Aargh!! The dreaded video camera......... =(

Options
OK, so I work at a place where we have video surveillance and every once in a while I’ll look at myself on camera (as verses of Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain” play in my head, lol lol). I finally hit 20 lbs lost last week and was totally stoked to be down this much and was feeling great about it, until today, when I got to work and looked at myself in the footage. I know it’s only 20 lbs down, but I had been feeling so great before I looked at the video, that it just kind of took the wind out of my sails, if you know what I mean………I guess in my mind, I felt like I looked a lot smaller since people were noticing my loss (on their own, lol, with no prodding from me) and commenting on it, but then WHAMMO! I see that video and it’s like, holy crap, I still have so far to go and it gets really discouraging……..I know this won’t make me quit, since I do still have sooo far to go, but I can’t help but obsess over it a teensy bit……Any advice on how to forget the fattie on camera and keep going??

Replies

• Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No advice but I empathize with you! I thought I was looking good one day lost 21 lbs feeling good about me so I wear my bikini to the beach thinking "I can pull this off" UNTIL I saw the video!!!!!! OMG!!!!! I hate those things!!! I was funky for a couple days, if anything it motivated me to keep at it and not let peoples thoughts good or bad sway me either way I have a goal in my mind and won't stop till I 'see' that I am where I want to be:wink:

Keep at it! :drinker:
  • hammycat86
    Options
    OMG I'm not even to the 20 lb mark yet! You have to look at your accomplishment and be proud of that and let it motivate you. That is one thing I'm learning is trying to celebrate the small accomplishments instead of wanting instant results. We are our own worst critics, but if people are noticing, that you're on the right track! Don't look at the footage for a while!! :)
    Congrats on your 20 lbs lost and keep up the good work! You'll get there!
  • katschy
    Options
    Remind yourself of what you looked like before - that though you're not yet happy with how you look "on camera" (or in the mirror), you have come far and you are not yet finished. You're a beautiful work in progress!

I duck cameras routinely because I don't like being reminded of how fat I am. But I want to be able to have something to compare to, so I've taken "before" photos of myself (privately) and I plan to take "during" and "after" photos when I reach certain milestones. Other than that, I don't want to spend too much time looking at myself - as hammycat86 says, we are all our own worst critics. ;)

What's most important is that you FEEL good, and that you KNOW you're doing well; the rest will come in time :)
  • tiptoe6
    tiptoe6 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We all have different goals, but the same feelings. Before MFP, I had reached a weight I had never reached before. I didn't even realize how much I'd gained until I started losing. Ten pounds came off, I felt great, but the pictures still made my eyes pop out of my head. Then, another ten came off. After a 20 lb loss, I still know that I have a bit to go, but I still pat myself on the back for this milestone. It's been rough! However, worth the ride! I would just ignore that footage b/c you've lost quite a bit already and are on your way. Don't let it discourage you! You've come so far and 20 lbs is hella hard to lose. Just close your eyes, stay on auto pilot and do it! You'll definitely get there, and then you'll feel like a superstar in front of that camera ;)
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    well if other people are noticing it, then you will too if you compare pictures. I compared pictures of me from two weekends ago and pics taken in Feb and June...umm WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I didn't think so until after I saw the comparison pictures. I was SO surprised! :) YOU Can do this and you WILL do this! :) ALSO remember the camera adds at least 5lbs :)

Just tell yourself by this time next year I will look into that camera and not feel like I am seeing a "fatty" as you called it. :)

Keep going, you are doing great! :)
  • bevsalter
    bevsalter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just let the video be a constant reminder that you still have a ways to go. Set small goals and when you achieve them set some more small goals and before you know it you will have taken off all the pounds that you intended . If you slip it is ok just jump back on track and pick up where you left off.We can do this together.:happy:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do what I do, use it as a motivational tool! I knew that I had been putting on weight over the last couple of years, but I hadn't realized how bad I looked until I saw a picture of myself in a bathing suit. I made up my mind then and there that I was going to get back in shape. I lost about 30 pounds before I joined MFP, and every time that I felt myself getting weak or being too lazy to work out, I look at that picture. That always gets me motivated to keep going. Turn that negative into a positive. Don't dwell on the video. If both you and others around you have noticed a difference for the better, then that's what counts. Keep up the good work!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner producer and there are a few things about video cameras and how they make a person look that you need to know:

1) A security camera is going to use a wide angle or even a fish-eye lens in order to cover as large an area as possible. Wide angle lenses sometimes change proportions or distort objects because of they way they are made.

2) Video is 2-Dimensional. That means depth and curves on a person's body are flattened out. This isn't flattering at all. Professional videographers and photographers use special lighting setups to create shadows, depth, and contrast just to make human beings look 'normal.'

3) Security cameras are placed at an angle that is meant to give a good vantage point, not flatter the subject.

So when you look at yourself on security video footage, know that it's only a version of reality, an unflattering one and not necessarily what others see when they look at you.

You ARE changing! You ARE different than you were you when you started. Other people do see it! Don't be discouraged.
  • jackflash007
    Options
    Thank you everybody for all your kind words. It really helps to know I"m not alone in this and that other people have gone through the exact same thing. Alioth, I really appreciate your breakdown of the security camera ins and outs.......I would have never thought of it that way; that actually makes me feel so much better. And I think I'll take the advice of not looking at the video anymore, at least for a while. Thanx so much you guys, I really needed that. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: