How to build muscle?

Options
Hi,

Like all of you, I've been reading all over the place that eating more protein will help you retain or build muscle.

However, I've been training my muscles (exercises using body weight ) very regularly for 8 weeks BUT have found out that I lost muscle during that time (I lost weight too). Every other month I get the percentage fat / muscle / water in my body measured by the same machine at my doctor's office so these numbers are reliable.

I'm very surprised considering that my training was heavier in weight lifting than previously. Anybody here has ever tried and succeeded in building muscles? Any proven tips?

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You will always lose a percentage of lean body mass when in a calorie deficit. If it's less percentage-wise than it was before you started doing bodyweight training, you're on the right track.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Building muscle requires a Caloric Surplus (need to eat above maintenance). When eating at a Caloric Deficit, it is nearly impossible to gain any muscle.

What you are doing is preserving what muscle you do have. If you'd really like to gain muscle there are many fitness/body builder types here on MFP, you can either search for some of the already posted topics or make your own post in the Fitness Forum.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus, adequate protein, resistance training with progressive overload
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and eat at a surplus.

You will not get bulky and muscular.

You cannot get bulky and muscular, you don't have the testosterone to do it.

New Rules of Lifting for Women or Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength are both excellent places to start. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Caloric surplus, adequate protein, resistance training with progressive overload

this.

body weight exercises are awesome. but if you don't scale up and push harder every time, you'll never really build muscle.
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Like others said, eat at a surplus. You need to calculate your BMR and add 500 calories. You will also gain some fat and avoid cardio because you will have to eat back everything you burn to keep you in the surplus range.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    THIS and high volume training...................16 sets minimum per body part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

this.

body weight exercises are awesome. but if you don't scale up and push harder every time, you'll never really build muscle.

QFT.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you still trying to lose weight? If so what your really want to do is maintain muscle. I'd recommend a basic simple beginners program like Strong Lifts 5x5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It's more common to lose lean mass (including muscle) when in a caloric deficit. However, since you'd be considered a newb to lifting with added resistance, it is possible that you could maintain lean mass or even see a very small increase (1 to 2% or so). In my experience as a personal trainer who sent clients to get their body composition clinically checked every two months, the norm was essentially maintaining lean mass; very few showed a slight increase even when eating adequate protein and lifting subjectively heavy with progressive loading of resistance. Final note: make sure your caloric deficit is appropriate and not too large. Excessively large deficits run the risk of losing an increased amount of lean mass.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you have never exercised before, using body weight will build you muscle up to a certain point. After that you will need to use progressively heavier weight to go further. When you eat at a deficit it's slow and tough to build muscle, and when the deficit is large it's virtually impossible. As a woman (unless you're blessed with naturally high level of testosterone or taking illegal additives) you won't gain muscle nearly as fast as men, so just realize that it's gonna take time.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What everyone has already said. Plus the fact that those machines are not accurate and will show different results based on food intake, hydration levels, etc. My LBM changes within a 10lb range on any given day of the week according to one of those machines.
  • Krystle_V
    Krystle_V Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the unsung heroes of muscle building... recovery and sleep.