Plateau...HELP!!

Options
I'm very discouraged at the moment. However, I will absolutely not give up. The fact that I'm young I believe I put my body into starvation mode by only eating 1200 calories a day then working out everyday ranging from a net of 0-1000 calories. I wasn't doing it on purpose just new to this whole thing. I thought if I reduced my calories I would keep seeing as many pounds lost as I did July 1st - July 15th but that is not the case. :( Please Help. I'm 5'4''. 19 years old and 180 pounds.. P.S. one day I was doing good with the scale. I weighed myself and it temporarily went to 177lbs I was estatic but 10 seconds later I got on the scale and I went back up to 180lbs. Then the next day I weighed in and my weight went to 179. now its back to 181. this is soo frustrating because I am losing fat off my body in inches but not weight . :(

Replies

• mlb567
    mlb567 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't obsessively weigh yourself... weigh once a week and you will get a better overall result instead of daily changes.
    In my opinion it is okay to only eat 1200 calories and not eat back exercise but there are differing views.
    You may want to bump them up as it is a bit extreme at your weight right now to only eat 1200.
    Sounds like you are pushing yourself really hard - I would do some research on what is right for you.
    Focus on the fat loss and size, take the journey more slowly and nourish your body as you lose the weight.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!! Your body is holding onto everything you are eating, your body needs fuel!! You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck.

ETA: I'm 5'2 eat between 1700-2000 calories!!
  • pjacademy
    Options
    My opinion is eat more :)

I am 5'7.5 and 180 pounds and am eating NET 1800 calories. SO on the days I run and do power90 I am actually eating 2100ish calories (more depending on how far I run)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Inches are just as valuable as the # on the scale.

Your body can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a day. So step away from the scale. Relax. It's not a plateau.

Here's a good guide.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And yes, what the others said. Eat more. I eat 1688 a day. I've lost 44 lbs. Win win.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    losing inches = success and counts for a whole lot more than what the scale says

water weight fluctuations will change your weight, maybe by as much as 5lb in a day... it doesn't mean anything. Fat loss happens slowly, so overnight gains of a couple of pounds is not from fat. Also, if your scale weight changes by 3lb in ten seconds, then that's your scale... sometimes they work better with new batteries. Plus scales are not all that accurate anyway. My barbell lost 0.2lb overnight, same weights on it and everything... just my scale is a bit temperamental. But really, don't give the scale so much importance... if you're seeing losses of inches then you're losing fat.

Have you recalculated your calories now? If you were undereating before, you will have lost a lot of water weight, and if you're eating the right amount now, you'll be regaining that water weight (which is a good thing) so that's probably the most likely explanation for the scale number not budging... you're losing fat, but gaining water. Both of these are good things, so don't stress about it, the water weight gains won't go on forever, once your body settled down from you eating properly, the scale weight will start to go down again from continued fat loss.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look into www.IIFYM.com
  • zandrathesweetheart
    zandrathesweetheart Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't obsessively weigh yourself... weigh once a week and you will get a better overall result instead of daily changes.
    In my opinion it is okay to only eat 1200 calories and not eat back exercise but there are differing views.
    You may want to bump them up as it is a bit extreme at your weight right now to only eat 1200.
    Sounds like you are pushing yourself really hard - I would do some research on what is right for you.
    Focus on the fat loss and size, take the journey more slowly and nourish your body as you lose the weight.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice. I'll definitely worry more about nourishing my body. I just have to try different things. It's hard when you never ate healthy or worked out then you jump into it knowing nothing. I have researched things like my tdee and whatnot. It says I burn a lot of calories a day and that I should consume 1800 a day so thats what im trying. eating more calories and burning more.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A plateau is when your weight doesn't change for a minimum of 4 weeks so you are not on a plateau. You are experiencing normal weight fluctuations. Stay off the scale if it upsets you.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    You need to eat more!! Your body is holding onto everything you are eating, your body needs fuel!! You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck.

