weight problem, because if you call them a freak, be prepared for the problem to get MUCH worse. Trust me, my dad beleived in tough love. He called me fat when I was chubby, and then I felt like crap about myself and ate more...you have to have a more positive approach with childern. Its fine to say whatever on here, I just hope you dont make them feel bad about themselves.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I seriously hope that your kids do not touch junk food outside of the house and develope a weight problem, because if you call them a freak, be prepared for the problem to get MUCH worse. Trust me, my dad beleived in tough love. He called me fat when I was chubby, and then I felt like crap about myself and ate more...you have to have a more positive approach with childern. Its fine to say whatever on here, I just hope you dont make them feel bad about themselves.

And By the way, you are BLIND if you think ur kids prefer healthy food over junk...lets be realistic here!
  • exercisesucks
    Options

So if your kids did just happen to have a weight problem, (I know you said they don't, and that's great, but suppose for a second they did) you'd be okay with some adult calling them freaks, and commenting on their "massive freakish size"?

I don't know, maybe it's just me...I was fat at 15, and if someone called me "massively freakish in size", it'd have killed me to hear that. "Like "I know I'm fat, I don't need someone pointing out I'm a 'fat freak'."

Insulting doesn't help, just like sugarcoating doesn't. Sensitivity helps. Helping helps.

People pointed out my whole life that I was fat...made all kinds of insulting comments like you made. Do you think that motivated me to go out and get fit? No, it made me hide from everyone and eat.

No one is chasing these kids around with pitch forks calling them freaks. A child at that age who is over 200lbs is freakishly large. The medical community came up with the terms obese and morbidly(freakishly) obese because fat was not an effective enough descriptor. I am not saying lets demean these kids and call them names. I am stating a fact. FACT: These children are morbidly(freakishly) obese. The sooner people stop tip-toeing around the facts and address the problem, the sooner work can be done to fix it.

And if my child was obese and someone called them a freak then it would be me, who would be responsible for my child's pain and indignity because i did not do the job of parenting I should have to ensure that I fed my child healthy nutritious food and not let them overindulge.
  • exercisesucks
    Options

Going to take a giant leap here, but have a feeling you were an overweight child yourself from the sounds of it....

I was not an overweight child. I was an athlete. What I saw as a child was my grandmother get her leg cut off and go blind and die from type 2 (the preventable one) diabetes. I also saw 2 of my favorite cousins die from diabetes and my favorite unvle die of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented by proper diet and exercise. Children are getting tupe 2 diabetes at an alarming rate. We freak out when a parent smokes a cigarette with their children in the car but no on says a peep when a parent feeds their kids nitrate ridden(carcinogen...look it up) hot dogs, and trans fat loaded chicken fingers and fries. We just give up and say (que whiny voice) my 5 year old will only eat the mac and cheese and hot dogs and happy meals and candy. People are more cautious about the food they purchase for their pets than they are their own children. Everyone needs to come to grips with the fact that it is a PARENTS responsibility to clothe, shelter, nurture, and feed healthy food to their children. If you don't the fault lies with you if your child grows up being morbidly(freakishly) obese. And all the pain and suffering they receive in school from bullies and their ilk is ON YOU!

Oh yeah, the legal term for a 15 year old is MINOR! A parent that gives a child alcohol can be charged with child endangerment. An adult not the parent that gives a 15 year old alcohol can be charged with CONTRIBUTING TO THE DELINQUENCY OF A MINOR! Being 15 does not make you more responsible. It just means your parents are STILL responsible for your actions for 3 more years.
  • exercisesucks
    Options

And By the way, you are BLIND if you think ur kids prefer healthy food over junk...lets be realistic here!

Please read my post before commenting. I did not call any child directly a freak. There weight problems have made them morbidly (freakishly) obese. No one is saying chase kids around and call them names. I never call my children names. I let them know the realities of unhealthy eating and teach them how to make healthy choices. Also on Sundays our family has a cheat day where we are allowed to eat some junk food in moderation. My children are no weak, whiny, sniveling people who need to be rubbed on the head every time they are faced with unpleasant situations. Being a good parent means knowing when to have a positive approach and when to give them tough love. If all a parent does is blow smoke about rainbows and happy feelings they are doing their children a huge disservice. Because the real world will eat them alive. And yes my children do prefer healthy food because that is what they have been raised on. They also have been show and taught the effects of unhealthy eating and they see them first hand at school. They have encouraged their peers with love to eat healthier and exercise. Being realistic means taking responsibility of your role as a parent and properly preparing your children to thrive in the real world.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i just wanted to make one comment...about children prefering healthy food. I was raised on healthy food, I never even had a piece of candy until I was five years old. I looked at a kid at my preschool eating twinkies and said to them, "Ugh, how can you eat that? Do you want some of my carrots?" nobody prompted me to say it, it was my own original thought that whatever that "thing" was they were eating, it didn't look good, or like a food source to me. I was twenty years old before I ever had my first taste of koolaid. I was always a healthy weight, due to my parents feeding me a nutritious diet and making sure I stayed involved in active extracurricular pastimes.

Children learn to like and crave what they are taught is good food. See videos of children in asia happily gobbling down insects, frogs, you name it. We have socialized children in america (western cultures, I should include) to develop a taste for high fat, high sugar foods. That is not a naturally occurring condition, it's a learned behavior. And any person can learn new behaviors.

The idea that children need to have access to junk food, or that they can't develop tastes for healthy food, is just not true.