Looking for healthy Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• redbev306
    Options
    My fav. SUPER easy crockpot meal is salsa chicken. Toss in as many chicken breasts as you want (can even be frozen... just will need to cook longer) & throw a jar of your favorite salsa in with it. I usually let it cook all day on low & it makes super tender pull-apart chicken which I usually serve over rice or quinoa. :) Bam! dinner!
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Slender Kitchen has a category of healthy slow cooker recipes: http://www.slenderkitchen.com/healthy-crock-pot-recipes/

The few I've made have all been quite good.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The thing with the slow cooker is that as loong as you don't put anything unhealhty in, then what comes out MUST be healthy :bigsmile:

The biggest problem I have found with recipes online is that they tend to be either an assembly of packages (one pack this, one pack that, tin of this) and/or contain condensed soup and/or cheese.

Rather than soup I now use with stock (home-made or from a cube) or a Coleman's casserole mix if I want a soupy/stewy end result. If I want it creamy I add some cornflour at the end, or stir through some quark or half-fat creme fraiche. I also love putting in a whole chicken (skin removed) or piece of silverside beef and cook it until done - the chicken just has herbs added, the beef some spoonuls of redcurrant jelly - so you get rast-effect meat without all the fat. Yummy!

I steam Cauliflower in a pot with 2 fingers of water - drain and put it in a blender to this blender I add salt /pepper & parmesan cheese, add chicken broth till I like the creamy consistency- this is what you can use in replacement of soups and casseroles for condenced soup in recipes , way healthier, and this is my answer to alfredo over pasta :)

^^I'll have to try this steam cauliflower thing^^ I never liked cauliflower. Something about the texture and color turned me off. I know taste buds change and I'm willing to try most anything,so I'll do this. Thank you:smile:
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    Bump
  • audreyz
    audreyz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just came across this, but have not tried it yet. Just sounded really good. 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks, 1 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 cup of brown sugar (I am going to substitute with Splenda brown sugar) 1/3 cup soy sauce (I am going to use the low sodium). Mix together, cook in crock pot for 6-8 hrs on low. Serve with brown rice and veggie.
  • vkmcewen
    vkmcewen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken

1 bottle Frank's RedHot Sauce (or similar product--we actually like Louisiana brand even better)
    1 pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
    several chicken breasts (3-5)

Place all ingredients into crockpot and cook on high for several hours. When cooked, shred the chicken with forks. Use in wraps, salad, nachos, pizza, or as a dip. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
    Taco soup
    1 can each:
    Rotel
    Red beans
    Ranch Style beans
    Black beans
    Corn

Taco seasoning packet
    (optional: packet dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing)

Dump all ingredients into a crockpot (do not drain cans) and heat thoroughly. Make it on the stove if you want it done sooner.
    Optional: Throw in a few chicken breasts, let cook for a few hours, then shred chicken with forks.

Serve as a soup, in a burrito, or on a salad.
    Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), tortilla chips, avocado

Our recipes are nothing fancy. We are busy people on a budget. These are almost weekly staples for us. :)
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The thing with the slow cooker is that as loong as you don't put anything unhealhty in, then what comes out MUST be healthy :bigsmile:

The biggest problem I have found with recipes online is that they tend to be either an assembly of packages (one pack this, one pack that, tin of this) and/or contain condensed soup and/or cheese.

Rather than soup I now use with stock (home-made or from a cube) or a Coleman's casserole mix if I want a soupy/stewy end result. If I want it creamy I add some cornflour at the end, or stir through some quark or half-fat creme fraiche. I also love putting in a whole chicken (skin removed) or piece of silverside beef and cook it until done - the chicken just has herbs added, the beef some spoonuls of redcurrant jelly - so you get rast-effect meat without all the fat. Yummy!

I steam Cauliflower in a pot with 2 fingers of water - drain and put it in a blender to this blender I add salt /pepper & parmesan cheese, add chicken broth till I like the creamy consistency- this is what you can use in replacement of soups and casseroles for condenced soup in recipes , way healthier, and this is my answer to alfredo over pasta :)

^^I'll have to try this steam cauliflower thing^^ I never liked cauliflower. Something about the texture and color turned me off. I know taste buds change and I'm willing to try most anything,so I'll do this. Thank you:smile:

awesome , let me know if you liked it :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Do you know about Stephanie O'Dea's blog? She did a 365 day Slow-Cooker challenge and kept a great blog about her experiences. Here's a link to her recipe index: http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.il/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

I've had a lot of success with her recipes, and they're quite easy to adapt.
    Stephanie really got me started on the slow cooker - I'd tried a few things, but so many were either based on packets or (if they were from a UK recipe book) seemed to involve a lot of pre-cooking of meat etc - and so more time and more washing up! Because she has to cook gluten free there's a lot more "real" food and a lot fewer packets in ehr recipes.:bigsmile:
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bUMP FOR LATER!
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cook carne guisada in my slow cooker! I get any lean thin cut beef and cut into small pieces. Throw into the cooker. I season with any seasoning I have (I like mine spicy)

The sauce:
    Depending on how much meat you get:
    Roma tomatoes
    Serrano peppers
    Onion
    Garlic

I place it all into a blender. Mix. Pour it on top of the meat. Soooo yummy! Everything is fresh! And I serve it with whole wheat tortillas. It's really yummy!
  • foodlovermartha
    foodlovermartha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love the slow cooker! I use it all the time to make easy, healthy low calorie recipes. You'll find a ton of healthy low calorie slow cooker/crockpot recipes here!