CrossFit, will it be worth it?

Options
I checked out a local CrossFit gym yesterday, Looks like I can endure the workouts and it will be a change of pace....but the Price is pretty penny :)...is it worth it, I think I might try for 30 days? Whatcha Think?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I checked out a local CrossFit gym yesterday, Looks like I can endure the workouts and it will be a change of pace....but the Price is pretty penny :)...is it worth it, I think I might try for 30 days? Whatcha Think?
    I was thinking of trying it for a month, just to see what's up. I really don't see how the $150 makes any sense though.
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At my Location, its unlimited for 100 bucks or 3 times a week its $75 for a month.
  • gail200186
    gail200186 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to do bootcamp and I absolutely loved it!! Pretty expensive though, but if you are willing to go 4-5 times a week, I think its worth it. I saw awesome results. I really wish I could go now, but I just moved to a new city and I can't afford it right now :(
  • gail200186
    gail200186 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd do the unlimited BTW
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Before you sign up for anything, check Living Social and Groupon for new customer deals! I found a coupon that way for a local "boot camp" type thing - 90 days unlimited for $60 bucks, would normally be 500+ !!

I just searched for fitness stuff in my area I think when I looked. Or I used key words like "boot camp" "Cross fit" etc
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    CF is definitely pricey and it definitely depends on your goals. If your training goals include developing into some kind of endurance athlete then yeah, CF is good. Or, some people simply like training that way. If your goals are just to get stronger and manage bodyfat, then get a membership to a good gym with plenty of free weights and cardio equipment.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    At my Location, its unlimited for 100 bucks or 3 times a week its $75 for a month.

That's a really great price; I am not sure where you are, but in my area it's around $250+. If it were my thing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's only one way to find out.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.

I'm not sure this is true for every Crossfit box. We do heavy technical lifts, but not in high reps. Then, we follow that with a workout involving those lifts, but with a decently reduced weight, so you shouldn't have to sacrifice form. Also, all workouts are scaleable, so you have every option to lower the weight even further if you believe the prescribed weight is too heavy to keep correct form. It's not just about blindly following what someone tells you to do. It's also about using your own brain and listening to your body. That is true about every form of activity though.
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think i am going to try it, see if this will jump start my burn machine (metabolism). The First 3 classes are Free, I will know after the first class
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My husband and a bunch of his friends do it, but they do it at home. You can find cross fit WOD's online for free. The hubby loves it.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

That's a very general statement that is patently untrue in many cases. I just started at my box and the coaches have done nothing but focus on my form and making sure I learn the proper technique. They won't let me lift heavy yet until they make sure that I am doing things the right way. Just like some trainers at a traditional gym are better than others, so are CrossFit boxes. I love the one I go to and look forward to every WOD.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I did a free month made it to 6 classes, I enjoyed parts of it. It was too expensive for me. Now my personal trainer got certified and goes to classes and incorporates the parts I like into my workouts. If it was more conveniet and cheaper than going to my trainer and my gym, I would think about it, but I liek variety and do several other classes and don't want to give those up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My wife's cousin has been doing crossfit for a couple of years now (she started as a way to get in shape for her FDNY tests) and loves it. I looked into it locally and it was priced a little out of my comfort zone (a year's membership would buy me a sweet used bike!)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

That's a very general statement that is patently untrue in many cases. I just started at my box and the coaches have done nothing but focus on my form and making sure I learn the proper technique. They won't let me lift heavy yet until they make sure that I am doing things the right way. Just like some trainers at a traditional gym are better than others, so are CrossFit boxes. I love the one I go to and look forward to every WOD.

Totally agree with this, the trainer where I went watched us closely. We were learning with almost no weight and once he was satisfied with our form he would let us add weight, and then he still watched closely.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options

I'm not sure this is true for every Crossfit box. We do heavy technical lifts, but not in high reps. Then, we follow that with a workout involving those lifts, but with a decently reduced weight, so you shouldn't have to sacrifice form. Also, all workouts are scaleable, so you have every option to lower the weight even further if you believe the prescribed weight is too heavy to keep correct form. It's not just about blindly following what someone tells you to do. It's also about using your own brain and listening to your body. That is true about every form of activity though.

IT's definitely true for the one I tried, where I hurt my shoulder. The guy and girl trainers were screaming at people to get moving, do more, do better, go faster, etc. I know this motivates a lot of people but I think good instruction and having someone help you with form while trying to push you is a better idea. I have not gone back, I really hurt my shoulder and it has been 4 weeks, so I am now thinking that I will need to see a Dr.
  • mattheworahood
    Options

I couldn't agree more with this. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Crossfit is getting people off their couch. Here is the thing, not all Crossfit gyms are made the same. The only requirement to become a certified Crossfit trainer is a one weekend seminar. How can you expect to learn the complexities of these technical lifts on a weekend alone. I myself train using crossfitfootball.com. The programmers are really knowledgeable and the programming makes sense. Not to mention the owner is a professional athlete and has been coached by the best since college.
  • TXBecki
    TXBecki Posts: 40
    Options
    Absolutely love it, and it's worth every penny to me. It is expensive compared to a normal gym, but you aren't just getting access to equipment. You get a certified trainer at every session to help you and cheer you on, and you have someone programming for you, rather than just walking in to a gym and getting on a treadmill for 45 minutes, or trying to figure it out on your own. To the poster who mentioned injury/compromising form, CF is only dangerous to the athlete who doesn't scale to their own limitations, and/or attends a CF box with poor coaches (they are out there - so check the certifications of the coaches at your box first). The community of it is one of the best things about it - even at my heaviest, I have never once felt intimidated walking into a CF class because everyone is so supportive, and wants to encourage each other to be the best they can.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

It is a general statement, but it does pertain to the time I tried out crossfit. It was a very young trainer (early 20's) with the kill em mentality. I am a CPT through ACSM and seen the way he was teaching and lack of leading. Bad form and one person who upchucked is what I witnessed. Needless to say I walked out, never to return. Crossfit, like any fitness regimen, depends on the trainer. I would be willing to give it another go though if the trainer is experienced and cares about his/her clientel!