Running questions

Options
Sorry, I don't have the patience today to sift through all the old running topics. I now run mostly 6 days/week. Anywhere from 2-6.5 miles a day. Been putting in 30-35 miles per week. Should I rest more than one day a week? I've improved to a 53 min 10k and a 24 min 5K. I'd like to go faster, what's reasonable for a 52 yr old? I'd like to get down to a 7 min pace. Also sometimes it's hard to fit in some strength training. At the moment I only have access to some dumbbells for arms, shoulders. Also I like to do a sit up routine and add push ups into my dumbbell routine. Should I do the weights on off running days? how many days per week?
So, I'm asking for advice on a good schedule for my running and strength training. Thx for any thoughts you have. Also I'd like more running and fitness friends...thx

Replies

• leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump for later for sure! I'm definitely not as committed as you are ( I run about 4 days a week and maybe 12-15 miles a week ) and I'm looking to start my Jillian Videos again but was curious how often everyone else does it. Been a rough past week trying to stay on track and would really like some help!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Re: Balance between strength training and running. This totally depends on what your goals are. If you goal is to be the fastest runner you can be, than the answer will be different from the answer you will get if your goal is to use running as a way to achieve balanced overall fitness. Different still is the answer if you goal is to add muscle and bulk and use running to get lean and lower body fat percentage.

I will make the assumption, based on your goal to reach a 7:00 pace, that you want the answers in the context of being the best runner you can be.

30-35 miles per week is a solid base to start from. Whether you need to rest more than one day a week depends upon how your body is responding to the stress that you put it under. If you are feeling tired and sore and can't seem to get through workouts, then maybe you need another rest day. If you are handling that load without any issue, then there is no reason to take additional rest.

If you want to get faster, then you are going to have to increase your mileage. Can you get faster by adding speed work and staying at 30-35 miles per week? Sure, you can. But you will reach a plateau at some point and the speed work will no longer be effective. That will probably occur around 6 to 8 weeks from the start of the speed work sessions.

What's reasonable for a 52 year old? Well, my coach is 57 and he is a 17 minute 5K guy, so I'd say that your goal of 7:00 pace (though you don't state what distance, I think you mean for 5K) is quite reasonable.

What I would do is start to slowly increase my weekly mileage. Make sure that each week you have at least one run that is 90 minutes (120 minutes would be even better) and two runs that are about 75 minutes long. These should be done at your easy run pace, which should be a couple minutes per mile slower than your 5K pace. Once you are at these levels and your weekly mileage is consistently in the mid 40 mile range, go run a 5K. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

At some point, you are going to want to incorporate some different paced running. I think that there are two elements that should be included, even during a base phase. I tempo run and some strides. Once a week, run 20 minutes of one of your hour long runs at a "comfortably hard" pace. Fast enough that you can answer a question with a 2 to 4 word sentence but not so slow that you could have a conversation or so fast that you can even get a word out. Also, once a week do 4 to 20 sets of fast strides of 40 to 100 meters long. Do these at the end of one of the 75 minute runs.

That should at least get your started. This is the base phase of a four phased approach to training. We skipped the strength phase in the beginning and went right to base. Do this for 8 to 10 week, slowly increasing your mileage and you'll see results.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My schedule is like this.

Monday: Rest
    Tues: Bike 20-30 miles
    Wed: Run 5 miles
    Thur: Swim 500-1000m, maybe run in the morning if I wake up early enough
    Fri: Run 5 miles
    Sat: Run 10+ miles
    Sun: Bike 70-100 miles

I am training for a century ride and an Olympic triathlon My short run days I work on speed and my long days I just worry about distance. I would like to switch my rest day to Friday so I could have a day to rest before my long runs but so far I haven't ran into issues with this schedule and I like having the day off on Monday after the weekend distances.

If you were new I would recommend more rest days but it looks like you are conditioned well enough that you needn't worry. You are at the point that only way you are going to get faster is through more running, so hit the trails.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    As a 47 year old, I say that a 53min 10k is a great time! :-)

That being said, there are ways to improve that do not require "more" time.

I suggest, adding hills into your schedule. (ie run hills one day instead of running distance). Find a decent hill close by and run up & down. Start with a low number of reps (3-4) work up to 10 - 12 and work to improve lap times as you go.

There are also Fartlek runs. On a 10k run, warm up for 1+ k then sprint full out for 15 - 20 sec, dropping back to your regular running pace (NOT to a walk), repeat. Like above start with just a few reps and build from there.

Lastly, switch out one run for sprints. Similar to fartlek but the sprint is over distance not time. The program I am on has the distance set at 1.6k (run 2x 800m - out and back) run back at regular pace (not walk).

The above is part of a program I am using to prep for my first marathon. Not sure I would follow it as part of a recreational/fitness program? It has been a demanding training program. Fun, but time & energy consuming.

That being said, I will be starting over again in Oct as I work with a group who will be preping for their first half in Feb. No rest for the wicked! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    7 min or faster for a 52 year old is not unreasonable. If you have gotten to 24 minutes on 30 to 35 miles a week I am pretty sure that with more smart training you can meet your goal.

First, I would recommend you read this book as it will give you a wealth of knowledge that you can use to improve your running. It also includes well respected training plans for every distance.
    Daniels Running Formula by Dr. Jack Daniels, PhD http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-2nd-Edition/dp/0736054928

Without knowing how you train right now its pretty hard to tell you specifically what to do. However, in general these things will help you run a faster 5K.

- More weekly mileage. If you have been running 30 to 35 then increase it to up around 40.
    - Weekly long run of at least 90 minutes, 2 hrs is better.
    - For a 5K you need specific speed training like once a week 10 x 400 meter intervals at a little faster than 5K pace. You only need to do these for about 6 weeks to get peak benefit for your current fitness level. After that you need to increase aerobic fitness before you can improve more.
    - For a 10K and beyond you need tempo runs - Runs of 20 to 40 minutes at around 20 sec slower than 5K pace. These are useful year round.
    - For best results run the easy runs easy and the hard runs really hard.
    - Proper recovery - if you start feeling run down for more than a couple of days in a row then rest. You will not improve without recovery. How many days you need to rest is entirely dependant on how fit you currently are and whether or not you keep your easy runs easy. If you run them too hard you have to rest more (a bad thing as that means less overall mileage)
    - Consistency - Don't take any time off. Consistency in training is the #1 most important thing to keep improving.
    - Weights - I have recently begun weight lifting and am finding that it helps. Probably the best thing is a program like stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength if you can get access to a gym. I am guessing that this is particularly helpful for older guys that may have let themselves slide for a few years and have reduced muscle mass from their yournger years (me). I lift on the same days I run and take 1 day a week off from everything.
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fartlek and hills always help me...as you get better at the hard stuff, your old rutine suddenly feels easy so I either go further or faster dependng on my mood. For me its about variety. I cycle and have a physical gardening job( lots of digging, heavy prunng etc with no fancy electric tools...just brute force! I also do pilates and jilian michaels fitness dvds and some yoga from time to time. When I feel like a break from hard runs I do something that works different muscle groups in different ways. I'm no expert. But I enjoy it, which is the whole idea afterall.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Sorry, i don't have anything to add. Lots of good information in here so i am saving to use later.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Amazing dedication, good for you! Go for your goal of 7 min, why not.
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    thanks for the good info, all. I will start adding to my miles per week starting tomorrow! I'm sure after awhile my times for 5K and 10k will will go down. I'm just going to add some weight work and push ups every other day countered by my sit up routine.

Here's to progress!
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Excellent guidance from Carson and Scott - I'm saving this.