ETA: I'm 5'2 eat between 1700-2000 calories!!
    Thats what it said I should eat. But im scared to eat that much like 1800 because my tdee may be lower than the estimate. and Thank you. You all should add me I could really use extra motivation and support
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    Look into www.IIFYM.com
    I will now thank you!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    if you're visually dropping fat, then you can calm down a little bit. "starvation mode" isn't what you think it is... it's not what most people think it is. What you're referring to is adaptive thermogenesis, and it's not some magical calorie threshold you cross that stops your body from burning fat. In reality it just means that your body will tend to prefer different types of energy stores based on things like blood sugar (and lots of other factors). I don't think that's happening to you... I'm absolutely not an expert, but I am an engineer with a solid education, and I consider myself skilled at picking through the BS from so many self-proclaimed experts to find the actual science. Based on that (which is *just my opinion*) I don't think you have to worry about the so-called "starvation mode".

given your height and weight it might help to eat a bit more protein and do some strength training, to encourage your body to use fat stores instead of muscle protein (while also increasing your BMR and overall health). You still have a high enough body fat percentage that you can afford to eat at a large deficit. netting only 200 calories per day on a regular basis isn't a great idea, but in reality you're not starving yourself. that word gets thrown around so much on these boards... not picking on you by any means. I just think that some people on here should take a trip to Africa and do some charity work before they start using the word "starve" so loosely.

The human body is widely accepted as one of the most efficient machines on the planet. When we increase our overall health and fitness, we increase our machine's ability to do just about everything, including burn fat. When doing something becomes easier for you, you will want to do it more. Find ways to have fun getting in shape, stay on top of your food intake, and I know you'll start seeing that scale number drop. Be very happy that you're already seeing progress in the mirror... I'm a tall guy with a big frame and 10 lbs off of me doesn't look like much.

keep it up! you'll get there :)
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    A plateau is when your weight doesn't change for a minimum of 4 weeks so you are not on a plateau. You are experiencing normal weight fluctuations. Stay off the scale if it upsets you.
    Doesn't have to be four weeks. Especially when you normally lose weight consistently every week and now I'm not changing. the scale fluctuates but I'm no where near the goal of two pounds a week lost like before. I have been starving myself without even knowing it even before I started this journey I wasnt eating enough. I would binge then starve myself (without knowing).
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    losing inches = success and counts for a whole lot more than what the scale says

water weight fluctuations will change your weight, maybe by as much as 5lb in a day... it doesn't mean anything. Fat loss happens slowly, so overnight gains of a couple of pounds is not from fat. Also, if your scale weight changes by 3lb in ten seconds, then that's your scale... sometimes they work better with new batteries. Plus scales are not all that accurate anyway. My barbell lost 0.2lb overnight, same weights on it and everything... just my scale is a bit temperamental. But really, don't give the scale so much importance... if you're seeing losses of inches then you're losing fat.

Have you recalculated your calories now? If you were undereating before, you will have lost a lot of water weight, and if you're eating the right amount now, you'll be regaining that water weight (which is a good thing) so that's probably the most likely explanation for the scale number not budging... you're losing fat, but gaining water. Both of these are good things, so don't stress about it, the water weight gains won't go on forever, once your body settled down from you eating properly, the scale weight will start to go down again from continued fat loss.
    Wow! thank you very much this is by the far the best explanation I have received. This just made me feel 100% better. You are right about all that. My body is just adjusting to me eating more calories. I will add you on MFP you seem like great motivation and support! Thank you again. I am consuming a net of 1800 now. I am eating way more than before.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Eat at least your BMR every day - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Based on your stats I get a BMR of 1650.

If you want to exercise hard and net under your BMR, that's ok as long as you feel good (not tired or really hungry). So you could eat 1650, burn 500 calories a day and net at 1150. I would just about guarantee you'd lose weight doing that.

And as others have said, weigh yourself once a week - same day, same time of day. You're looking for trends over a few weeks - if you're losing inches you will definitely see the scale start moving over the next few weeks.

Hang in there!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    IF you freak out about the fluctuations on the scale, then you should limit your scale weigh-ins to maybe once a week, or even once a month.

The scale is ONLY good for long term tracking, not day to day, hour by hour, minute by minute. The body weight will fluctuate too much for you to get a handle on things. I weight everyday, most of the time, twice a day. The numbers don't bother me, I use them as data points...but I only focus on the long term of the scale.

How your clothes fit, measurements, and pictures, that's how you're going to track your success.

This isn't about what you weigh today vs yesterday...it isn't even about what you weigh this week vs next week. Focus on longer term, like this month vs last month or this year vs last year.

