What are the benefits of doing cardio before lifting?

Options
I have just recently started a heavy weight training routine...on the days that I do this should I do a little cardio before I start? I see lots of guys doing this at my gym. I do an hour of cardio on my non-lifting days...but should I run for 10-15 minutes prior to weight training too? Thanks!

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The only valid reason to do this would be just to get the heart pumping and the blood moving. There is zero benefit in draining yourself prior to strength training. Any actual conditioning work should come after lifting.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The only valid reason to do this would be just to get the heart pumping and the blood moving. There is zero benefit in draining yourself prior to strength training. Any actual conditioning work should come after lifting.
    When I was in the army they completely ignored this. They would make us run first and do muscle failure after and vice versa. It was all up to whoever was leading PT that day. Their line of thinking was you should be so well conditioned it shouldn't matter.

I will be paying attention to this thread since I do not enjoy doing a muscle failure workout after a 3 mile run.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would have the energy after a lifting session to do cardio! I guess I thought getting my HR up before would help burn more calories...
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I've actually seen all of my lifts go up after doing some medium intensity workouts for an hour before I lift.

Chalk it up to being truly 'warmed up' or whatever you want, all I know is... any day I lift, I'm exercising before.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Some people do it to warm up. 10-15 minutes might be a little much though, depending on intensity.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are in good shape you can run before and still get a good workout but it really depends on your long term goals and priorities.

Which is more important, running better or building more muscle mass? Do the one that is more important first.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a lifting expert but I imagine the 10-15 mins of cardio is meant to serve as a warm up
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I typically do HIIT post lifting. It's either sprints or rowing.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I agree w/this. The only warm up I do before I lift is warm up sets.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    yea I'm not sure I would do cardio OTHER than a 10 min warm up before heavy lifting. You want to make sure you are focused and putting in 100% effort into your lifting routine. I am not sure how you could do that expending energy for an hour before hand.
    If you feel that you still have gas in the tank after lifting, do cardio then. I see a lot of guys run on the treadmill after lifting.
    For me I usually do a 30 min brisk walk after lifting purely for calorie burn.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started a heavy weight training routine...on the days that I do this should I do a little cardio before I start? I see lots of guys doing this at my gym. I do an hour of cardio on my non-lifting days...but should I run for 10-15 minutes prior to weight training too? Thanks!

I find that it generally reduces my available energy and reduces the quality of my lifting.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My 1/2 marathon training currently has a 4 mile run plus strength training on thursdays. I've been running first then the strength training especially since the strength training has been light weights on the machines and some pull-ups. I wonder if I wouldn't benefit the other way around. On the strength only day I still get on the ellipticals for 10 minutes just to warm up.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'll do 5 or 10 minutes of mild warm up on the treadmill or stepper before lifting, but that's it. If your goal is to run further then you cardio first, if your goal is to lift more then you lift first.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I used to run on days that I lifted heavy. I was told to lift heavy first and THEN do cardio because I was doing it the other way around and it was apparently wrong. However, when I tried, I could NOT run after the muscle failure. It didn't work for me.

I say listen to your body. I always do my run before I lift heavy now.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can really just do what you like, but keep in mind that using your energy for cardio before hand will keep you (to whatever extent) from being able to put in max effort in your lifting. To get the best results from lifting, you should be putting in maximum effort though (even as a woman, you won't get bulky, look it up plenty of forum posts on this).

If you're looking for a good warmup prior to lifting, I highly recommend you look up DeFranco's "Agile 8" and "Supple 6" routines. They are quick, very easy, and they have helped me tremendously in getting loose for a good lifting session. Each takes like 8 minutes to complete and it's PLENTY.
  • sr_erick
    sr_erick Posts: 25
    Options
    I personally cannot do cardio right before lifting. It drains too much of my energy. I have to have to leave at least a few hours after cardio before lifting heavy, or do some form of cardio shortly after lifting. I really try to get some protein in me in between either activity though.

Try it both ways, do what feels best for you. I have found what works best for me and personally think that if your goal is to lift heavy, do it first so you have the most energy to lift the heaviest you can.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I do strength before cardio, I haven't enough energy to really go for it and I phone in the cardio workout.
    If I do cardio before strength, I can really go for it and get a good cardio session in. I think getting my heart pumping and adrenaline flowing helps me, because I feel great and motivated to go into the strength session straight afterwards. I certainly don't work to a lesser intensity with my strength if I've done cardio first.