Do I have to lose a limb?

Options
Gah Leeee, Do i have to lose a limb to lose weight!? Im frustrated! I need to know with a proper diet and exercise, what is the appropriate amount of weight one "should" lose in a weeks time? Last week I was at a booming 5 pounds down! This week I changed absolutely nothing and only loss ONE freaking pound!! I need helpppppp!

Replies

• marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Alright, settle down. I know you are trying to get ready for your wedding, But getting upset is not going to help you. As a matter of fact, it might hurt. You dropped 5 the first week because it was the first week and most likely, it was water weight. Everything is still ok, just keep watching what you eat and burn those calories. I don't know about you but I some time eat more when I'm upset so take it easy and get back in that positive mode. We (your mfp friends) are all here with you. :heart:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As above, that 5lb was likely a good amount of water weight. 1lb a week is perfect.

I also sometimes think that people get hung up on "1lb a week" or "2lbs a week" and forget the bigger picture.

If a month from now you're lost 5lbs, you weigh 5lbs less. That's great. It's progress, it's a LOT of progress.

Rome, as they frequently say, wasn't built in a day.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Rome, as they frequently say, wasn't built in a day.

One of my very favorite weight loss quotes.
    It took years for me to reach my peak weight, it may take me years to get back down to a normal weight. Slow and steady is the key, albiet sometimes it is more slow than steady.

Stick with it and keep trucking on.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    The first week or two it's nearly always water weight so it's normal for a big loss but then it slows down, dramatically in certain cases. Don't rush it, one can only lose so much and just the same way you gained the weight over a certain period of time and most likely not steadily, it's that way too to lose it. A pound per week is usually good progress afterwards.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I lost 3.5 lbs the first week (I'm only trying to lose 15 lbs, so that was huge for me) then the next week I lost, like 0.5 lbs. It's normal, hang in there girl! :-)
  • percypat
    percypat Posts: 26
    Options
    A pound a week is my DREAM! Granted I don't have much to lose, but when you get to this point you have to fight for every single bit.

Keep doing what you're doing. A pound a week is a sensible, healthy rate of loss.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is right on. Sometimes you may lose more, sometimes you may lose less or even see the scale go up. Weight losses not linear.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Generally the first week will show a more impressive loss due to the body letting go of water. 1 lb a week is a great loss and sustainable for most people with more than 20 lbs to lose. You're doing great. Just try to relax and not freak out too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Gah Leeee, Do i have to lose a limb to lose weight!? Im frustrated! I need to know with a proper diet and exercise, what is the appropriate amount of weight one "should" lose in a weeks time? Last week I was at a booming 5 pounds down! This week I changed absolutely nothing and only loss ONE freaking pound!! I need helpppppp!

so 6lb in 2 weeks is bad?!

ok then....