PCOs & Weightloss & Getting Fit

Options
So I've been eating clean and working out for almost two years now. I feel like I have not made that much progress, considering how long I've been going on. I was diagnosed with "possible PCOs" a few months back, and I'm starting to think that maybe that is why I have such a HARD time losing weight.

Does anyone here struggle with PCOs and weight loss? Any particular diets help? Low carb, dairy free, gluten free, etc?
So far I have eaten a well balanced diet of all food groups, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I workout hard, lift weights, do cardio, etc. I eat right, have a little moderation, I try to eat enough calories..all that.

AHG. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING.

Replies

• penutbuttercups01
    Options
    Hey There,

I too got diagnosed with possible PCOS, awaiting to go to a gyno for further inspection. This year alone i regained 10 kgs of what i had lost last year, and that is being consistent and super clean with my diet and training.

I am not too sure of the issues i am having and so far I have gone from different aspects of clean eating and haven't settled on a particular one as of yet, I can understand your frustration...

You could try going Paleo this seems to help alot of people, it is gluten free, lactose free and super clean.

That may be worth a shot...

I am still tryaling different things maybe this week I will make some sort of progress because it's not a good feeling when you know you work so hard and well you get no results.
  • iwanttheburn
    Options
    I think the reason my doctor (AND maybe YOURS is having the same issue) is questioning whether or not I have it is because I do not display all the symptoms. She had told me that to diagnose someone they must have 2/3 major symptoms, and because I'm only 18, I need all 3 symptoms.

Thing is, I have been eating clean and working out..doing all the things they tell you to do...BEFORE I EVER GOT CHECKED OUT. So, I'm thinking that my lifestyle has prevented the nightmare symptoms I hear about...and thus the doctor does not see them...making her believe, that I do not have PCOs.

However, I do remember having all these symptoms at the same time back in 2010 and 2011. I was miserable and didn't want to leave the house!

I had light to nonexistent periods, uncontrollable acne, my hair got thin, I gained a ton of weight (with no diet change), and I saw belly hairs for the first time in my life. These things make me believe that I have PCOs. God forbid I do, but at the moment it just looks like the truth. I don't understand why the density of my hair has changed so much..and stayed that way. I'm trying to figure out WHY..and so I'm looking into PCOs again. It seems like the only thing..that makes everything add up, if you know what I mean.

I no longer struggle with any of the symptoms, other than the light/barely there periods, hair still thin, and slow weight loss. I'm currently on BC because the doctor is being cautious about me maybe having it.

Good luck when you go back to the doc. I hope they can sort you out. D:

I'm super tempted to try Paleo, actually. I hate the idea of no longer having my greek yogurt..but man, I think it may be worth it. It's so true! I feel like my body is cheating me. I see people's progress pictures on tumblr..and they have AMAZING RESULTS..after such a short amount of time. I just thought my body was slower than that..but man. It's been almost 2 years and I was never really overweight to begin with..I've just been trying to lean out and build muscle..:/
  • lilly123ish
    lilly123ish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked if you hadn't already. I had symptoms of pcos and had no idea I had an underlying thyroid condition. It could be due to insulin resistance also so watch food and drink that releases sugar quickly into the blood stream.

Good luck. Xx
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS and have lost over 180 pounds...I dont do any special diet apart from count calories and i try and have one grain free meal per day. Also generally as a rule most people wont have ALL of the sympoms of PCOS...its very different for everybody.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked if you hadn't already. I had symptoms of pcos and had no idea I had an underlying thyroid condition. It could be due to insulin resistance also so watch food and drink that releases sugar quickly into the blood stream.

Good luck. Xx

Mirroring this but not only get your thyroid tested, get your actual insulin levels tested. I have insulin resistance and my thyroid was messed up, it makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. I only started to lose once I was was on metformin and synthroid.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago. It makes everything difficult, and I used to get so mad because I would try and try to lose weight and nothing would budge. Doctor said even though my blood sugar is in order and I don't have diabetes my body isn't using the sugars I eat to properly run my reproductive system. (I don't have periods on my own without medication.)

So I researched and discovered a ketogenic diet. (and by researched I mean a friend told me about it and then I researched the crap out of it before I started it for myself.) I use fat for energy and running my systems instead of carbohydrates and sugar. I have had a regular period without medication since I switched to this diet and I have dropped 17 lbs. That is without exercise. I'm trying to incorporate as much as I can (walking more often, parking farther away from places, etc. etc.) but my body isn't ready for anything more than that yet. So, there's my take on weight loss and PCOS. I'm doing it. I also don't have a gall bladder and I'm still moving along just fine.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating clean and working out for almost two years now. I feel like I have not made that much progress, considering how long I've been going on. I was diagnosed with "possible PCOs" a few months back, and I'm starting to think that maybe that is why I have such a HARD time losing weight.

Does anyone here struggle with PCOs and weight loss? Any particular diets help? Low carb, dairy free, gluten free, etc?
    So far I have eaten a well balanced diet of all food groups, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I workout hard, lift weights, do cardio, etc. I eat right, have a little moderation, I try to eat enough calories..all that.

AHG. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING.

I was diagnosed 5.5 years ago. I was told for the first 5 years of that to count calories and exercise. Some PCOS women find success with that. I gained 60 lbs over that 5 years. I finally found out from a nurse practitioner who had PCOS as well that low carb helps lose weight and control symptoms. I started out with a low glycemic diet ( http://www.livestrong.com/article/226671-pcos-low-glycemic-diet/ ). I lost a bit of weight but overall I just felt so much better! My symptoms were reduced amazingly! After the first 10 lbs or so though it lost its effectiveness for me. I started to do more research and found out that a very low carb diet ( http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf ) might be what I needed. I have been on the keto diet for about 3 weeks now and I can tell you that I feel amazing compared to what I did before! The most important thing to remember is to find what works for you. If low GI works, stick with that. If you go for a keto diet check out http://www.reddit.com/r/keto and http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo for more information and support!

