Seriously -- Is 'Starvation Mode' for real?

oscarboy
oscarboy Posts: 2
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there-

I am fairly new to this site and have been have a ton of trouble losing 8-10 pounds. They simply WILL NOT budge. I am very healthy, not really overweight, but would like to lose a little excess. I have been trying for over a year with no success. I walk hills (3 miles or so) about every day. I have 4 children, so not a lot more time than that. I do yoga stretches daily as well.

Anyhow, I have been staying within about 1250-1400 calories a day. I weight about 134# and would like to get down to around 125 (which USED to be my norm - only 1.5 years ago!). I am 5' 7.5" tall. I am 40 years old. My question here really is about starvation mode and what others thoughts are on the subject. I have read quite a bit about it, but become stumped when I read where people drop below 1000 cals a day and THEN start to lose weight. I honestly don't wish to do that for various reasons (main one being a mother of 4 daughters - what kind of role model would that be?). And what about if one does something like that, what happens when they start to eat fairly 'normally' again?

I just don't understand how I can be maintaining my weight on such little calories... what if I at 1800!?? yikes!

Thanks for listening and any input!

Replies

• Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    What types of things are you eating? What is your sugar level and what kind of carbs are you putting in your body. I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago but I started the Eat Clean diet this week and I've already lost a lb. I know a lb doesn't seem that much but in 2 days and considering I didn't budge for a month is a good start. I noticed eating clean cuts my sugars in half and carbs and don't even get me started on my fats. You might want to start looking at the quality of the calories you are consuming.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Hi there-

I am fairly new to this site and have been have a ton of trouble losing 8-10 pounds. They simply WILL NOT budge. I am very healthy, not really overweight, but would like to lose a little excess. I have been trying for over a year with no success. I walk hills (3 miles or so) about every day. I have 4 children, so not a lot more time than that. I do yoga stretches daily as well.

Anyhow, I have been staying within about 1250-1400 calories a day. I weight about 134# and would like to get down to around 125 (which USED to be my norm - only 1.5 years ago!). I am 5' 7.5" tall. I am 40 years old. My question here really is about starvation mode and what others thoughts are on the subject. I have read quite a bit about it, but become stumped when I read where people drop below 1000 cals a day and THEN start to lose weight. I honestly don't wish to do that for various reasons (main one being a mother of 4 daughters - what kind of role model would that be?). And what about if one does something like that, what happens when they start to eat fairly 'normally' again?

I just don't understand how I can be maintaining my weight on such little calories... what if I at 1800!?? yikes!

Thanks for listening and any input!

I recommend doing a google search for that specific topic - there is a lot of debate on this topic and there is a great deal of research regarding it.

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

http://www.ehow.com/how_4470014_starvation-mode-trying-lose-weight.html

This is just a couple of articles on the subject.

Vickie
  • I am NOT a nutritionist or trainer, but I have read alot about this too, and you definitely don't want to cut your calories!!! I would try adding some type of weight / resistance training, as your body may have gotten used to the walking and yoga (you're at a plateau). Muscles burn calories, so a little weight training may get you over that hump to lost those last 10!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Starvation mode is a very real thing, and it is a scientific principle that was known prior to even applying it to people trying to lose weight.

The truth about starvation mode involves your metabolism and how it works with the food you eat and the body fat that you have stored. When people do not eat enough calories, we don't just fall over dead. You would think you would simply die without food...but what actually happens is your body slows your metabolism down to a freaking snail's crawl so that even though you are not eating enough fuel, it also doesn't use up the body fat in storage very quickly. This is also called survival mode. Your body needs fuel from food to operate efficiently. The body can't exercise properly and effectively without plenty of fuel. The issue really lies in the type of fuel you are giving it. If you increase your calories with nutritious food, you are giving your body what it needs to exercise at a max potential which in turns helps you burn fat through exercise. It is exercise that burns up body fat, not eating less food. Sure, you need to eat a little less to create a calorie deficit, but you still need to eat enough to fuel your body for what it needs on a daily basis, and then a little more for what it needs to properly perform your cardio or strength routines.

