Anybody going vegan or vegetarian besides me? :)

Options

Replies

• ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for 5 1/2 months. I've lost 97 pounds, so it has worked very well for me.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, you should check out this site called The Flaming Vegan. It's a blogging site where people post advice and recipes pertaining to both the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle :) It will be very useful to your transition.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 7-8 years. I was just as hungry then as I am as a carnivore. I was also about 60 lbs overweight when I was a vegetarian. Just FYI: It's not a miracle cure for obesity. Nor is it an ironclad way of making yourself "healthy." You can be just as unhealthy as a vegetarian as you can while eating meats and animal products.

^This. And that's why it irritates me when people say "Oh, I tried going vegetarian/vegan but I couldn't do it, I got sick/felt dizzy/etc. etc. etc." Well, yeah. If you're just only eating a salad or junk food all the time, of course you're going to be malnourished and then become sick.
  • ThePoppyFox
    Options
    I went full vegetarian about a year ago and went mostly vegan a few months ago. If I go out to eat and there isn't any good vegan options, I will just eat vegetarian but on the whole, I stay vegan. I love it, and I feel like I am doing something good for my body and the world. I just started on MFP and would love to have you as a friend :)
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I went vegan since 6 months now and i never felt better. I had so much stomach issues before, especially when eating dairy and meat, but now it just all vanished and i feel so good, have tons of energy, i make sure that i get enough of every nutrient ! ^^
  • Ellanueva
    Options
    I would really like to go vegan. I was a vegetarian for a couple of months and am ready to give up dairy! Do you mind if I follow you for support?
  • MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Meeeee! :) For me I feel like it will be fairly easy as I know how my tummy feels after a bit of dairy or meat....even breads. So going vegan is looking better and better to me everyday!
  • MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @lynalinda Sounds like my stomach problems now. Hoping to have the same good results you're having.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes.
    Apparently clinton eats Salmon and Eggs once a week to get his nutrients in. Thought that was interesting.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 9 years and then ate vegan for about 2 I fell off the wagon and have been eating just vegetarian for a while but recently devoted myself to veganism again. I know I gained a lot of weight when I went vegetarian and started eating dairy again so hopefully going vegan will help me shed some weight (though I am also very into the animal rights aspect).

Though it is very possible to still be an unhealthy vegan, there are still lots of junk foods you can eat you can eat way too many carbs. I have to learn to be a healthy vegan again myself.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, was a vegan for 15 years. My only real advice would be to make sure you get your b12 and don't overdo the soy it can cause hormonal problems if you start getting to much.
    I was a meat eater for a few years and just came back to being a vegetarian about a month ago, you definitely have to be more creative with your cooking to be vegetarian but its a good thing!
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    so he isn't a vegan then or a vegetarian hes more a switchatarian
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, was a vegan for 15 years. My only real advice would be to make sure you get your b12 and don't overdo the soy it can cause hormonal problems if you start getting to much.
    I was a meat eater for a few years and just came back to being a vegetarian about a month ago, you definitely have to be more creative with your cooking to be vegetarian but its a good thing!

^ this. Good advice.

And congratulations to the op. good for you.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    about 65% of the time, I'm vegan every time...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Flexitatrian is the word for it.

But he sure got himself some publicity by lying again. :-)

I wonder if Monica went vegan.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i've been vegetarian for 25 years. i've recently cut out milk and most cheeses. just need to ditch the occasional craving for eggs now, and butter.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    tod_vegan_powers_vegan_police_scott_pilgrim-924215.jpg?i
  • wendyholla
    Options
    I stopped eating meat a few months ago and I've never felt better. Haven't been able to give up the dairy yet, but am working on it. I watch my carbs very closely though so I don't overdo them. I'm not low carb by any means, but I don't want to substitute carbs for meat and gain weight instead of losing.