I want a dog....

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I recommend fostering from a local shelter first. It will give you the opportunity to see if your family is suited for a dog and if you can be responsible pet owners (cleaning the yard, walking, feeding, playing, etc). Often times the shelter has already housebroken animals so that part isn't so difficult. The only downfall of fostering is getting attached and having to let go but if you get especially attached to one, you adopt it!
    The best way to keep a dog from chewing / eating stuff they shouldn't is to make sure they are getting enough play time and providing appropriate toys for them to chew on and play with. Go to your local pet store and check out the wide selection. In addition, I recommend an obedience class. Teaching them that you are the "alpha" of the pack is very important.
    This is excellent advice. A good shelter will also do a house visit so that you don't end up with a dog that is too big for your home, or is too boisterous with kids etc., and they should also make sure that all members of the family meet the dog before it comes home.
    Irrespective of breed/age I'd advise getting your dog insured, a suspected foreign object could cost £100s even if they can't find anything and no operation is required, I speak from experience. In addition, if your dog is bitten by another it could run into £100s. I'm in the UK so can only speak for costs here.
    Above all, take some time to find the dog that will be right for your home and family, don't rush into it just because you want a dog 'now'. Think about what you'll do with that dog when you're on vacation, when you have family staying at Christmas, in the Winter when it's bitterly cold and wet but it still needs to be walked.
    Good luck! x
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We got our 3 year old cockapoo from a breeder when she was 8 weeks old. She trained very quickly and is a great dog. We recently adopted a beagle from a kill shelter. Found out he had 4 days left. He is so sweet. He's such a stinker. Can't imagine what it was like when we were dog free. I love my fur babies.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just thinking 'out loud'.....want to get a dog....

buuuuutttt.....

What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

And on and on and on and on....

buuuuutttt.....

They are so damned cute, lovable and fun!!

Yup...I think I'll get a dog....:heart:
    If you really want a dog and you have all of these concerns, get an adult, house-trained dog from a rescue or shelter. DO NOT GET A PUPPY. Your puppy will end up in a shelter if you do.

I think you really need to think this through better and have a better reason for getting a dog and understanding of the committment involved.

Personally, I love all animals and have a house full. I would never, ever deliberately get a puppy.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I love my shelter mutt. I'll never know what she really is, but she's mine and that's all that matters....

971145_10151579132312545_128566257_n.jpg

Do it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I love my shelter mutt. I'll never know what she really is, but she's mine and that's all that matters....

Do it.

:-)

I do have a pure bred. A minpin.

Why do I have a purebred? Because someone got a purebred and then dumped her outside my house a few years ago. I tookher in, realized she wasn't house trained and trained her in two weeks. I'm guessing the person who dumped her thought she was "so cute" and had to have her. *grumble*
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check with your insurance company. Some are actually stupid enough to use public misinformation rather than science to decide breed specific coverage bans.

We have two mixed breed adopted dogs. A Jack Russel/Sheltie mix and a pit bull / mastiff mix. The baby is the big one.

There are no bad breeds. Only bad owners.

Pit Bulls and Mastiffs are great with children and people. Like Jessica Rabbit, they are not bad they are just drawn that way.

Be prepared to have furniture chewed and carpets peed on.

If you don't have a fenced yard, long walks are a must. Dogs can get cabin fever as much as humans do.

And find a good kennel to take your dog to when you must be away. Preferably one that keeps all the dogs in a pack all day and only in solo kennels at night. Some are highly restrictive and charge extra for "play" time outside a solo enclosure. Run away from those places.

Just my $0.02.
  • SergeantG
    Options
    Why don't you take me, my name is "Beckham", i give great hugs and am VERY handsome

AWWWWWW.....I'd scoop him up :love:
  • shellsies93
    Options
    you should get a dog that fits your life style. People get dogs because their cute but don't realize their personalities are the opposite of each other. This will create "behavior problems" that could have been avoided. For example, if you aren't an active person, getting a lab or most big dogs isn't the best idea because they need the exercise or else their will be huge behavior issues.
    dogs are amazing. good luck! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.

Adopt! Skip the puppy stage if you are concerned about housetraining, chewing, etc... that is part of a puppy that you have to accept.

This. :smile: Look for an adult from a rescue who's been fostered in a home with children, and that will take about 90% of your hesitation off the table. I found my Pekingese on Petfinder.com.
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just thinking 'out loud'.....want to get a dog....

buuuuutttt.....

What kind? Will I have enough time? Will I have enough space? How long until its housbroken? Will I crate train? Will my kids pull its tail? Will it eat my couch, running shoes, iPod, computer cord, extension cord, woodwork, rug? When it eats said items how much will it cost to have them remove from its stomach? Will it learn to run with me on a leash? Will it bark too much (too little)?

And on and on and on and on....

buuuuutttt.....

They are so damned cute, lovable and fun!!

Yup...I think I'll get a dog....:heart:

LOL, I had to laugh and wanted to break this down with an answer to each of your concerns, but I'm sure you KNOW what the answers are! ;0)

I tell everyone who is thinking of getting a dog.. Just remember, having a dog is like having a two year old for 18 years. :) HA HA

I have a Chow Chow named Sid Vicious but the most lovable Chow ever.. :)
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Adopt. There are too many doggies that need forever homes.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Adooooopt. If you're worried about chewing and housebreaking, get one that's at least a year old. By that time they're usually mature enough not to destroy things. And go for a black dog, black pets have a much lower adoption rate than lighter-colored pets.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I believe Welsh Corgis are very good with kids, and they're very protective of their families. They don't really drool or make huge messes, and they're fairly small.