People in starvation mode WILL eventually lose weight. But here's the problem. When you are in starvation mode, you are NOT losing BODY FAT. You are actually losing LEAN MASS. This is because your body is protecting it's body fat stores since you are not eating enough, and when that happens, your organs start metabolizing your muscle mass in a catabolic reaction. You might be lighter, and you might be thinner. But, you will be losing your muscle and keeping your body fat. You will be winded going up stairs. Lifting anything more than 10 pounds will become difficult during weight training routines. And you will be HUNGRY all the time. This leads to eventual binging, and when you binge on a low metabolism, you gain even more body fat.

The best way to lose body fat is to fuel your muscles with proper nutrition and burn the fat with exercise. Starvation mode kills your mood, your metabolism, and you health!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    There are topics galore on this.
    It's what works for you.
    Sometimes lowering your caloire intake works, sometimes upping it works.
    What every you do, I would contact your doctor. Tell them what you're currently doing, what your plans are, and what they think.
    It never hurts to ask - that's what they are there for.
    What works for one person is not always going to work for someone else.
    (I personally woudn't drop below 1200 calories a day with out a doctors approval - and to be honest, I would feel starved if I ate that few calories!!)
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    How long have you been trying to lose the weight? Be patient. You are trying to lose "the last" 5-10 pounds. That is really hard!! Try aiming to lose no more than a half a pound a week. You are so close to your goal, that it's going to take time and will likely be a slow process; it could take months. But if you do it slowly, you should then be able to keep it off.
  • Look into intermittent fasting. Your BMR is only 1350 or so, and that's to maintain weight. Think of it over the period of a week instead of day-to-day. Your body will not loose muscle unless you are actually starving to death if you have fat to burn.

Toning up with some resistance training is what I would recommend, as well as changing some of your cardio to H.I.I.T
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    I don't know about the scienftific facts regarding this, but every time I get stuck trying to lose weight and I boost my calories up 100 or 200 a day, I see results quickly, so I've found that zig-zagging my calories works really well for me.
  • sherrie8929
    sherrie8929 Posts: 38 Member
    I learned in my nutrition class last night that the very first tissue the body goes for when in starvation mode is muscle. Then fat. So yes, starvation mode exists, but as the other thread someone posted said - it doesn't happen over night. But if you stay below a healthy calorie intake for a prolonged period of time, sure - you will lose weight. But you'll be losing muscle mass, not fat.

I suggest that if you do decide to lower your daily calorie intake, find the most nutrient rich foods you can for the least amount of calories. Load up on protein and don't skip the carbs either. And maybe it's time to try a different exercise routine. Seems to me you've just hit a plateau and need to change it up a bit. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I'm not sure why you want to lose more weight, maybe focus on strength training to tone up. Ideal weight for a woman of 5'7.5" would be 137.5 and you are already below this. Try eating more and add strength training, and don't be afraid of heavier weights.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Starvation mode is just a current way to note the truth that when you eat too little, your metabolism slows. This doesn't mean you will stop losing weight! It might slow down, but if you stopped eating entirely, you would keep losing weight. (Ever see pictures of concentration camp survivors?)

I agree with Eric that you might want to consider whether or not your goal is realistic. Yes, that "used" to be normal, but every year our metabolism slows a bit. If you can comfortably maintain your current weight without going on a starvation diet, isn't it possible that that is the correct weight for you? And if, as Eric also suggests, you can build more lean mass by strength training, even if you stay at your current weight, you will lose any "flab" you might still be carrying, and look a whole lot better. (You also might lose some more weight, just because muscle burns more calories than fat does.)

