Building muscle at home?

Options
Hi

I try and do ''toning'' exercises at home at least a 3 times a week (usually when I can't get to the gym because of kids etc), I do variations of things like crunches, squats, press ups etc etc. I usually spend about 20 mins doing this.

Will this be building muscle? I'm not talking building big muscles, but is it helping towards building muscle I loose in weight loss and to help on the way to get me toned?

Thanks

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It certainly will :-). Keep up the good work.
    I do all my workouts at home.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You don't build muscle at a calorie deficit so assuming you're still losing weight then the answer is: No. Body weight strength training can help with retaining the muscle you already have, so I'd certainly keep at it, but perhaps look into a program that deals with progressively more difficult moves.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks. I don't just do this, this is just what I try and do when I can't get to the gym on that day (which seems to be a lot at the moment with school holidays!).

I'm confused, am I never going to build any muscle (no matter how much exercise and strength trainingI do), if I eat at a calorie deficit? Even a small one?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I don't just do this, this is just what I try and do when I can't get to the gym on that day (which seems to be a lot at the moment with school holidays!).

I'm confused, am I never going to build any muscle (no matter how much exercise and strength trainingI do), if I eat at a calorie deficit? Even a small one?

To build muscle you need a calorie surplus (You can't build something out of nothing, you know?)*

People strength train while losing weight to retain the muscle mass they already have, which is important and really worth doing the training for. I do, and have been, doing strength training the entire time I've been losing weight and I'm very happy with the results.

*With the exception of newbie gains.
  • xmel123x
    Options
    Ah right I see, I didn't realise that! Well at least I'm working on keeping my muscles then! :)
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too in building some muscle mass, but also work at home and have no equipment for heavy lifting.
    What exercices exactly can one do to help with that, presuming there is calorie surplus to help it?
    Are the right body weight exercices enough for this purpose?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Scooby says you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

In short, eat 1g protein per pound of body weight per day.

Eat about 10% under your TDEE or check calculator.

Eat fresh food.

Do strength and cardio.

Note: I am trying to build lower body muscle not lose weight.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Yes, you can build muscle on a calorie deficit, provided you have enough body fat, and lose fat slowly enough. Rapid weight loss is not conducive to building muscle. See scoobyworkshop.com for all you need to get started building strength and muscle at home.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Scoobysnap
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Is that like a Scooby snack? :D
  • jamesdunne16503
    Options
    Im about to start some weights at home , been using this site for a week and ive been short 1000-1500 calourie to put on weight . recently had a special offer from myprotein.com got a bag of MRP for £14 delivered . last few days just having 1-2 drinks a day im over my calories by 500-1000 depending on other meals . im hoping that these 500-1000 extra calories is enough to build some body mass / muscle :) fingers crossed i have around 26kg of weights to use
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    James, is that like Scoobysnacks?
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am doing sandbag workout routine at home for around 45 mins....I use 10kg sandbag....its a great workout...I am eating at deficit currently as I have around 10 kgs to lose.....I started this routine recently. ..want to see how my body responds....if I reach my goal weight I will eat at surplus and lift more heavier sandbags and do HIIT worout routines....:flowerforyou:
  • xmel123x
    Options
    I don't particularly want to loose weight, however I do want to loose some body fat that I'm carrying on my tummy, bum, thighs and hips. There isn't loads of it, but it's still there. I also want to get super toned, not particularly 'muscley', but very fit and very toned.
    I was eating a small calorie defecit to lpose the body fat (along with cardio and strength) but want to build a bit of muscle at the same time! :)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly want to loose weight, however I do want to loose some body fat that I'm carrying on my tummy, bum, thighs and hips. There isn't loads of it, but it's still there. I also want to get super toned, not particularly 'muscley', but very fit and very toned.
    I was eating a small calorie defecit to lpose the body fat (along with cardio and strength) but want to build a bit of muscle at the same time! :)

Don't worry about getting super muscley. You do not have the testosterone required to build massive muscles. I don't even have the testosterone required to build massive muscles :p.
    Eat at maintenance and lift weights. Your body will recomposition (fat - muscle) itself over time.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Scooby says you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time:

Oh then it must be true then :rolleyes
  • DempseyWRX
    DempseyWRX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can buy a large sandbad or a (not sure what to call it) fighters mounting bag? It's basically a heavy sack that you can carry in your arms but has uneven weight. The abnormal weight distribution forces complex muscle usage. holding in front builds endurance in your lats, biceps, forearms, core, shoulders, traps, and legs. Toss it over your shoulders and squat/lunge/walk to round out your legs. Beyond that you can get creative.

All in all if you want to work out at home, your body is really all you need plus maybe a youtube video or two to point you in the right creative direction. As you can see in my profile pic, you've gotta do what you've gotta do if you've only got your home :)
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone or an ipad? If so, I highly recommend an app called You Are Your Own Gym. These are all body weight exercises. There are 4 different levels of exercises (definitely start at beginner). There are 10 week workouts for each level that progressively step you up each time. The app has videos built into it that show each exercise, as well as a timer to make sure you get the correct rests in between. It also allows you to play your music while you workout. This all costs a whopping $2.99.
  • xmel123x
    Options

Don't worry about getting super muscley. You do not have the testosterone required to build massive muscles. I don't even have the testosterone required to build massive muscles :p.
    Eat at maintenance and lift weights. Your body will recomposition (fat - muscle) itself over time.

Ah right ok, so if I work out enough (and eat at maintenance) my body fat should eventually become muscle?
    I thought I'd need to loose the body fat so that you could see the toned muscles that are hidden underneath (can you tell this is all new to me, I've exervised for a while but never really thought any more into it).

So should I up my protein? I'm currently trying to keep at what MFP has set me at (50 something I think), should it be more (I weigh about 125lbs).

Also my current calorie net total goal is 1500, is this about right? I do work a part time office job of about 15-20 hours a week, however I'm an extremely busy person and the rest of my time 7am - 9pm most days is spent on my feet rushing around, usual motherly/household/garden duties plus loads of animals and dogs to walk etc (I don't count any of this as exercise as I do it every day). I was estimating this was about right for a 10% deficit, what does everyone else think? Also sometimes I eat under my net calories sometimes up to 400 under, should I not do this?

When I started this I never thought it would be so complicated!! :P
  • xmel123x
    Options
    I do have some dumbells that I have just started using whilst doing some of the exercises (obvs arm lifts but also squats and lunges) to try and up the intensity a bit.