PCOS presents itself differently in every woman! This is partially why it is so frustrating. But the basic chemistry is the same for everyone. This post I found/made helps to explain more about how the system works: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1067728-pcos-vs-normal.

I hope that you can start feeling better soon!
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago and I was actually happy just to have a diagnosis. I would go without a period for awhile and then I would have one for 3 months non-stop. My OB/GYN did a D&C to see if I had tissue build up but she said it wasn't too bad. From there she diagnosed me with PCOS and with Simple Hyplasia (without signs of cancer cells). I have been on MFP since January 2013. I have lost 25 lbs (then gained 15 back) and now back to lose the rest. I got frustrated with the slow progress but now realize progress is progress. I would say counting calories did work for me but I also need to count my carbs. I am currently limiting myself to 120-130 net carbs or less a day. I tried to go extreme low carb and it just made me moody and I quit. Also exercise is a HUGE thing. I really have to exercise to see results.

I do have most of the symptoms but mostly the hair growth, thinning hair, whacked out periods and PMS pain. I also take Metformin and birth control pills to help even me out.

Please add me if you like. My diary is open.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. Definitely see your doctor about your symptoms, as it does sound like something isn't quite right with your hormones.

I'm not on any medication for PCOS or the IR. I tried Metformin but couldn't tolerate it in any form. I've been eating a mostly paleo low-carb diet for the past year or so, and that has helped me greatly with controlling my blood sugar and avoiding foods I am sensitive to (gluten and dairy, mainly). When I started with low carb paleo, I was eating 50g carbs or less each day, but as I've lost weight and my insulin sensitivity has improved, I've been able to up that....so now I eat around 100-150g/day. I still find it's best for me to be really careful where those carbs come from--fruits and veggies are ok carbs for me, so that's what I stick to.

I think just as important as the dietary changes is that I work out 5-6 times per week pretty hard. I mainly lift weights, but I also train with kettlebells, and once in a while I do a bit of metabolic conditioning type stuff. I also have started walking EVERYWHERE.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Also in the PCOS squad. No meds.

I agree with lifting weights & seeing a doctor (better still, an endocrinologist), and I've lost all of my initial weight (I'd still like to lose about 30lbs more) using just a simple calorie deficit and following low GI principles. I basically get my carbs from whole- or minimally processed grains, like quinoa, oats and rice (brown or long-grain, but usually just brown - wild rice is very good if you can find it), beans, lentils and sweet potato. I eat baby/new potatoes on occasion, too.

However, if you consume your carbs with a source of protein and fat, it changes the overall glycaemic load. So, for example, white rice and beans has a lower GI than plain white rice. White rice and beans with a bit of avocado and a chicken breast has a lower GI still.

This means you don't have to necessarily eat low carb if you enjoy your carbs, just change your sources and find what works best for you.

(air-popped popcorn with a light spray of butter, tossed in cinnamon is a delightful low-GI snack)
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vickiandrews
    vickiandrews Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about three months before I was getting married and to say that I was a little upset is a HUGE understatement. For me it turned out that it was a "newly discovered" side effect of the medication that I'd been taking to control my epilepsy, leading to my consultant to conclude that I should never have been put on them and needed to come off immediately!!! Not good news considering I'd been taking them for nearly 10 years.

He did also suggest that it could have been aggrivated by the contraceptive I was on at the time (I used to have the injection, but can't for the life of me remember what its called!)

I'd definately take a look at any medication you're on and look into any "new" possible side effects.

Anyway to cut a long story short we have now been blessed with a lovely daughter and everything has sorted itself out.
  • iwanttheburn
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments!! I really appreciate it.

For the last few days I have given up my grains during the day. I eat a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and that's about the only grain I'm having so far. I'm feeling a good difference after cutting out bread/cheerios/pretzels/popcorn!

I've also cut out dairy milk, which I think is helping as well.

My latest issue is, macro nutrients. Does anyone have a certain ratio they follow? I'm trying to play around with that right now. I'd love any suggestions about that! :)
  • Fairfax79
    Options
    I have had PCOS since I can remember, I am now slimmer and healthier than I have ever been. I have started a blog to share how I did it and how I am keeping it off, please join me squidgytummypolice.com
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago after I spend 5 days a week at the gym and eating the "right" foods. I went to a doctor to get my thyroid checked because I thought I might have cushings. I tired the meds but they didn't help and tired to still lose weight the "right" way ( lower calories in + more calories out = Weight Loss) for another year. I got to maybe 210/209 on my lightest day ever. I then gave up and started eating anything I wanted and giving into those sugar/carb cravings. I knew about this diet called Keto but believed that doing it was wrong and would kill me.

Then my mom lost 60lbs, and 4 people in my motorcycle club did the same, and then I met a person who had transitioned to a Keto lifestyle and was around her healthy weight for 10+ years. So I'm trying it.

I'm down almost 13lbs since the beginning of January. I'm never hungry (unless I forget to pack my lunch!), I don't crave sweets or cake or carbs at all. I drink way more water then before and I'm going to get back into weight training in a few days (I've been doing mild resistance only, I'm planning on heavy lifting going forward). I have more energy, my cloths fit better.

you might want to look into going to a lower carb diet and see if it works for you. A lot of people with PCOS have add success on programs like Ideal Protein and Atkins. Also, feel free to message me or add me as a friend!