Patience is your friend, and if you don't have any, you need to find some or this is going to be a much harder road than it has to be.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    if you're visually dropping fat, then you can calm down a little bit. "starvation mode" isn't what you think it is... it's not what most people think it is. What you're referring to is adaptive thermogenesis, and it's not some magical calorie threshold you cross that stops your body from burning fat. In reality it just means that your body will tend to prefer different types of energy stores based on things like blood sugar (and lots of other factors). I don't think that's happening to you... I'm absolutely not an expert, but I am an engineer with a solid education, and I consider myself skilled at picking through the BS from so many self-proclaimed experts to find the actual science. Based on that (which is *just my opinion*) I don't think you have to worry about the so-called "starvation mode".

given your height and weight it might help to eat a bit more protein and do some strength training, to encourage your body to use fat stores instead of muscle protein (while also increasing your BMR and overall health). You still have a high enough body fat percentage that you can afford to eat at a large deficit. netting only 200 calories per day on a regular basis isn't a great idea, but in reality you're not starving yourself. that word gets thrown around so much on these boards... not picking on you by any means. I just think that some people on here should take a trip to Africa and do some charity work before they start using the word "starve" so loosely.

The human body is widely accepted as one of the most efficient machines on the planet. When we increase our overall health and fitness, we increase our machine's ability to do just about everything, including burn fat. When doing something becomes easier for you, you will want to do it more. Find ways to have fun getting in shape, stay on top of your food intake, and I know you'll start seeing that scale number drop. Be very happy that you're already seeing progress in the mirror... I'm a tall guy with a big frame and 10 lbs off of me doesn't look like much.

keep it up! you'll get there :)
    Thank you hun! You really helped me! I just heard all my fitness coachs and before on MFP talking about starvation mode so thats why I thought I was in it. but the thing is I'm losing fat just not pounds. So I will try to relax about it more. It's a learning process. You seem very intelligent and I'm glad you shared that knowledge with me. :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Doesn't have to be four weeks. Especially when you normally lose weight consistently every week and now I'm not changing. the scale fluctuates but I'm no where near the goal of two pounds a week lost like before. I have been starving myself without even knowing it even before I started this journey I wasnt eating enough. I would binge then starve myself (without knowing).

I'm sure you know this, but just in case...You aren't always going to lose 2 lbs a week, especially the closer you get to your goal, it'll be harder and you'll have to change your goals from 2lbs a week to more like .5 lb or 1 lb a week.

I dropped a good amount of weight weekly and consistently, it has slowed down a bit and I am every bit okay with that, because it didn't get put on over night. These things will take time. It's not a race. Just takes time.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    Eat at least your BMR every day - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Based on your stats I get a BMR of 1650.

If you want to exercise hard and net under your BMR, that's ok as long as you feel good (not tired or really hungry). So you could eat 1650, burn 500 calories a day and net at 1150. I would just about guarantee you'd lose weight doing that.

And as others have said, weigh yourself once a week - same day, same time of day. You're looking for trends over a few weeks - if you're losing inches you will definitely see the scale start moving over the next few weeks.

Hang in there!
    Okay got ya! BMR of 1650. Thank you so much. I was weighing myself once every week then became obsessive over it. I'm going to go back to once a week. I'm going to take your word for it. I'm going to eat 1650 and I burn about 230-500 calories a day most days. I workout seven days a week. I WILL NOT give up!
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    IF you freak out about the fluctuations on the scale, then you should limit your scale weigh-ins to maybe once a week, or even once a month.

The scale is ONLY good for long term tracking, not day to day, hour by hour, minute by minute. The body weight will fluctuate too much for you to get a handle on things. I weight everyday, most of the time, twice a day. The numbers don't bother me, I use them as data points...but I only focus on the long term of the scale.

How your clothes fit, measurements, and pictures, that's how you're going to track your success.

This isn't about what you weigh today vs yesterday...it isn't even about what you weigh this week vs next week. Focus on longer term, like this month vs last month or this year vs last year.

Patience is your friend, and if you don't have any, you need to find some or this is going to be a much harder road than it has to be.
    Thank you. I am going to go back to weighing once a week. I have been obsessing about it lately because of the other people on my friends list who obsess about it. I am very patient and I weigh myself every day just to see where I'm not not to obsess over it. I haven't seen a weight loss in about two weeks thats why I was starting to get worried. You are right I have lost 8 pounds since July 1st so I should be happy about that.
  • zandrathesweetheart
    Options
    Inches are just as valuable as the # on the scale.

Your body can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a day. So step away from the scale. Relax. It's not a plateau.

Here's a good guide.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And yes, what the others said. Eat more. I eat 1688 a day. I've lost 44 lbs. Win win.
    Great job! Thank you so much. I'll take all this advice. very smart people on here :)