I have a corgi and they are definitely all of these things (though they do shed a lot, no drooling though)! However, they are crazy smart and get very bored easily, which leads to destructive behavior (and big messes of torn up stuff) so you have to have something for them to do while you can't pay attention to them (kong ball with treats in it, several things to chew on, etc etc). They pick up on training fast but you have to be willing to work with them a lot so they feel stimulated enough. But they are very sweet, loving dogs that will herd your *kitten* around the house until you're where they think you should be :laugh:

This is Waffles, my little sausage roll :)

787f4a37-f313-474a-a053-ec5a047cbbd7_zpsb1c83d5f.jpg

29f9b281-423d-4949-a53c-43ff7514243d_zps011a3a38.jpg

6155e906-abbd-4e65-aefd-fac874ff322b_zpse0c7788a.jpg

Well someone beat me to it Three simple words --- PEMBROKE WELSH CORGI!!!!!!

They are great dogs very loyal and a little needy (i have 2 right now and the male has to be picked up when I get home from work everyday because he misses me!! I know its ridiculous.) They are small dogs but a great protectors of the home. They are farm dogs they are used for herding cattle and sheep so they do like to run and play which is perfect because now you will have a running partner!!!

I am a big burly guy but when it comes to the corgi I am a huge SAP!!!!!!
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers and we wouldn't be without them. They are both adopted dog from friends who, for various reasons, could no longer look after them. We have a 5year old female and her 9month old sons and they are both really friendly. The pup is still a little on the chewy side- luckily it's paper that he mainly goes for. I didn't realise a piece of paper could be torn into so many pieces. They both greet us, even if we've just been out of the room they're in for a few moments as though we've just come back from a long expedition. They are easy to train and are good with children. The pup is still wary about meeting new people, and tends to hang back and bark. However, it never takes him too long before he is wallowing in attention. Both have their own crate where they sleep and spend time when we're out. This I think helps to cut down on the amount of damage they've done and both of them seem to like having safe cosy areas to go into. These little dogs don't deserve the bad press they receive. Like other people have said; it's the owners that are bad, not the dogs. Great little dogs, friendly, easy to train, loyal and good with children.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Id love a puppy but I got a kitten so id stop being broody. Hasnt worked lol! Kids pulled it around for about 2 weeks now they dont care, my almost 10month old is still fascinated with the kitty though and will tug abit too hard on the ears/tail if he gets excited! Id go to a rescue centre though for a dog as round here they are over run with Staffordshire bull terriers as people want them for the status symbol then decide they are too much hard work :(
    Id love one of those but I have a 2.5yr old and a 10month old plus 4month old kitten who eats all his food then the kids food and leaves the house for a whole day lol so im too busy for another pet! Maybe in 10yrs time!
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    Yes adopt. I've adopted most of my animals (2 dogs/2 cats) and they are all just wonderful. We just bought a pug puppy in March. You don't want a puppy. What a freakin' pain in the butt. I much prefer my older guys.

And yes meet some well trained pits. Its ridiculous my mailman won't walk up to drop my mail off if I'm working in my garage with my amstaff... even though he just sits on his bed and wags his tail. The mailman does absolutely adore the dachsund down the street that has bitten a few people lol. They are a great breed put in a bad light.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    We have just been fortunate enough to adopt a Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup at 14 weeks due to a friend having to give her up for family reasons. She is an amazing dog and a very loving breed. Staffys have been historically used as "nanny" dogs because they are so great with children. They are amazingly loyal, easy to train because they are so clever.

She is a whirlwind as she is a little like a toddler, but she is still a baby. She is exactly like JoyceMccormack says hers are and will greet you after even a toilet break like shes not seen you in weeks or years. The breed definitely doesn't deserve the bad name. They are an amazingly loving breed
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I recommend fostering from a local shelter first. It will give you the opportunity to see if your family is suited for a dog and if you can be responsible pet owners (cleaning the yard, walking, feeding, playing, etc). Often times the shelter has already housebroken animals so that part isn't so difficult. The only downfall of fostering is getting attached and having to let go but if you get especially attached to one, you adopt it!

The best way to keep a dog from chewing / eating stuff they shouldn't is to make sure they are getting enough play time and providing appropriate toys for them to chew on and play with. Go to your local pet store and check out the wide selection. In addition, I recommend an obedience class. Teaching them that you are the "alpha" of the pack is very important.

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

I'm seconding the fostering idea. Yeah, dogs are great, and they're cute, but they're also a lifetime responsibility, 10-15 or more years, depending on the breed (and age at adoption). Crate training for the safety of the dog when he can't be supervised, and also, everyone in the family should go to training sessions so the dog learns that even the kids are above him in the pack. Or her. :smile:
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Why do I have a purebred? Because someone got a purebred and then dumped her outside my house a few years ago. I tookher in, realized she wasn't house trained and trained her in two weeks. I'm guessing the person who dumped her thought she was "so cute" and had to have her. *grumble*
    [/quote]

we have a toy manchester, which is a minpin without the ears and tail docked. He is the cutest little snuggly thing and was fairly easy to train. He's still a puppy though so we are working through house training. It's down to one room now.
  • rml_16
    Options

we have a toy manchester, which is a minpin without the ears and tail docked. He is the cutest little snuggly thing and was fairly easy to train. He's still a puppy though so we are working through house training. It's down to one room now.

Hmmm. Maybe that's what she is. The vet calls her a minpin and that's what I thought she was from the start, but she isn't docked (not that *I* would ever do that, but whoever had her before didn't, either).

She's such a brat. It really isn't a breed I would choose if I had a choice. But I never have a choice. Dogs and cats kind of just show up in my life. lol