Is it normal to be really hungry after working out?

Options
After working out, I get really, really hungry. Is it normal? Should I eat? Any suggestions on what I should eat?

Replies

• Mavickdamonster
    Mavickdamonster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me It is, and You should have Protein and a Complex Carb, SO I would eat something your body could use like Chicken Breast and a Sweet Potato
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    After you workout within 45 minutes is the best time to eat because your body needs to refuel and use proteins to repair muscle. I was told that by a nutritionist/personal trainer.
  • jewel22887
    Options
    Yes it is normal. Eat food. Congrats on working out :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get hungry after strength training, but not after a moderate cardio session.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not hungry immediately, but within an hour or so, especially if it was a long or hard workout. And yes, eat protein in particular. If you don't refuel, you risk a binge later. Learn to listen to the REAL hunger symptoms (not boredom, not habit, real hunger).
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely!

When are you working out? I ask since you asked if you "should" eat.

I always have some protein within 15-45 minutes. If its mealtime, then absolutely a good meal with lots of protein and some veggies. Sweet potato & chicken suggestion is perfect! And tons of water! Hydrate!

If its not mealtime, but I need the fuel, I may have a protein bar or protein drink.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    After you workout within 45 minutes is the best time to eat because your body needs to refuel and use proteins to repair muscle. I was told that by a nutritionist/personal trainer.

Broscience. FYI.
  • RedheadedSlattern
    Options
    Weirdly I find my appetite is reduced after I've exercised. However, the day *after* weights?? Er yer I'll eat anything and everything if you put it in front of me.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options

Broscience. FYI.

Nope.
    http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TFPostProtein.html

It has its place.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry after exercising. I think most people do. Sometimes I d nt eat but most of the time I give in and end up eating something
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I seem to have something of an inverted condition. No matter what I do, I don't really feel hungry after working out. Thirsty, yes. But not hungry. It's not that I can't eat. Often, I do eat shortly afterwards because of my schedule. But my friends seem to think I'm crazy for being able to work out for an hour and not eat absolutely everything in sight afterwards.

This morning, for example, I did a cardio workout that involved a quarter mile warm up walk, then two miles of pushing myself hard for a minute and walking for a minute (23 minutes for that part, today), followed by a quarter mile cool down walk. I finished that workout two hours ago. But all I've consumed in the intervening time is a Gatorade recovery shake and a 20oz bottle of water. While I'm about to go grab my "breakfast", it's not because I feel like I'm starving.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Broscience. FYI.

Nope.

It has its place.

According to this guy...John Hussman Ph. D who himself says (quote from his own site)

I'm not a self-proclaimed "expert" or a "fitness guru"..it is one econmists opinion....and yes that's what his Ph D is in..economy.

to the OP if you are hungry eat...just stay within your calorie/macro goals.

I personally am typically not hungry after my workout...that could change tho when I start lifting.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are lifting/strength training, you should have a high protein meal shortly after. If that is not possible, a protein bar can suffice.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Cardio seems to make me not hungry at all, but when I do weights, OMG I can't stop eating the next day. Having high protein foods seems to help- eggs, meat, beans, etc.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Broscience. FYI.

Nope.

It has its place.

12 weeks, 13 participants. Is it science, or reality tv? :-)
  • gargoylekitty
    Options
    I'm almost always hungry after a workout* and typically take some fruit or a protein bar with me when I go to the gym/PT/a race to munch on while driving home.

* depends on what you define as a workout though. Like, running 2 miles won't make me hungry, but 6 or more will tend to do it. 15 minutes of just about anything won't make me hungry, but 40+ will.
  • Telcontar97
    Telcontar97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I was going to ask the exact opposite...
    I'm almost never hungry after exercise, but I do try to eat of course, I know my body needs it.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - weight lifting I am STARVING...cardio not so much. I always have a protein shake after my workout and an Aussie Bite :)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    usually after my workouts I'm hungry, except on my long run days... 8+ miles and I'm usually not very interested in eating. Gatorade or Nuun and a banana after that and I'm good for a while. Start with water first, it could be that you just need water, but if it's been a couple hours, and you've replenished fluids then by all means eat. Just make sure that you're not over-eating (super easy to do when you're training hard, espeically heavy weights or endurance)
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    After lifting I get absolutely ravenous...