TDEE and BMR Questions - Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

I see what you're saying. Did you see my post before? So I'm basically following it in a weird different way.. by eating back the calories I burn while following the 1200/day (before exercise) I end up around 1600. So it's kind of the same except with that calculation, you don't eat them back.

The interesting aspect of TDEE (total daily enegry expenditure) methodology vs NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) methodology used by MFP is that if you follow either method correctly, you roughly come up with the same daily caloric intake recommendation (assuming your weight loss goal is 1lb/wk. If your goal is 2lb/wk, NEAT will give you a drastically lower daily calorie allotment). The difference, I believe, is whether or not the method you use makes "sense" to you.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for helping me understand this better! I appreciate the help!!! :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I see what you're saying. Did you see my post before? So I'm basically following it in a weird different way.. by eating back the calories I burn while following the 1200/day (before exercise) I end up around 1600. So it's kind of the same except with that calculation, you don't eat them back.

The interesting aspect of TDEE (total daily enegry expenditure) methodology vs NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) methodology used by MFP is that if you follow either method correctly, you roughly come up with the same daily caloric intake recommendation (assuming your weight loss goal is 1lb/wk. If your goal is 2lb/wk, NEAT will give you a drastically lower daily calorie allotment). The difference, I believe, is whether or not the method you use makes "sense" to you.

I agree that they are very very similar. For me personally, since I just switched to the TDEE method, it seems to be working better. It could just be in my head, but I think for me, the fact that calories burned are pretty much an estimated guess (MFP has a way of figuring it out, but ultimately it's still somewhat of a guess). Plus, I like seeing just a flat #. 1688 is all I can eat. I burn 1 calorie for any exercising I do.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Oh and feel free to add me if you like.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Last thing...if you use TDEE - the closer you get to goal you'll want to be less aggressive and use like TDEE-15% then TDEE-10%.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Last thing...if you use TDEE - the closer you get to goal you'll want to be less aggressive and use like TDEE-15% then TDEE-10%.

Gotcha. I'd probably recalculate after a certain point to make sure of the change and ensure that I don't over eat for my goal. Thank you again!
  • pesky22
    pesky22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read through this thread and its really helpful. I've got one questions though, my BMR is coming out at 1764 calories and my TDEE is 2114. Now if i take 20% off of my TDEE it would leave me with 1691 calories which is less than my BMR which everyone seems to suggest you don't go below.

Can anyone help??