Running & Strength Training- Would love advice!

Options
For the last 3 years or so I have been pretty consistently lifting (not competitively, but definitely heavy weight strength training, mixed with HIIT workouts) and I have always ran (1-5 miles, did numerous 5ks). Last May I did my first half-marathon and it was definitely tough (I kid you not, it was an 85% up-hill course). I am doing another half-marathon in October, and I'm trying to build my workout schedule around running enough to prepare for it, but also continuing with my strength training/heavy lifting. I would love suggestions on schedules for how to incorporate both things!

Thanks!

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 years or so I have been pretty consistently lifting (not competitively, but definitely heavy weight strength training, mixed with HIIT workouts) and I have always ran (1-5 miles, did numerous 5ks). Last May I did my first half-marathon and it was definitely tough (I kid you not, it was an 85% up-hill course). I am doing another half-marathon in October, and I'm trying to build my workout schedule around running enough to prepare for it, but also continuing with my strength training/heavy lifting. I would love suggestions on schedules for how to incorporate both things!

Thanks!

Why don't you do a 3:2 split?

You can do 3 days of Full body work outs, then 2 days of running. That gives you 2 days rest.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You can do 3 days of Full body work outs, then 2 days of running. That gives you 2 days rest.

this! or if you want to prioritise your running at the moment, 2 lifting days and 3 running.
  • rg8817
    rg8817 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Thanks!

this! or if you want to prioritise your running at the moment, 2 lifting days and 3 running.

Thank you! I guess I was always in the (incorrect) mindset of 3 days on, 1 day off...repeat, repeat...I haven't tried any other splits, I'll give it a try!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you find a half marathon training program and follow it. Most plans usually allow for 2-3 days of cross-training that you could use for strength training. The first time I did a half, I used Hal Higdon's plan. ( http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide ) You can select one that fits your training ability.

Personally I think focusing on your running is important at this point. It's just getting your legs used to the beating that is inevitable with running long miles on pavement/concrete. Strength training definitely helps, but nothing beats learning how to run through those long miles and also how to fuel.
  • rg8817
    Options
    I would suggest you find a half marathon training program and follow it. Most plans usually allow for 2-3 days of cross-training that you could use for strength training. The first time I did a half, I used Hal Higdon's plan. ( http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide ) You can select one that fits your training ability.

Personally I think focusing on your running is important at this point. It's just getting your legs used to the beating that is inevitable with running long miles on pavement/concrete. Strength training definitely helps, but nothing beats learning how to run through those long miles and also how to fuel.

Thanks! I definitely know how important it is to focus on the running! I did that with my first- half and I felt like I lost a lot of my strength in other body parts as I was training for that, so I'm hoping this time around I can tweak a few things here and there and hopefully have a better outcome all around!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To some extent, your goals are competing with each other, so it'll be hard to really progress at both simultaneously. Figure out which one is your priority right now and focus on that.

Personally, I'd do 3-4 days of running and 2 days of weights.

I'd do 2-3 long runs and day 1 hill/speed work. I'd lift 2x week going full body both days. How you break up those days is largely up to you. I'd try to give 2 days in between lifting session if possible.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It only takes 2 heavy sets of leg exercises per workout to maintain.
    I would do 2 full-body workouts per week, and 1 or 2 longer runs.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying to do this too right now. (Sidenote- are you from Ohio? Because we had the Flying Pig in May that was almost all uphill and the Columbus Marathon is coming up in October. This is what I'm training for).

I am planning to run three-four days a week, do yoga or a barre class one day and then lift/cross train two other days. I really enjoy strength training so I don't want to give it up completely, but I do also think that it's hard to lift as much as you may want to and not sacrifice your ability to train for the half a little bit. I'll be interested to see what other people have to say.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Sounds to me like getting the half marathon is your bigger challenge, so you should make it your training priority. I'm not sure how you weight train, but if i were in your situation I would run a reduced schedule program like strong lifts 5x5 and be out running 4x a week.

Something like do 5x5 Monday and Thursday. Deadlift, squat, bench press, chin ups, barbell rows, etc. Just do the core lifts of the program.

Then run Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat, or Sun.

Don't focus on pushing more weight with the lifting, just maintain your current strength. That way you also won't be super sore on your run days.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You should do 3 days of running a week at least if you are trying to achieve any sort of personal goal other than just finishing. 4 days is better. I run 5.

I do 2 days of strength a week. Granted I'm doing body weight strength training, not heavy lifting at the moment, but that's just because I can't fit both running and going to the gym into my crazy schedule so i needed something I could do at home. I would do 2 days of fullbody lifting if I could fit it in.

I do sometimes have to move my schedule around so I do strength on days that I run, but as long as it's on an easy run day it's ok.

And hal higdon builds in stretch and strength into his schedule. I think it's 2 days in the intermediate half plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I'm in racing season I only lift 2 days per week....I go hard on those 2 days though and it's full body. I do Wendler's 5/3/1 with the 2 day (old gray pubes) split variation. Anymore than that and my training really suffers.

I do about 4 months where I'm just really focused on endurance training and racing with lifting only 2x weekly...then 4 months or so of really hitting it hard in the weight room 4x weekly and where my only cardio is really maintenance work for my runs and my bike...then another 4 months where I'm pretty well split between lifting 3x weekly and ramping up my runs/bike/swims 3x weekly in preparation to come full circle to racing season.

Earlier this season I was just trying to do too much...trying to get in all of my lifts and run and bike and swim...it was just too much and my body was breaking down to ****. I'm finding it much better to have "seasons" essentially.
  • rg8817
    Options
    You should do 3 days of running a week at least if you are trying to achieve any sort of personal goal other than just finishing. 4 days is better. I run 5.

I do 2 days of strength a week. Granted I'm doing body weight strength training, not heavy lifting at the moment, but that's just because I can't fit both running and going to the gym into my crazy schedule so i needed something I could do at home. I would do 2 days of fullbody lifting if I could fit it in.

I do sometimes have to move my schedule around so I do strength on days that I run, but as long as it's on an easy run day it's ok.

And hal higdon builds in stretch and strength into his schedule. I think it's 2 days in the intermediate half plan.

Thanks! I was following hal higdon's approach! And right now I'm already at at least 3 days a week, but I like the idea of 4 and 2 like you say!

Thanks everyone for the insight! I guess I should add..I'm in no way a "competitive" runner...I mean it's always a competition, but I just started getting really into running in the last year and a half or so, and even though my first half was brutal, I loved the feeling of running in it, so I want to continue doing races here and there, but I'm never one to run for prizes or awards...well at least not now ;) haha
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    You've probably already figured out what you're going to do, but I just wanted to throw in that I've been lifting heavy and just started training for a marathon (will be my second). It's always nice to know others have similar interests and goals :)

I'm running 4 days a week and lifting 2. But, I'm not lifting the day before my long run. I would consider adding some stretching or yoga either on your rest day or on a short run day.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to be a faster runner or a heavier lifter? Or is it just your goal to finish the half-marathon?

If you want to get faster, focus on strength exercises to help your form and speed. This is what I'm working on with my coach right now. He was very clear in warning me not to lift too heavy. He would rather I do another set (12 rep failure) than increase weight. Too much muscle will get in the way of your running performance. Also focus more on chest and back as opposed to biceps, triceps and forearms. This will help your posture and keep you from breaking down toward the end of your races. And you won't have to run with heavy muscles in your arms weighing you down.