It is really important to remember that what we really want is to be a HEALTHY weight and maintain a HEALTHY fitness level. HEALTHY looks and feels a lot better than anorexic, and that is really the state you want to hold up to your daughters as ideal.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 581 Member
    The zig zagging as someone put it has helped me in the past. I used to do Jenny Craig and when I hit a plateau they would tell me to eat a little extra fat/calories for a couple of weeks, then go back to your normal calorie intake. It worked everytime. I might have gained a couple of lbs, but it started me losing again. Smash right through the plateau. I would also suggest more cardio (which I know is going to be hard with your family). Good luck in your journey.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    madness is doing the same thing to get different results!! I think Einstein said that :smokin:

Bascially, you need to change what you're doing!!

Eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, eat clean, eat more protein, more cardio, more weights. Less or more??? I don't know, its just trial and error hun. But you gotta change what you're doing, for sure! :flowerforyou:
  • THANK YOU! Great link to a great post! (Gupton11)
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Good thread.
    Bump.
  • You sound just like me.. Everything that you said relates to me. I have been carring around the last 10 pounds for a year and it just wont come off.. What I did I talked to a trainer at Vitamin World or GNC. I spent time with him and he taught me alot about what I need to do to boost my Metabolism and stay out of the Starvation Mode.. I didnt realize I was doing this to my body. I have a good diet but not eating enough food during the day to burn fat and keep me out of the Starvation Mode..

2 weeks ago:
    I get up at 4 am drink 1 cup of coffee and then I work out to Jullian Michaels * She is AMAZING* 30 day Shred was a big deal in my weight loss at first and scuplting my body.. Do other workouts of hers too. I have 6 dvd's.

I would wait until 9-9:30 to eat breakfast which is always healthy.. High Fiber Oatmeal, Orange, Yogurt.. etc..

Then Lunch I would eat Chicken Breast with a veg. and sugarfree jello

Then a light snack apple, peach, pears, bananna.. etc.

Then Dinner whatever my husband cooked but small portions and no starches

I ate 4 meals a day then...

* NOW *
    I got a Protein Shake from Vitamin World its called 4 ever Fit strawberry Kiwi that is my sub. for coffee no more coffee bad for you..

Workout on the Treadmill 15 min. walk fast and then run then walk fast and run.. then workout to my regular routines with Jullian but do different workouts dont do the samething your body gets use to it.

Eat a Granola bar Oats and Honey right after you workout the reason is when you workout your level are high and if you dont eat something to keep the sugar levels high you will go from a high to a low that stavation mode waiting not to eat until Breakfast.

Then eat Breakfast add boiled egg whites no yolks.. orange high fiber oatmeal etc,,

Then I have a snack like a 8 oz protein shake or celery and carrots not the ones in the bag the long ones

Then eat Lunch Chicken Breast, salad, sugarfree jello avacado. etc.

Then have a snack at 3;00 Like blackberries and blueberries with alittle bit of splenda on them. These burn fat all day long

Then Dinner whatever my hubby cooks just small amounts..

* I eat 7 times a day now..

* I also have Green Tea Drops I put in alittle 2 oz glass of water and drink it Breakfast Lunch Dinner it helps burn fat and boost metabolism. and best of all Cardio...

Results in 2 weeks I have lost 4 pounds and still going down I found something that works for me.. I have to up my cardio 15 more minutes thats the Treadmill before my actually workout ,, Then I had to up my food intake just with good foods. And it worked so excited to get rid of the last 7 pounds now...

Just try eating more meals aday and up your cardio and see it that works for you like me.

I hope this helps you out if you like just look at my diary and you will see..

Good luck..

SusieQ
  • You are definitely already at your ideal weight. I'd stop concentrating on the number and go by your measurements. At 5' 5.5 when I weigh 135 pounds I am a size 6 (sometimes a 4). At 5' 7.5" you should be fine at that weight. I'd concentrate more on gaining muscle mass and "toning up" as people like to say. You are already at a great weight.
This discussion has been closed.